5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a beginner
I bought this book knowing absolutely nothing about programming. It begins at the very start, with the basics and explains the concept of everything you learn. I haven't finished the book yet, but so far it has been great. It does have a website paired with it, that I thought was a little tricky to navigate, but that is only necissary in downloading python. Even then,...
Published on 1 Sep 2011 by Clara

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow, but not so great for Mac Users
I have only gone through the first few chapters, but the book seems well written and easy to follow for people who don't know much about computers.

However there are some problems with it. One major one is specific to Mac users. This book is written for people using a PC and using Python version 3. The biggest problem with this is that Macs come with Python...
Published 15 months ago by pigrah

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, easy to do., 1 Sep 2010
This review is from: Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner (Paperback)
I have not read the book cover to cover, but I have scanned through the entire book including the chapter on the final games including animations, and it all looks very friendly to a new programmer like myself, I did not feel overwhelmed in any sense when reading anything in this book.
I have started to properly read the book although I have only progressed half way and the best features about this book are the fact that all the fancy nomenclature is well defined to a newcomer and explained in Layman's terms, and each piece of code and function has a dedicated section with an example program so that we can read about the code (and its uses) and write and execute the files created. There are always tips to prevent anybody falling into traps and losing their minds as we know this is a big thing with programming, and there are many challenges which are a nice touch to every chapter, where you are allowed to logically think through a program and think like a programmer. When you create programs, from challenges, that run successfully there is certainly a massive sense of achievement. I have spent in total 4 days reading this book and I think it is the best 16 inc first class postage that I have spent in a very long time now.

On one negative side, this is not a book with perfect grammar, there are many short sentences and some needn't exist, but as I said before it is very Layman, and the imperfect grammar doesn't affect the structure of the book as each section is concise within a couple of paragraphs and clearly titled.

I would give it 10/10

*Edit* I have now read the full book and the review stands, this is easily the best book for any beginner to python.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to Python, 3 Mar 2011
I. Cree - See all my reviews
This review is from: Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner (Paperback)
Having done programming several years ago I wanted to get back into it and had chosen python. However, I needed something to kickstart my learning. This book has definately fulfilld that objective. The book gives an easy introduction to programming as well as to how to write in python. The focus of writing small programs based on simple games brings the concepts, the author is introducing, to life and reinforces the point of the concept. I'm a little under half way through and can't wait until I've completed reading the book. The exercises at the end of the chapter chalenge you to write your own code based on what you have learnt in that chapter and are rewarding once completed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great intro, 17 Mar 2012
This review is from: Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner (Paperback)
As a fairly novice programmer (and completely new to Python), I found the book very well paced and very clear. Lots of examples with terms explained in an easy to understand fashion without feeling like too much of a hand-holding exercise. Despite having played with Tkinter for a couple of weeks, I found an answer straight away in the book that I failed to find after many many internet searches. I would recommend it to any novice programmer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got me into programming, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner (Paperback)
Preface: as a female in computer science, I have not always been encouraged to pursue my career path. This book introduced me to the wonders of programming, and shot down any argument against studying computer science.

I bought this book at age 15, after deciding that I was going to teach myself programming. My fascination for computers has always been great, and this book proved the perfect way into coding. Being project oriented, the book takes you through the basics of programming in Python, while making simple games. At the end, you are able to write more advanced games.

What is more important, is that this book teaches you to think like a programmer, rather than making Python the main focus. Python is just a tool, programming is what you learn. As most programmers know, that ought to be the main goal of any introductory book; to teach programming and not a language.

Great buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars I was very impressed with this book. An excellent buy for both newcomers and oldies., 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner (Paperback)
I used to program my Commodore and Atari computers 30+ years ago and I also programmed in Assembler language for IBM mainframe computers in the 1990's. I thought this would be a good place to start learning about Python, I made a good choice because the book is well written with clear examples and explanations. While not an absolute beginner as far as programming is concerned, Python is completely new to me and this book together with the Raspberry Pi is sparking an interest that I thought was long gone. I now have a head full of ideas to try out. While reading the explanations of sample code I found myself thinking of modifications I could try out which I often did in addition to tackling the challenges at the end of each chapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Book, 21 April 2012
Brian George - See all my reviews
This review is from: Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner (Paperback)
Buying computer programming books on-line can be risky business. I found some too complicated while others were more suitable as a reference source than as a training course. I wanted to learn Python and needed an "easy to read" book that took me from "Hello World" to a moderately advanced level in manageable steps. This book does exactly that - it is a completely self-contained course.

Some reviews comment adversely on how the book uses games programs to develop new concepts. Don't be put off by this - even if you have no interest in games, they are a good way of developing your skills and keep the course alive. Make no mistake, this is a serious book for developing serious programming skills !!

To be blunt, if you are not a whizz with Python after reading this book, then you are probably not cut out to be a programmer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paced learning, 14 May 2011
This review is from: Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner (Paperback)
This book was really good, the learning was paced and did not expect you to know a lot about programming prior to reading this book. Although it might help. This is a great started book and would recommend it to anyone who would like to start programming with python

5.0 out of 5 stars Python programming for the absolute beginner 3rd edition, 10 Dec 2010
This review is from: Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner (Paperback)
I've not completed this book yet, but so far it is very good. I've done programming before and was looking to pick up something new. Python seems to be a great language with very nice well thought out features. As a previous reviewer said, some books go from snail pace to ferrari all in the space of a chapter. This book carefully constructs more and more building blocks in an interesting way to introduce the concepts in a relevant way. Another thing that often irritates me is the number of mistakes in books that seem to be placed to cause maximum confusion. I haven't found one yet! I'm looking forward to getting to the end, and if it continues in the same fashion, I'm sure I will. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book (with a bit of hard work required!), 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner (Paperback)
I bought a Raspberry Pi as I wanted to have a go at programming, I am in the generation that didn't learn programming much at school - we were taught how to use Microsoft Office (yawn!). I had looked at other books about programming in Python and they all shared one common problem - they got too advanced too quickly. Using one book I made a very nice little graphical based game but had absolutely no idea what I was doing - I was just copying chunks of code from the book, so learning nothing about programming with Python.

This book does the opposite. It is based around the idea of lots of small projects where you learn the necessary skills to become a more independent coder. For example, there is one program that you make where you are pretending to be a car salesman. Entering the price of the car will calculate other "extras" and percentages on top. The code is provided and then the author explains what each part of it actually does. At the end of each chapter there are a set of challenges that give you similar utilities to try and make. So, in the previous example you are challenged to make a "Tipper" where someone in a restaurant can enter the price of the bill and it will calculate how much tip to give (depending on how much they enjoyed the meal).

The challenges at the end of each chapter are really important because it is here that you get the chance to apply the new skills you have learned - and there is a real sense of achievement when you manage to code something by yourself.

Hard work is needed to work things out and get a good understanding of what is going on, but if you are interesting in learning programming and are prepared to put in the work - then this book is a great starting point! Recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Easy, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner (Paperback)
It would be good for the first hand user, however if you were to know the basics of Python, it would be very easy, and you could just flick through the book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner
Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner by Mike Dawson (Paperback - 31 Jan 2010)
14.27