5.0 out of 5 stars Fairy tales for both young and old
Published on 27 Mar. 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT a complete book. :-(
When I received this good-looking book and opened the cover I almost had a heart-attack. The inside title page says "The Blue Fairy Book (A Selection)".

Published 3 months ago by cuyocksol

5.0 out of 5 stars Fairy tales for both young and old, 27 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
I bought this book for my then eight year old daughter two years ago. She reads very quickly and literally seems to eat books. This book and others in the series seemed to draw her back again and again until our copy was quite dog-eared. I recently, rather absent-mindedly, decided to pick it up and have a look at some of the stories for myself. I found myself glued to the sofa for several days, having to move straight onto 'The Grey Fairy Book'. These are as addictive as any modern day media. They are certainly not just for children and I would actually recommend them more to the teenager or young adult.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not all editions are created equal, 23 April 2009
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
If you are new to Lang, it started in 1889 with the blue fairy book, and then a series developed, yellow, crimson, orange, red, and so forth.

The fact that this series has endured to now is a testament to its quality.

As you read, you will discover fairy tales and myths from all over the world, including the well known writers such as Grimm, Andersen, Perrault, and Mme D'Aulnoy.

These are not the politically correct stories you might expect, and I believe you will find them useful whether it's for your own reading pleasure, of for passing on stories to children.

In fact, if you look beyond the surface of the story, there is a cautionary aspect for children who might get lost, and the evil characters they might meet like the wolf in sheep's clothing, or the boy who cried wolf, or the nice person who offers a gift, but is really a wicked queen in disguise.

There may be a young prince who helps a hairy man escape, and the king embarrassed and enraged orders the child to be killed. Naturally the woodsman slaughters an animal instead, and returns the heart to the king as evidence of performance of the deed.

There are stories of boys becoming men, being tested by the princess, and doing great deeds to prove their worth. Some characters are wicked and evil, and so the protagonist has to develop their resources to defeat the deceit, trickery, jealousy, ambition, and wickedness of the people they encounter.

I recommend you start with the blue book, because it has most of the best known stories, for example, Aladdin, Sleeping Beauty, Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Bluebeard, Puss in Boots. You can check the contents of each book at mythfolklore, and even read the stories online.

If you are buying Lang, you need to know which publisher, because there are many editions through different publishers, some are good with nice print and pictures, others have small print and no pictures.

I highly recommend the Dover edition which has pictures and good size print. These pictures are black and white drawings. The Boomer books edition has good size print. If you want a durable hardcover library style book with a red string bookmark, I recommend the D N Goodchild books. Avoid the compilation book, and buy them individually.

One of my favorite stories not in this edition is The wooing of Olwen. It's unusually cruel and bloodthirsty from Wales and King Arthur's court.

I hope you find this review helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blue Fairy, 3 Feb. 2012
My son and daughter loves this. Great and free, what more do you want? Great on the Kindle, and the kids have read it time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blue Fairy Book, 26 Sept. 2011
This review is from: THE BLUE FAIRY BOOK (Hardcover)
Ever since I saw the Folio Society editions of the Fairy Books I had wanted at least one copy but felt they were just too expensive. Now I own my own copy of the Blue Fairy Book which is in a good as new condition. It arrived promptly and more than matched its description.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT a complete book. :-(, 26 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Blue Fairy Book, The (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Children's Classics) (Hardcover)

NOWHERE in the product description does it say this is not the complete book. There should be 37 stories, but here there are only 29. Even when you click 'see inside' on this product's page it shows you the e-version of a different edition, which is complete! Extremely misleading.

I'm very dissatisfied with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars great copy of an old favourite, 6 Jun. 2013
I loved this as a child but this leather bound copy, bought for a friend's child, is extra special. I hope there will be more from the Lang series published by this company soon. Just one odd thing, I ordered it this month (June 2013) and Amazon are telling me that they delivered it n December 2012 - when I didn't even know it existed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 27 Jan. 2014
The book is such a lovely quality. Hard cover, white fine pepper and the stories are written in older style which is beautiful

5.0 out of 5 stars liked the book, 13 Feb. 2014
I chose this rate because it was what I was expecting and was good to read would recommend this product to anyone

4.0 out of 5 stars kindle!, 1 Feb. 2014
one of the o-so-many books I have on my kindle, good read and keeping on there to maybe read again in the future!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Aug. 2014
All good. There really is nothing to add.

Blue Fairy Book, The (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Children's Classics)
Used & New from: £5.99