4.0 out of 5 stars Fairy Tales Without The Fairies
Published on 4 May 2013 by Andrew England

3.0 out of 5 stars keep reading !
to be honestbought it jjust to read the original little mermaid story. Love it ! the other stories a bit more difficult to read. probably im just not in the right set of mind for all of them right now . i think everyone should have a copy for those days when they can feel everything is so magicfree.
Life is magic and these stories need reading ! generation after...
Published 3 months ago by chiara

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairy Tales Without The Fairies, 4 May 2013
I started reading this book because it was the first in a list of the Top 100 Books Of All Time and I was confused why such a title was in amongst the likes of Don Quixote and Crime And Punishment. But the more tales you read the more entrancing is Andersen's style. His recurring themes of religion, death and family take you to a world of moral fortitude and unflinching beauty. A lot of the tales feel relevant even today and the variety of location, character and length mean that they never get predictable or boring. Sure Andersen has some quirky sentences randomly thrown in but Fairy Tales is a must read for every adult with a streak of innocence left. The rest of the Top 100 have had the bar set high.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truely Beautiful Book to Own, 29 May 2013
R. E. Dutton "Richard Dutton" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hans Christian Andersen: Classic Fairy Tales (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics) (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic Collection) (Leather Bound)
Whilst on holiday in Paignton, Devon my wife was reminiscing about a Hans Christian Anderson book of fairy tales that she had owned as a child. A book that got lost in the mists of time. Whilst she was out I quickly looked up what Amazon had to offer and quickly came upon this gem. Using the Collect+ service I was able to have the book delivered just up the road from our holiday lodgings the very next day. She was absolutely thrilled and delighted, as were our children. The book itself is very well made and beautiful to behold. The stories contained . . . . well they are Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales need I say more? They contain a magic quality that is sadly absent from modern day children's books. It is a delight to read them for the first time of for the hundredth time. The price of the book considering its quality is almost a giveaway. I certainly and wholeheartedly recommend this fine publication

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic., 10 Oct. 2014
Beautiful book. I bought this as a Christmas present for my 4 yearold god-daughter. In an age where some children only read books in Kindle form I wanted her to have a book she'll never forget. The leather cover of this is beautiful and the illustrations inside are of the classic engraved sort. Some people may prefer a book with bright vivid pictures but I value this for the fact that it has a wonderful old feel to it. Ofcourse I cant say anymore than the other good reviews when it comes to the stories. True fairytales the way they should be. I'll be buying the other leatherbound titles for my children and Nieces. Very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful looking book., 3 Feb. 2015
I wanted to buy my daughter a keepsake of fairytales for when she gets a bit older. The book is even better in the flesh with a beautiful purple and gold cover, gold edging to the pages and beautiful illustrations inside. It's a nice size too and will easily fit on any bookshelf. I haven't started reading yet because it's for when my 2 year old is older but the size of the font isn't too small which is good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stories, 4 April 2014
All are great timeless stories, that all ages love. I have read them to my children and now my grandchild

3.0 out of 5 stars keep reading !, 28 Feb. 2015
Life is magic and these stories need reading ! generation after generation !

5.0 out of 5 stars ... just for The Little Mermaid as it is my favourite Disney film and my childhood favourite, 25 July 2014
Bought this just for The Little Mermaid as it is my favourite Disney film and my childhood favourite! Unsurprisingly, the film is COMPLETELY different to the original fairy tale. But, the writing is absolutely phenomenal. After reading that "Frozen" was based on the Snow Queen, I may read that as well as Frozen is another favourite of mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars how could you not like this, 23 Jun. 2014
this one also brought back memories of a younger age, forgot most of them till you see the titles, thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stories, 10 April 2014
I remember these stories from my youth and look forward to reading them to my granddaughter, as I hope she will enjoy them as much as I did when I was small.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant book., 14 Feb. 2014
Had this book when I was small and now its in a kindle version I read some of it to my kids on cold days snuggled under a duvet.