Published on 5 Aug. 2010 by Mrs. D. L. Powell

This is a review for the Kindle edition, I'm not sure the other editions suffer from the same problem.

Published on 16 Mar. 2011 by Rajat Mittal

5.0 out of 5 stars once upon a time.... fantastic storytelling and fantastic presentation, 5 Aug. 2010
I think a lot has already been said in previous reviews. You are NEVER too old to appreciate a fairytale. I wish I had read these years ago instead of now, at a current age of 45 years. They are quite short and succinct, with a variety of themes. These would make a great bedtime companion for anyone who enjoys reading bedtime stories to young children, although you may want to just preread the selected story to make sure it isn't too... gory I guess.

With regards the value and presentation, I cannot believe I paid less than £6.50 for this huge book. With over 800 pages, hard back bound, red edging to the pages etc it really is something that would grace any bookshelf.

The font size is just right, and the small b/w illustrations through add a nice touch. I appreciate they are not of the same standard as the colour version on the cover, but to be honest - I don't think the book should be marked down because of it. After all, it is the story I am after not the illustration.

Fantastic value. There are so many other books in the Wordsworth library collection to capture the eye, and I am proud to have 4 of them now.

Highly recommended. You will want to purchase a smooth/flat bookmark for this, as the thought of turning the corners over of the pages just does not bear thinking about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I expected and more!, 27 Feb. 2012
I had always been told the Disney films were nothing like the original stories and was eager to find out what scary extras Walt and the crew had been hiding. Apart from the original versions of these well loved classics there were new fairytales to explore. My six year old nephew particularly enjoyed "The Maiden With No Hands", which was quite a bizarre experience for both of us. That said, it really isn't something young children can read on their own as the translations are fairly sophisticated and when I was reading the stories to him I sometimes found myself 'dumbing down' a few of the words to make the reading more age appropriate. Not really an issue though as I mainly bought the book for me!

A word on the presentation of the book. Stunning! If you're like me and you like your classics to look classic then this is the perfect pruchase for you. Leatherbound, illustrated, gold page edging...it looks beautiful on a bookshelf!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Edition of Classic Fairytales, 19 Feb. 2012
Quinn (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a beautiful collectors edition of The Fairy Tales of The Brothers Grimm. The book is a purple material hardback with lovely gold lettering. The artwork on the front and back covers is simple and bright but it detracts a little from the old style of the book as they are actually stickers applied to the cover directly. Unfortunately there is no dust jacket or sleeve to protect the book but I think it looks quite striking without one.
The fairytales themselves are relatively short but each one is quite wonderful to read. Although you might be familiar with some of the tales such as Snow White due to modern Disney interpretations these stories are the original creepy fairytales rooted in morality rather than 'living happily ever after'. Each story has a gold title page and is accompanied by illustrations that are as diverse and interesting as the fairytales. The artwork ranges from the 1950s to more modern pieces and will appeal to both adults and children.
The stories in this edition are as follows:
The Frog Prince, The Wolf and The Seven Little Goats, Little Brother and Little Sister, Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretel, The Fisherman and His Wife, The Brave Little Tailor, Cinderella, Mother Holle, Little Red Riding Hood, The Bremen Town Musicians, The Devil With The Three Golden Hairs, The Shoemaker and The Eleves, Tom Thumb's Travels, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Rumpelstiltskin, The Three Feathers, The Golden Goose, Jorinda and Joringel, The Goose Girl, The Twelve Dancing Princesses, The Star Coins, Snow White and Rose Red, The Hare and The Hedgehog, Puss 'n Boots and The Golden Key.
Overall I think this is a wonderful and well-presented edition with a huge selection of fairytales to be enjoyed at any age - I would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Edition of Grimm's Fairy Tales, 14 Feb. 2014
I will not comment on the fairy tales themselves, only that this edition uses the popular and brilliant 1897 Margaret Hunt translation.

This book is as well constructed as can be. When reviewers say, 'this is the best book I have ever owned', we have no way of knowing if they are paperback buffs or hardcover lovers. Therefore, I will say I am a member of the Folio Society, I love quality bindings, and this is a seriously well-done book. It is clothbound, and the cloth is superb. Very soft, wonderful to touch, and is not fluffy with errant threads. It has trees and the title emblem printed directly on the cloth, which is very beautiful. No cheap glitter, and is very tight. The golden bookmark is excellent. Often you will find thin bookmarks that haven't been stitched at the end, which eventually unravel. This has been stitched, and it will not unravel at all. The book is sewn, and opens flat. The paper used is thinner than average (probably 60 gsm), and is perfectly manageable and opaque. It is well printed, and the illustrations are clear and sharp, as is the font. The colour illustrations are even printed separately on glossy paper for greater clarity.

Finally, what I consider a great achievement, as it is rare, is that the boards used for the book are very sturdy, but the real treat is the slipcase. Those of you who know the Folio Society know that each book comes with a slipcase. I have many Folio books, and many of their limited editions, and they have never produced a slipcase as sturdy as this one from Race Point Publishing. It is exceptionally strong, and will protect your books for many, many years. It also have a marvellous glossy cover featuring trees and titles. My single gripe is that the book protrudes about 2.5mm out of the slipcase, which makes no practical difference to this brilliant book.

I honestly can't believe the price of this volume. The only difference between a £40 cloth-bound Folio Society book and The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales is that one was Printed in Germany, the other Printed in China. Look out for the other volumes in the Knickerbocker Classics by Race Point Publishing! So far we have the Complete Brother’s Grimm, The Complete Sherlock Holmes, and now The Complete Edgar Allan Poe. Keep ‘em coming!

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful edition, 25 May 2014
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
For a long time, I have wanted a complete edition of the tales collected by the Grimm brothers. One of the nicer editions that I owned was by the Folio Society, yet this was not complete. When I saw this edition by Knickerbocker, I instantly knew that I had found what I was looking for.
The book is beautifully presented within a protective slip case. The front cover has a fantastic design of trees, this is also on the slip case. What better cover than that for a collection of fairy tales? This particular edition also benefits from black and white drawings and colour illustrations by Arthur Rackham. As an illustrator of fairy tales, Rackham was one of the best. The only gripe that I have with the production of this collection is that the colour plates do not appear within the story that they come from. However, this is a very small gripe and was often the usual practice of fairy tale collections.
This book would make a lovely gift. Perhaps a word of caution does need to be mentioned for those who would hope to read these tales to their young children; the tales within this collection were not originally intended for very young children. The details of many of these tales are dark and quite gruesome. Therefore, if you do want to read this to younger children, it may be an idea to read through the tales on your own first.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book with the REAL fairytales..., 19 April 2010
Cassandra220689 "Cassandra220689" (East Kilbride, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I love this book!!!

It is so beautiful with its red material and gold writing, not to mention the red tipped pages of the book. It is not very often you get a book like this one. And its appearance reflects the old fashioned stories, folk lore tales and legends that lie inside.

The Brothers Grimm were true story tellers and the tales in this wonderful collection show the true origional stories before they were changed through the passing of generation to generation and of course, by Disney.

The Brothers Grimm stories and tales are a lot more darke, gothic and slightly out there than the modern day versions of what these tales have become. But they are what they are meant to be, back when these stories were used to scare children and people into behaving in a certain way in fear of the unknown such as the forest and what lurks inside.

Due to this dark nature that some of the tales take on, these 'bedtime stories' may be suited for slightly older children. For example the original Cinderella tells of how the ugly step sisters have their eyes pecked out by birds and are blinded. Not for light bedtimes stories I think you will agree!

Having said this though, let your children hear the stories when you think they are old enough and as the Brothers meant for them to be told. They are more imaginary and wonderful than anything for children that is available nowadays.

I only wish I had had this collection when I was younger!

Cassandra220689

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 12 Nov. 2011
I'm very pleased I purchased this book. I've always been a huge fan of the Brothers Grimm and their work, and browsing through Amazon I found this beautiful and book. The book arrived extremely fast (for just 3 days and I live in Macedonia) and was in excellent condition. I know that this is a place where you write reviews about products, not about the author or the book, so I'm just going to say that this book is definitely worth buying! The binding is fantastic, the cover as well and the paper quality is suburb. The font is very pleasing and readable for everyone, and the images are very clear and placed very properly. So, if you're fan of great fairy tales and books with superb quality, that this one's for you! I've noticed that there are other good books by Wordsworth Library Collections, so I'll be coming back on Amazon any time soon, for purchasing more great quality books. Thank you, Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazingly beautiful product, 18 Sept. 2014
I don't normally rate my purchases but I feel I had to with this book.

I purchased it with a view of using it in my English class as an alternate version of the stories that children grow up hearing and showing how they were originally told. I was impressed with everything about the book. The way the book feels when you hold it and the quality of the paper. It evens smells amazing (yes I like the smell of books). Better than I expected and well worth the money. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Corker, 27 Oct. 2011
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Many modern readers believe that the Brothers Grimm were all sweetness and light, usually as their tales have been bought and translated to the modern medium of film by companies like Disney, for those of us raised with the older material, you'll more than be aware of the darker and, at times, quite scary tales that we were raised on that contained hidden morals and messages for the reader to learn.

This title by Taschen is a wonderful new translation of the original text (now celebrating its second centenary) by Matthew Price, picked up with artwork from some of the original stories alongside some modern masters to create a truly unique experience. It's dark, its foreboding but most of all it's a book that children will love (after all who doesn't like a scare just before lights out? Add to this some insight into the stories for the adult reader and this is a book that will beloved for generations. An absolute cracker of a title that will appeal to the child in all of us and a book that I feel will make one of the most amazing gifts this Christmas. Magic.

2.0 out of 5 stars Note that this is not the "complete" collection as the title implies, 16 Mar. 2011
Rajat Mittal (London, UK) - See all my reviews

I bought the book based on the title, believing I'm buying the complete collection of Grimm's Fairy Tales. As this is a classic text that I'm familiar with, I didn't feel I needed to read the product description. However, if you read the description, you'd realise that this edition only contains 62 stories. The truly "complete" collection contains about 210 stories. In fact, as of today, the synopsis for this book still inaccurately states that this is the "classic edition of 210 ageless tales." I believe calling this the "complete" collection is misleading - disclosure in the description not withstanding.

In terms of the stories themselves, I rate this collection very highly indeed, and found the book a very enjoyable read. Would have been 4 or 5 stars had this really been the complete collection as I expected.

Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic Collection)