Published on 5 Aug 2010 by Mrs. D. L. Powell

This is a review for the Kindle edition, I'm not sure the other editions suffer from the same problem.

Published on 16 Mar 2011 by Rajat Mittal

5.0 out of 5 stars once upon a time.... fantastic storytelling and fantastic presentation, 5 Aug 2010
I think a lot has already been said in previous reviews. You are NEVER too old to appreciate a fairytale. I wish I had read these years ago instead of now, at a current age of 45 years. They are quite short and succinct, with a variety of themes. These would make a great bedtime companion for anyone who enjoys reading bedtime stories to young children, although you may want to just preread the selected story to make sure it isn't too... gory I guess.

With regards the value and presentation, I cannot believe I paid less than 6.50 for this huge book. With over 800 pages, hard back bound, red edging to the pages etc it really is something that would grace any bookshelf.

The font size is just right, and the small b/w illustrations through add a nice touch. I appreciate they are not of the same standard as the colour version on the cover, but to be honest - I don't think the book should be marked down because of it. After all, it is the story I am after not the illustration.

Fantastic value. There are so many other books in the Wordsworth library collection to capture the eye, and I am proud to have 4 of them now.

Highly recommended. You will want to purchase a smooth/flat bookmark for this, as the thought of turning the corners over of the pages just does not bear thinking about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing edition, 22 Mar 2014
The book is cased beautifully and contains every single one of the stories as close to the originals as I've found so far. The Illustrations are all really lovely and the pages feel great! This is the edition I would recommend if you are wanting the buy the original stories!

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book with the REAL fairytales..., 19 April 2010
Ms. C. A. Anderson "Cassandra220689" (East Kilbride, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I love this book!!!

It is so beautiful with its red material and gold writing, not to mention the red tipped pages of the book. It is not very often you get a book like this one. And its appearance reflects the old fashioned stories, folk lore tales and legends that lie inside.

The Brothers Grimm were true story tellers and the tales in this wonderful collection show the true origional stories before they were changed through the passing of generation to generation and of course, by Disney.

The Brothers Grimm stories and tales are a lot more darke, gothic and slightly out there than the modern day versions of what these tales have become. But they are what they are meant to be, back when these stories were used to scare children and people into behaving in a certain way in fear of the unknown such as the forest and what lurks inside.

Due to this dark nature that some of the tales take on, these 'bedtime stories' may be suited for slightly older children. For example the original Cinderella tells of how the ugly step sisters have their eyes pecked out by birds and are blinded. Not for light bedtimes stories I think you will agree!

Having said this though, let your children hear the stories when you think they are old enough and as the Brothers meant for them to be told. They are more imaginary and wonderful than anything for children that is available nowadays.

I only wish I had had this collection when I was younger!

Cassandra220689

2.0 out of 5 stars Note that this is not the "complete" collection as the title implies, 16 Mar 2011
Rajat Mittal (London, UK) - See all my reviews

I bought the book based on the title, believing I'm buying the complete collection of Grimm's Fairy Tales. As this is a classic text that I'm familiar with, I didn't feel I needed to read the product description. However, if you read the description, you'd realise that this edition only contains 62 stories. The truly "complete" collection contains about 210 stories. In fact, as of today, the synopsis for this book still inaccurately states that this is the "classic edition of 210 ageless tales." I believe calling this the "complete" collection is misleading - disclosure in the description not withstanding.

In terms of the stories themselves, I rate this collection very highly indeed, and found the book a very enjoyable read. Would have been 4 or 5 stars had this really been the complete collection as I expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I expected and more!, 27 Feb 2012
I had always been told the Disney films were nothing like the original stories and was eager to find out what scary extras Walt and the crew had been hiding. Apart from the original versions of these well loved classics there were new fairytales to explore. My six year old nephew particularly enjoyed "The Maiden With No Hands", which was quite a bizarre experience for both of us. That said, it really isn't something young children can read on their own as the translations are fairly sophisticated and when I was reading the stories to him I sometimes found myself 'dumbing down' a few of the words to make the reading more age appropriate. Not really an issue though as I mainly bought the book for me!

A word on the presentation of the book. Stunning! If you're like me and you like your classics to look classic then this is the perfect pruchase for you. Leatherbound, illustrated, gold page edging...it looks beautiful on a bookshelf!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!, 20 Aug 2014
Emily Russell (Leeds, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I'd come on to Amazon and was looking for a copy of the complete Grimm's as I'm a huge fan of their works, modern, retold and the classics. I read so many reviews, and as this one had the most positive ones, my copy really lived up to my expectations.

The book (hardback edition) is beautifully presented, the pages (all 848 of them) although they could be considered thin by some, are edged in red and the font isn't too small or big. The illustrations, although not to the same standard as the one on the cover, complement the stories well. The book also looks wonderful on your bookshelf!

Although I've only read one or two of the stories so far, they are well-suited to many ages (and I'm 23, so it shows anyone can still enjoy a fairy story). However, most of the stories are probably more suited to adolescents and upwards, but I'm sure more mature children can enjoy them too. I know I would have done! But if you are worried, just have a quick read yourself to see if you think it's suitable for your child's bedtime!

When I showed some of my friends the book, they were surprised to find out I'd only paid 4.80 for such an amazing book, as I have to agree, it does look like you would pay at least 15 for. So it is brilliant value; it's tempted to me to get a few more from the collection!

Overall I'd highly recommend the book for anyone looking for the Grimm's works!

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS!, 11 Mar 1999
By A Customer
I love this book, it's so handy to have all of their fairy tales in one, and the old style illustrations are charming. Call me childish, but I never get tired of reading fairy tales. This book is also good bargain - can you imagine what it would cost to buy all of the fairy tales book by book?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection, 3 April 2008
It's a great collection of fairy tales, and the illustrations are suitable for the book. It's not really aimed at little children, but good for older children and older I think. There are stories that seem similar to each other but I think it's dealable with because it's undoubtable that some traditional tales passed down are similar to each other.
Really good stories include Cinderella, Mother Holle, Maid Maleen, Fitcher's Bird and some other well known ones like Snow White and Little Red Riding Hood and some les well known stories.
I highly recommend this to people who like fairy tales, this is a really good editiion of Grimm's Fairy Tales

3.0 out of 5 stars MIXED FEELINGS, 28 Mar 1998
By A Customer
I loved the old fashioned illustrations but it wasn't "genuine Grimms" in my opinion and the stories themselves had been rearranged from their original order. A common mistake, but I prefer the stories as they were meant to be arranged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Treasure it, 12 Sep 2012
Duechristmas (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic Collection) (Leather Bound)
Beautiful, a book to treasure. The stories are familiar yet unfamiliar, much more grown up than the saccharin Disney version.

Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic Collection)
17.00