5.0 out of 5 stars Growing into a Man
Tom Sawyer is the first great coming of age American novel. In addition, Tom Sawyer is one of the most endearing characters in American fiction. This wonderful book deals with all the challenges that any young person faces, and resolves them in exciting and unusual ways.
Like many young people, Tom would rather be having fun than going to school and church. This...
Published on 13 May 2004 by Donald Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars .The Americans in this period seem very backward.
Lives up to his reputation as a good story teller, but a little disappointing if he is considered to be the great American writer.
Published 4 days ago by anthony b.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic story of boyhood, 12 Feb. 2007
S. A. Maskrey (Derby, England) - See all my reviews
Whatever age you are, this book is sure to enjoyed by all. Some people will read it as a purely entertaining account of the childhood of an over-imaginative but loveable boy. Even today, Toms exploits reverberate with growing up, and the pure joy of being young and free. Sadly, in a world of growing regulation and overprotectiveness by parents, some of the adventures of Tom Sawyer will not sadly be enjoyed by todays average twelve-year-old, but are still sure to be understood and provide amusement to all young people.

It is difficult to compare this novel with Huckleberry Finn, and at times seems to be written by a different author. That said, it typifies much of Mark Twain, and the area of the US in which he grew up, without relating too much to the serious issues that lie just under the surface of Huck Finn.

Overall, it is a book that deserves to be read, preferably as a child, and by those [slightly older people] that remember growing up and getting up to some of Toms adventures as a child, and want to reminisce.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Value, 23 Nov. 2009
Mr. Robert Black "Glenallan" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
A Classic volume suitable for boys. Bought for my Grandson.
Incredible value for a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful edition, 18 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic Collection) (Leather Bound)
This isn't my first B&N leatherbound classic purchase and it won't be my last. Great editions of great works, I don't buy many paper copies these days but these make brilliant gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 14 Jan. 2011
The book looked small in the picture but when I opened it I have a very nice surprise to find a book like this with awesome illustrations for a story that is written for children and for adults. I am very pleased!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful view into the mind of growing kids!, 18 Oct. 2013
Stewart M (Victoria, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a really wonderful read. The fact that I need to say that is based on my experiences of other classics, which I have often found disappointing! Nothing could be further from the case here.

Although the settings - and some of the behaviors - in this book are dated, it is the understanding of the minds of the young characters that makes the book so readable.

The `psychology' aspect of the book has not really dated at all - the need to impress and be wanted and the "you'll be sorry when I'm gone" thoughts leading up to a runaway are all wonderfully explored.

This is not a long book, but it is a good one.

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Review, 2 Mar. 2006
“The Adventures of Tom Sawyer” is an amazing book. Mark Twain was excellent with his characters. He created them with the intent that we can relate to them. I think that there is a young Tom Sawyer in all of us. There is always that little spark for adventure. We all at one point in our life wanted to experience the things that Tom did. That is why he is a character that everyone loves. I’m pretty sure that everyone has a young Sid in their life, someone that is there to get them into more trouble. The reason this is a good book is because it allows the reader to escape their life and walk in the shoes of adventure. At points there is also suspense to keep the reader itching for more. If you pick this book up you will not be able to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars RE-READING FAVOURITES FROM MY CHILDHOOD, 8 Nov. 2013
IN CONVINCING HUBBY HE SHOULD READ SOME CHILDHOOD CLASSICS I DECIDED TO DO THE SAME SECOND TIME AROUND. STARTING WITH THIS ONE I CANNOT REMEMBER IT BEING SO DIFFICULT TO READ WHEN I WAS YOUNGER OR MAYBE I HAD A SIMPLIFIED CHILDREN'S VERSION THEN. I AM STICKING WITH IT THOUGH AND FINDING IT VERY ENJOYABLE. I DON'T KNOW IF HUBBY WOULD GET ON WITH THIS ONE AS SO DIFFERENT FROM RLS ADVENTURES.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat the old ones, 31 Oct. 2009
J. P. Mcneill "jonpat" (Cumbernauld, Glasgow United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A book one can confidently let the children read; No real violence, sex, horror etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samuel Longhorn Clemens can sure tell a yarn, 17 Aug. 2014
I read this before I read Huckleberry Finn and found this book hilarious in parts and wondered about the imagination of the author. This was a great adventure and ought to be read by youths whose parents have grounded them, or will not allow them out to hang around acting like Tom Sawyer on speed.lol

5.0 out of 5 stars the adventure of tom sawyer, 2 April 2014
I love this book. A return to a younger life, more ejoyable a second time time round and from a different prospective.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic Collection)