on 15 June 2013
Honestly, I bought it because of the cover - it is soooo beautiful! Also, the contents are, of course, great.
Overall the whole series of leather bound books seem to have a truly talented illustrator - you have to increase his/her salary because... well, let's face it - people mostly buy books in such an amazing cover as a gift.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I received this book as an early birthday present, having already received Count of Monte Cristo by the same publishing company (Barnes & Noble). The covers of both books are absolutely stunning, with graphics depicted in deep red, gold and black on the Jules Verne and blue, gold and red on the Count of Monte Cristo. These bonded leather Classics all come with an integral silk ribbon bookmark and the gilt edging to the pages is a feature very rarely seen today, which is a shame as it gives the book a richness that sets it apart from more mundane volumes. This book also has a beautiful engraving of a world map on the inside front cover.

The book contains several of the most popular stories by Jules Verne. Perhaps the most famous being Around the World in Eighty Days and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, both of which were made into successful films. There is also Journey to the Centre of the Earth, (another film?), Round the Moon, From the Earth to the Moon, Five Weeks in a Balloon and The Mysterious Island.

Jules Verne, the Frenchman and the slightly later English author H. G. Wells are considered by many to be the forerunners of modern Science fiction and it is easy to understand why. Jules Verne had a very fertile mind and was in many ways well ahead of his time, many of his ideas particularly about space travel not coming to pass until more than half a century after his death in 1905.

The stories are still as exciting and thought provoking today as they were over a century ago. However for me the star of the show is definitely the sumptuous treatment given to this edition of the book by the publishers. It takes the book to another level and deserves pride of place in any bookcase.
on 7 February 2013
I really liked this edition.
It actually looks better on the photos, but still it s very nice

The only small issues are the smallish font and the rather thin paper used. I would prefer to have 6 novels in it and have a bit bigger font or thicker paper.
I would also like some illustrations in there, but....
Anyway, a good value for the price.
on 9 April 2014
I bought this book for my bookworm husband. He absolutely loved it as a book to keep on the bookcase rather than read, as it looks great with it's red hardback cover and gold edged pages and books that looked this good are for looking at, not reading. It was very well packaged and arrived within a few days of ordering.
on 9 September 2013
Being a bit of a sci-fi geek I loved this collection of Jules Verne books and the product picture does not do this product justice, it is a gorgeous hard back book that I almost couldn't bring myself to bring it out the packaging to read for fear of spilling some coffee on it.
on 26 September 2014
This was ordered with 2 other books on sunday afternoon and were delivered on Monday morning, I have no idea how they were delivered so quickly, the books were a lot cheaper than a high street book store. I cannot praise enough.
on 8 May 2014
Bought this for a birthday present for my daughters fiancé,
He absolutely loved it and when I visited it took pride of place on his book shelves!
It is beautifully finished and looks so much more expensive than I paid
on 13 May 2013
I bought this as a present for my daughter and she loves it. The leather binding is very attractive and the quality of print excellent.
It goes without saying that the stories are fascinating, and beautifully translated.
on 2 January 2014
I bought this for my teenage son who was really delighted with the quality and look and feel. It also feels like it can still be read whcih si sometimes the problem with books of this style.
on 21 February 2013
Absolute quality, love it. Its as described and more. Book is heavy, cover feels just superb. Defiantly would recommend. Best Jules Verne novels in one book.