‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 14 Jan 2011
This review is from: Iliad & The Odyssey, The (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic Collection) (Bonded Leather)
Really good quality, better than it looks in the picture. Bit heavy though so not great for bedtime reading or travelling. The literature itself is a pretty modern translation which makes it easier to read than some editions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic buy, 30 Dec 2011
This book will make a wonderful addition to my shelves of books. It is finished to a very high standard with gold edges to pages and looks very expensive. A very good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 29 Dec 2011
Great book, superbly presented. Beautifully leather bound, top quality product. Content wise - obviously a classic. Vert impressed with the physical look & feel of the book itself too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 11 April 2014
Marvellous translation of this great, classic work accentuated by the beautiful book. I am very glad that I chose this copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to re-read the classics, 16 Jun 2014
This hardback is a weighty tomb to carry the e version on kindle is great, it makes it so much more accessible

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic., 14 Feb 2013
Beautifully bound and a good read too, what more could you ask for?! This is how every book should feel and look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, 13 Dec 2012
I ordered this book so I could recieve it at my acedemic prize giving, where it was going to be awarded to me for my high grade in Classical Civ. Therefore I wanted something with a bit of ceremony, when I came across this copy of Homer's epic poems I knew it was the one I wanted. It is now one of my favourite books, the cover is just gorgeus and the translation is very good. I love the fact that it is leatherbound and I know I will keep it forever. It is now pride of place on my bookshelf and I highly reccomend it to anyone who is passionate about classic literature!

5.0 out of 5 stars Iliad & The Odyssey, 23 Aug 2012
I bought this book as an 18th birthday present for my nephew. It is a beautiful good sized leather bound classic. My nephew was delighted and in awe of the quality of the cover and gold edged pages. Excellent buy, I would not hesitate to recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks Amazing!!!, 10 Aug 2011
This book looks absolutely amazing, though its not really a reading copy - its too heavy and not handy - personally I would prefer reading penquin paperback. It will do as a present or if you collect books and think of them in terms of decoration.

What I do not like about this book is that its translated and displayed on pages like a novel rather than epic.
Nonetheless Butlers translation is good quality and pleasant to read.

I recommend this to anyone (although if you have never before read Homer's work, you want to read it and you dont care about the cover - penquin paperback will be much better for you)!

I would go for Butler's translation mainly because of his invocation to Illiad which i believe became famous in english more than any other version

'Sign, O goddess, the anger of Achilles, son of peleus, that brought countless ills upon the Acheans!'

Marvellous! This one sentence and beautiful cover make the book worth its price!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 12 Jun 2012
Mrs. L. P. Pert "'s daughter" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
Got this book for my boyfriend for his birthday. It's absolutely gorgeous - gilt-edged pages, embossed cover. Butler's translation is very readable, but I'm not sure why Barnes & Noble have gone to the trouble of Americanising his spelling? Seems a lot of work for something so superficial.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Iliad & The Odyssey, The (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic Collection)
Used & New from: £15.72