5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it.
Published on 19 Jun. 2010 by Charlie

3.0 out of 5 stars Crazy Love: Right Diagnosis, Wrong Prescription?
Crazy Love is a popular book. Its cover declares that over one million copies have been sold and it contains endorsements from Joni Eareckson Tada, Kirk Cameron and Chris Tomlin. It seems its influence has been widely felt and its message well-received.

Published on 8 July 2011 by Administrator

3.0 out of 5 stars Crazy Love: Right Diagnosis, Wrong Prescription?, 8 July 2011
This review is from: Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God (Paperback)

Chan's book contains many important, yet neglected truths. He emphasizes the necessity or a proper view of who God is, describing the splendour of His creation and the glory of His attributes. He reminds us of the `vapour' that life is...in a rendition that brings to mind the first line of Rick Warren's bestselling The Purpose Driven Life: "It's not about you." He also heralds the cry that "the greatest good on this earth is God...God's one goal for us is Himself." (62)

The core of Chan's book is its insight and criticism of average Christianity. He rightly diagnoses professing Christians of living distracted lives, lives full of things other than God and barren in true spirituality. In a landmark chapter, he has the courage to make the most devastating statement in the book, one our culture desperately needs: "As I see it, a lukewarm Christian is an oxymoron; there's no such thing. To put it plainly, churchgoers who are "lukewarm" are not Christians. We will not see them in heaven." (84) In one sentence, Chan sounds the death-knell of most of professing Christendom.

While Chan's book is good, it fails at one point, perhaps the most important point of all: not the diagnosis, but the prescription. After a breath-taking analysis of `lukewarm Christianity' Chan encourages readers to seek God and "focus more on Christ" (104) in the final chapters. However his call is missing one major component: an emphasis on the necessity and efficacy of the sacrifice of Christ. There is little or no mention of repentance, of the Gospel, or of sacrifice for sin. The omission seems glaring in pages which seem to offer little more than generalities...and which could be fatally understood as encouraging a type of works-salvation. While Chan's analysis of contemporary Christianity was wonderful, his prescribed cure seems less so. This is disheartening and dangerous and may leave the reader disappointed, with more questions than answers, knowing the sickness but not the solution.

The only solution to lukewarm Christianity is to truly understand that Christ was not lukewarm for us. Sin was so serious that He must pay the ultimate price. The cross that divided history is the only hope for fallen man. Only when we are illuminated by the light of that cross will we receive the grace that can truly make us "hazard our lives" for God...in response to His "crazy love" for us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., 19 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God (Paperback)
I recently heard Francis Chan speak at my Church so bought his book. I do suggest listening to how he speaks (try YouTube for videos). Knowing the tone of his voice and how passionately he speaks will bring the book to life for you too. It did make me think about my faith at lot more and has made my relationship with God stronger. I do not agree however with the other reviewer that he is a "fundamentalist" Christian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing - not to misunderstand, 15 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God (Paperback)
I found this book easy to read and really enlightening. A lot of what Chan said really made sense to me and I thouroughly enjoyed reading it. However, some would confuse his message as one of salvation by works, this is a ridiculus nessage of course. The thing Chan is trying to point out is that Jesus changes lives and we need to repent in order to be saved. To be a Christian isnt as simple as beleiving in Jesus. Even the demons beleive that, and shudder! When God enters a life it is transformed and all we need to do is allow that, thats the grace. When people have no compassion for the poor and dont really care genuinely about what Jesus cares about its obvious they havent received this gift, theyre just pretending, fooling themselves. Its not salvation by works. Its grace. However a changed heart yeilds fruit. Chan is demanding that Christians should love Christ - not that radical a message really....

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended., 20 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God (Paperback)
I bought the book after watching a sermon by Francis Chang. Although the book is easy to read, I found it very challenging and convicting. He is a christian who takes the Bible seriously and is an inspiration for us who likes to think we are following Christ, but at the same time does not look any different than our unbelieving neighbor. After reading this book, I also bought his book on the Holy Spirit. Two of my friends are also busy with the book and found it life changing as well.
I have read loads of christian books, but this is by far one of the best and I will recommend it to anybody who wants a deeper walk with the Lord.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 20 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God (Paperback)
Pleased to recommend this book. Simply, clear message that is very pass-on-able! A well know author who is definitely worth reading. Excellent service of delivery too!

4.0 out of 5 stars A challenging read!, 17 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God (Paperback)
For any Christian this is a very challenging read. It should challenge you on how you are living your life and how you can further let God change you.

4.0 out of 5 stars chan is always thought provoking, 29 May 2012
Dr. K. E. Patrick (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
i have read forgotten god and thought it was about the best book ever about the holy spirit. this one is good about getting our perspective right and challenging us in our western coccoons and thinking we are actually living radically when we are usually doing nothing of the kind. for example if you think you have a good relationship with god because you set aside a daily quiet time, how does it compare with your daily tv time? do you tithe or do you take what you need and then give the rest away? he spends one chapter by sharing the radical lives of various people - some alive and some long dead - and yet i always think there's space for ministering to rich who are spiritually poor as much as to orphans in uganda. maybe he'd say i'm fooling myself (though i'm not saying that's who i want to minister to). there are some good online videos to watch along with the book. the point is that god is amazing and our relationship with him is in urgent need of revision.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crazy Not to Read It, 2 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God (Paperback)
It's a great book. Very easy to read. Chan writes simply but powerfully, dealing with topics and issues to a depth far greater than his vocabulary suggests. In short, he's a great communicator.

The main theme of the book is are we radical in our faith or just spiritually fat (that is full up and inactive). Barely a page goes by when Chan doesn't challenge the reader listener.

One quote which kind of sums up the book is found early on:

"What are you doing in your life right now that requires faith?"

That question knocks my socks off because honestly I'd have to say nothing. When I look back on the entirety of my life I'm not sure the list of things that required faith would be very long.

Ask yourself the same question. Pray for me that I'd start living a life in response to God's crazy Love.

5.0 out of 5 stars The truth sets us free, 28 Sept. 2010
M. Reddy "Gotteswill" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God (Paperback)
Francis Chan writes a simple, frank and challenging epistle-type commentary on his walk with God. His getting to know this magnificent God, or at least different aspects of Him. There are truths that Francis encounters that will ring in your ears with familiarity and there are truths that will burn through you, yearning to set you free if you will but embrace it. He is deeply in love with Jesus and the impartation of faith he releases as he writes makes this book more than just a book. Be open and be ready to let your heart be examined. You will be richer for it. Reading it affords fellowship as so much of it is relevant to our daily walk, you can walk the walk together through the pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars READ IT!, 9 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God (Paperback)
Great book, well written, easy to read, suitable for those that don't read much, and those that devour books. Francis Chan's tone throughout the book manages to remain light whilst also with authority and with a great use of scripture to back up each point. Challenging in a good way, highly highly recommend reading it, even if you come away from it having taken one useful thing on board, it will be worth it!

Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God by Francis Chan (Paperback - 10 Mar. 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01