Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 February 2011
If you've ever read Francis Chan before (Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God) then you'll know that he's incredibly easy to get on with. His style is more inquisitive than lecturing. By laying out simple principles Chan then places the onus squarely on the reader, "What are you going to do about it?"

If you're expecting a strong doctrinal treatment of the Holy Spirit then you'll probably be disappointed. But if you want a book that will make you think, question, get down on your knees and pray about what your reading then this is it.

Chan's emphasis is to encourage the reader to live a life dependant on God the Holy Spirit, a life seeking to know God more intimately and serve others rather than yourself.

The book also has a strong emphasis on the fruit of the Spirit. Rather than placing a premium on showing the gifts of the Spirit (which should be used for the Churches benefit not our own) a Spirit filled Christian will be demonstrating a supernatural level of the fruit according to Chan.

He leaves us with the ultimate test, how much different would our lives be if we didn't have the Spirit?

I'd recommend The Forgotten God to anyone whose after a light read but also to anyone who wants to be challenged in their view of the Holy Spirit.
on 8 November 2009
What a superb book that describes the subject matter of the title. Being one of a Charismatic persuasion and upbringing, there exists in many "churches" a completely unbalanced stance on the Holy Spirit, either He is given lip-service only as part of the Godhead, or His presence and work in the church and our lives is given an unbiblical emphasis, which almost excludes God the Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.
The proper balance is redressed in this excellent book by Francis Chan which warns the churches of the urgent and necessary adjustment required to fulfill Paul the Apostle's injunction to us in Romans 12:2 "to be transformed by the renewing of your minds"!
Without the guidance of the Holy Spirit in us AND the church, further decimation of the Christian churches will continue. I wish I could award this book more than the five stars that I have. The best book on the Holy Spirit that I have read in a good few years!
on 22 July 2011
Francis Chan, in his own easy to read, honest and personable style, lays out what difference the Holy Spirit should make in our lives, and asks why we are not experiencing that? It is not detailed and comprehensive by any means, but a challenge. And one well worth listening to. 8/10.
on 11 April 2012
I read this book in one sitting and will now go back and read it slowly and prayerfully chapter by chapter .... There are many questions that the author invites us to think about and answer that will shine a light on your personal spiritual life and also your church
on 30 January 2012
In really enjoyed this book. It was very refreshing, reminding me that He is the best thing that has happened to me and the awesome truth that He lives in me! While not a theological description of Chan's views, if focuses on inspiration while still showing evidence of a strong biblical grounding. Also, through his writing style, Chan's humility shows through, so also helped teach me a thing or two about pride and having a humble heart. A friend recommended this book, and I am very glad to have bought it rather than simply borrowing it, so I can lend it to other friends!
on 9 June 2012
An easy read in the sense that it is not particularly academic but not so easy in terms of the challenge to complacency, obedience and understanding. This is not dry theology, it is about the work of the Holy Spirit in the lives of believers. If Christians have, as claimed, the indwelling of Holy Spirit then why do so many seem to be no different from those with no faith? Surely there should be some effect on the lives of professing Christians... Theologically balanced and Biblical approach coupled with real-life stories and examples to drive the message home. Should be widely read in Christian circles.
on 24 October 2014
I have felt since becoming a Christian 6Years ago that some thing was missing in my church. God fearing people who clearly love the Lord and study scripture and teach it so well. I thought I was the odd one out never fitting in because of this conviction in me. But francis chan on this book has given me so many answers that the something missing wad some one and that was the Holy Spirit. Thank you thank you. I can move forward now with God.
on 2 January 2015
Exactly what I needed to read. I am from a conservative church, and for a while have been thinking that we don't pay enough attention to the third person of the Godhead. I didn't know where to start trying to find out more. This book excited, challenged and encouraged me beyond expectation.
on 20 December 2014
This was a very challenging yet encouraging book. It helped me to understand thing about the Holy Spirit that I'd never considered before and left me with a hunger and a desire to walk in step with the Spirit.
on 26 January 2015
Easy to read, hard to put down. Going through this at our home-groups now. The accompanying videos for each chapter are a great bonus. (These can be found on youtube)