5.0 out of 5 stars Incomparable
There is a raging debate over Andrew Wilson's 'Incomparable.' Is it pronounced 'in-com-parable' or 'in-comp-rabble?' That minor quibble aside, Andrew Wilson has taken on a sizeable task: an accessible theology book, "exploring the character of God," as the tagline goes. He does so admirably.

Focusing exclusively on God, it is very helpfully divided into four...
Published on 18 Sept. 2008 by AJ Hilder

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring!
I bought this at full price. There is nothing new here or vaguely interesting. If you are a conservative evangelical and simply want to have your views reinforced buy this- it will suit you. Boring! If you want something thought provoking and interesting go for a different author- Tim Kellor, Rob Bell etc, etc...
Published 21 days ago by Jane E Duckitt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Incomparable, 18 Sept. 2008
AJ Hilder - See all my reviews

Focusing exclusively on God, it is very helpfully divided into four sections: The Being Of God, The Names Of God, God In Three Persons and The Attributes Of God. Each section is comprised of a number of chapters that average five pages in length. As you'd expect, Incomparable is littered with scriptures that Wilson unpacks to teach into and bring insight into the character of God. Despite the chapters being short they are full of truth and very easy to read.

I really enjoyed the books style - it is written in an engaging and accessible way and filled with illustration and example. This means it is a book that can be read as part of devotions or picked up periodically over time. Of course, it could also be read systematically or worked through slowly as a study. Its versatility mean it is actually one of those 'shelf-life' books that can stay on your bookcase for years, that you can come back to again and again. Normally such books are weighty tomes that double up as doorstops , so credit to Wilson for packing so much truth in a volume of such brevity.

Incomparable has something for everyone - whether you are familiar with theological reading or not, revelation will come as you read this book. Personally, I found combining it with my devotional life to be energising and invigorating. I also think it is a book that would be perfect for giving to new converts, or working through with young people. Also, if you are looking for an entry level book into more theological reading, it is an ideal foundation.

An excellent book, very well written and worth buying, reading and giving away!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, 4 Oct. 2008
Incomparable by Andrew Wilson is a Christian book which looks at the character of God. I purchased it because my brother needs it for his theology training and I really enjoyed it.

This is a very readable book which looks at some of the characteristics of God. Every chapter is short, no more than 6 pages long which makes this an accessible book and easy to dip into. However, there is a lot of theology in this book and even though I was able to read this book in a few days I would like to re-read it slowly to see what I probably missed/didn't take in.

Wilson writes in a very accessible way and argues every point clearly and concisely, using evidence from both the Bible and other sources. I have learned an awful lot from this book, and there is probably more I can learn when I re-read it.

This is a really informative, enjoyable and easy-to-read book.

9/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Incomparable....is comparable, 27 Oct. 2009
Its like a condensed, less dry version of the classic Knowing God (J I Packer). Although, the depth may not be quite the same, the pages per chapter is also far reduced making it an excellent daily reading companion. Theologically sound and sublimely encouraging to look upwards rather than inwards. Definitely worth every penny

4.0 out of 5 stars Incomparable, 22 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Incomparable: Explorations in the Character of God (Paperback)
Incomparable by Andrew Wilson is one of my favourite books. For those of you who don't know the format of the book I will explain quickly. Wilson takes aspects of the character of God (all based in scripture) and explores them. Each chapter is only 2 or 3 pages long and each chapter deals with a new aspect.

The truths contained in this book are fantastic. Wilson has a clear insight into scripture and is able to easily communicate this throughout. Despite the short length of chapters the content doesn't feel in the least bit airy. It is no Systematic Theology but neither is it a breeze. The book is ideal for using during devotional times, for using as a leap board for studying and just for focusing in how amazing our God is! I would whole heartedly recommend this book to any Christian.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Will Fuel Your Worship, 15 April 2013
This was the first Christian book I ever read. I was recommended it by my pastor who handed it over to me saying, "This will fuel your worship."
It certainly did.
Reading it gave me a much clearer, broader, awe-inspired view of who God is and what He is like. I wouldn't hesitate to say that it lay the foundation of how I view God that still shapes how I see Him today.
Andrew Wilson explores God's character, names, Trinity and attributes in short, easy to read, and enjoyable chapters. Each chapter can be easily read in a matter of minutes, which makes it great for morning or evening reflections. Yet each one is packed with enough to make you ponder for much longer and leave you lost in awe: theologically rich and worshipful. Alternatively, you could read a collection of chapters together as I did with the first four to get a bigger picture. I really enjoyed the wealth of scientific facts in chapters such as The Wisdom of Yahweh that put God's wisdom, majesty and power into perspective. One of my favourite chapters was Yahweh is Majestic where he tells you not to read it unless you're sitting under a clear night sky and explains what you can see in space as you gaze upward, declaring the majesty of God. As I read that chapter one night, it was one of the most precious moments of worship I've had.
But more than just a devotional book, it also cleared up my view of God theologically by clearly explaining things such as what God is, the difference between grace and mercy, how He justifies us, etc. As well as fuelling my worship, it deepened my understanding. As my non-Christian friends began to ask tougher questions, I also found this book very helpful in providing sufficient and easy to understand answers.
As a younger Christian, it greatly benefitted me, but I would recommend this book to anyone: from a new Christian who wants to understand God more, to a Christian who wants to rekindle to passion in their worship, to a non-Christian who wants to find answers, to a long-time Christian who wants to rediscover fundamental truths about the God we worship.

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% recomended, 11 Oct. 2014
Another excellent book by Andrew Wilson: Easy to read and aimed at the heart as well as the head.
For those looking for a a thorough academically theological tome, this is not it. Having said that, I absolutely recommend it for everyone as it provides a profound understanding of the character of God in a way that encourages you to know him, rather than to know about him. Be warned though, knowing God better can cause an earthquake in your comfortable life, bringing down the harmful and unnecessary. But it will also provide you with the means to rebuild it as the most wonderful palace, fit for the King!

Buy it, read it, put it into practice and enjoy the results.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and spiritually nourishing, 31 Dec. 2013
This book is excellent to place into the hands of busy men. The chapters are short, to the point, stirring and inspiring making this book excellent as an aid to personal devotions for the man on the go.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Will Fuel Your Worship, 15 April 2013
It certainly did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible theology, 21 Jan. 2010
Why assume that you cannot understand theology, when someone writes a book like this that makes understanding more of God somewhat accessible? Andrew Wilson does so in a way that tears down our stereotypes and the ignorance of childhood, and leaves you with the feeling that God is - happily - actually in touch with, and very relevant to, our modern world.

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure of a book, 2 Dec. 2007
Andrew Wilson writes in a clear, concise, knowlegeable and enthusiastic way about God. He explores 60 names and descriptions of the one true God, weaving profound biblical insight into each short chapter, and so unfolding the greatest subject our minds and hearts can ever contemplate.

The book has 60, short chapters, covering different aspects of God's character. Each chapter has a profound insight and is made easier to understand with the everyday allegories he uses.

The book touches your spirit. It is easy to read and thought provoking. It is a great book that helps us to get a bigger picture of God. It will make you want to know God, our creator, even more.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Incomparable: Explorations in the Character of God
Incomparable: Explorations in the Character of God by Andrew Wilson (Paperback - 1 Sept. 2008)
Used & New from: £4.95