5.0 out of 5 stars magic!
Published on 14 Jan 2009 by milkwood

3.0 out of 5 stars Good ideas but some ideas hard work
This book was good in principal - In retrospect I should have read it to myself first but I was eager to get started so read it with him - only to discover (as I read out loud) that I should be putting him up to bed at the time he is currently falling asleep and starting bed time routine then and gradually bringing the time forwards once he settles quicker - He obviously...
Published 19 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars magic!, 14 Jan 2009
This review is from: What to Do When You Dread Your Bed: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Problems with Sleep (What to Do Guides for Kids) (Paperback)
I've had bedtime troubles with my 6 yo daughter from the day she was born! we bought this book just before Xmas and are putting it to use in earnest at the moment. I must say it really seems to work. It requires committment and emotional investment from both parents and child but if you are prepared to go through each chapter with your child (maybe one a week), learn a simple magic trick and then put in about one hour every bedtime you could reap great rewards. We used to have no idea when bedtime would be over before, whereas now I can be pretty sure that one hour after I go upstairs with her I will be coming down again with a calm child on her way to the land of nod. None of what the book suggests is rocket science, but it involves the child in the process in a way that really seems to make a difference, for us at least. Highly recommended if you are stuck night after night with a child who just can't wind down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good in theory, 8 Jan 2010
I bought this out of desperation as my daughter who is nearly nine hasn't slept in her own bed for over two years as she wakes every night and struggles to fall asleep until nearly midnight with lots of tantrums and screaming and crying most nights.

In theory it should have worked but my daughter has a mental block now regarding sleep and nothing will get through to her. It's a lovely book though and at least it helped us talk things through but not a magic cure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A kids guide to overcoming problems with sleep, 12 Jan 2010
This is an excellent book. I have found it worked really well with my 8 year old daughter who has always had difficulty getting to sleep. She was really interested throughout the whole book particularily in the magic tricks she learned. The reward system works really well and she now stays in bed in order to earn as many rewards as possible.What to Do When You Dread Your Bed: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Problems with Sleep (What to Do Guides for Kids)

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you and Mum and Dad who also dreads bedtime? Read this book, 24 Sep 2013
We tried this book with out son, who was 7 years old at the time, and we quickly saw improvements, but that didn't mean the issue was sorted as that took a bit longer. Overall it took us/our son 8-12 months of sticking with these techniques to get really great results. Along the way if we had a hiccup, we would go back a step and repeat it, but we didn't give up because we could see it was working even if it seemed a slow process. During that period we also saw a psychologist about our son's bedtime problems he highly endorsed the book.

This all occurred 6 years ago and the reason I give the review now is I think with this type of stuff it takes time, so perhaps that is why there are only10 reviews on the site and it's not because it isn't a good book! When you use a book like this, it can be a few months before you know if it is being effective. I am also giving an update 5 years on as this book helped our son dramatically. And it didn't only help his sleep, but it also dealt with the phobias and fears. Crucially it also helped his confidence because he was distressed and miserable when he had so many fears. Yes it took a year, and it felt like a long year particularly when dealing with doubts about whether it will work, but I can now say with confidence it did work and we have had 5 great years. Occasionally he has blips, but our response and his response are different and so the blip remains just that, and it does not escalate. So we have all learned so much and it is dramatic when compared to where we were 5 years ago.

As mentioned we did this book in conjunction with the author's other book about overcoming anxiety. The author is psychologist and she is a specialist in these issues and works with children, so these materials are child centred. I wholeheartedly recommend Dawn Huebner's books to parents and children.

4.0 out of 5 stars but wanted to spread the good news about this book, 31 Oct 2014
I don't write many reviews (too busy), but wanted to spread the good news about this book, and the difference it's made to our family life. My daughter is 12, and has always been 'scared of the dark'. We had to leave lights on, have open bedroom doors, a light on in the hall, barricade the wardrobe, and she'd frequently wake me up in the middle of the night, scared. However, within a few days of following the bedtime routine, things got much better. She fervently believed in the book, and had faith that it would help her. Now she goes to bed earlier and sleeps through, with much less disruption. Dealing with the fear element has been a bit more problematic, I think because the book is aimed at younger children. We find the idea of 'monster time' a bit tricky, it's one thing jumping around with a mask on with your 7-year-old, but quite another trying it with a young lady who's at secondary school and doesn't play anymore. I'd like more guidance on how to deal with fear in pre-teens, but I haven't been able to find anything, so this book will have to do. And it is very useful, I've just had to be a bit creative in 'upscaling' it for older children. I so wish I'd discovered this book 5 years ago, I think we would have solved our sleep problems way back then completely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, practical, 3 July 2014
Great, practical, but involves quite a lot of wee projects so if you do the book properly, it would take a good couple or few weeks to complete. My 8year old son finds getting to sleep and getting back to sleep in the night hard. But this book - while it hasn't 'cured' him - has definitely helped and so I'd recommend it. It has a number of ideas so I think there'd be something for everyone in here.

5.0 out of 5 stars best book ever!!, 15 Dec 2011
I was sceptical about this book working but I was at my wits end so anything was worth a try. I am sceptical no more, this book is fab, my son got to sleep the very first night after reading it. He had previously been lying awake for approx 4 hours. We are all now getting a full nights sleep. Thank you!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dread Your Bed book, 13 April 2012
This is the first time that anything has helped with my daughter's sleep problems, so I'm very grateful to the author and highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars informative and useful for children with sleep problems, 22 Mar 2013
very useful, I lent it to a client and she was tthrilled as itt helped her to understand her behaviour

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked for my son, 19 Jan 2013
S. A. Santos "sarah" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This book worked brilliantly for my son who had never slept in his own bed. When he was 7 and a half, he was invited to a sleepover, so was keen to really crack his sleeping problem.
It did take time and commitment from both of us (I slept on the floor next to his bed for a week!) but he is now really confident in going to sleep alone. I was really not very hopeful initially, as I was sure that nearly 8 years of sleeping with me would need longer than a few weeks to get him to sleep on his own, but he did it, although he says he would still rather sleep with me, and has kept it up for nearly 5 months now.