5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book
I bought this book for my 7yr old who seemed to be going through a period of losing his temper easily. It was a great in assisting him to understand his temper and how to deal with it. Practical and at a level that is easy to understand and digest.
Published on 30 Jan 2011 by Dizzywhizzy

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Thank you!
Published 4 months ago by Eleanor Kindle

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 30 Jan 2011
This review is from: What to Do When Your Temper Flares: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Problems with Anger (What-To-Do Guides for Kids) (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Giving Kids Perspective (even ASDs), 4 Dec 2012
I've just bought this for my 7yr old who has pretty extreme outbursts of anger. He has ASD (autism) and ADHD so he cannot help but react instantly to situations without thinking, but my hope is to help him gradually learn better reactions for the times when his brain does actually engage before furniture goes flying! I was reluctant about introducing this book to my child because it's not tailored specifically for children with special needs, and he's only 7, however I feel this book is so child-friendly and clearly laid out that even young and/or high functioning ASDs like my son will find it accessible. The medium sized print means he can read it himself, though it is designed to be read and worked through with an adult, and the cute illustrations throughout help to keep him engaged and interested too. My son is very aware of how much trouble his temper is causing him and wants things to change. He is open to working through this book and I do think that's really important. I don't know how effective this would be for children who are more close-minded and unwilling to change, as it requires the child to not just listen or read but actively participate with some written exercises throughout the book to reinforce what's being learned. With that in mind, I'm not sure it would help moody teenagers who are set in their ways, and would recommend it as being most suitable for 7-12 year olds.

The book starts out with a clear metaphoric explanation of what anger is, using driving a car, which I think will appeal to a lot of kids. My child struggles to understand a lot of metaphors but I think he will understand this, especially using the little visual exercises the book encourages us readers to employ while we read. The metaphoric explanations also help children to distance themselves a little and see that their anger / temper is just one part of the whole (positive) person they are. This approach is used throughout and I think it's a great way to help children deal with the problem without lowering their probably already fragile self-esteem (angry kids tend to get themselves into a lot of trouble after all!). This book reassures kids that it's perfectly normal and healthy to feel angry; it's what they choose to do with that anger that is causing the problems.

The written exercises throughout the book are simple and can be tailored to the individual child's needs and abilities across the primary school levels. Most of the exercises involve children filling in what their thoughts are in various anger-trigger every day situations, and filling in the emotional features on what they are probably feeling when they have those thoughts. A parent can fill these in alongside a reluctant or less able writer acting as a scribe, while more able children can do it themselves and include more detail. I think the smattering of written exercises are included to help ensure that children feel involved and are relating to, and understanding, the situations and triggers the book explores. There are lots of little light-hearted bits in here that will help the children to deal with things without getting bogged down with negativity too, and I really like that. For example on one page there is a check list asking kids if anger has ever helped them in such and such situations, and one or two of them are a bit far-fetched. I can see my son giggling at these as he ticks them off, while still getting the clear point that angry reactions don't achieve things in life. This particular check list is followed up with a more serious list that helps children to understand there are also situations where there angry reactions actually make things worse.

All in all a four star book. The only gripe I have is that there are some American words included, and for the price tag, I think they could have produced a UK version! Instead of explaining American words, which I think will detract my son from the task at hand, I have gone over them with tippex and written over them in UK English (recess, grades etc). It only took me about five minutes to do. Other than that, I think the book tackles the issue in an extremely clear and child-friendly way, without impacting on the child's self esteem. Some of the techniques in the book are ones I know that challenging behaviour advisers recommend, and the text makes good sense to me throughout as well. I'm confident that the research that went into producing this was of a high standard and that this will have some positive impact on my child's anger issues in the long run.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a brilliant book, 6 Dec 2012
My 11 yr old and I read this together each evening and we loved it. It was full of easy to understand examples of when you may feel angry or upset and also great tips on how to deal with it. My son thought it was great and found it helped him as he could relate to all the the examples and talked through the times that he feels angry.
I would thoroughly recommend this book for children of this age and slightly younger. Even though other reviewers have suggested it's good for age 6+, I really don't feel they would get the maximum out of it. It needs to be read with an adult to help the child to understand how to take a deep breath and work out for themselves what really matters and if it's worth getting upset about. One of the best books I've read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 4 Nov 2010
Mrs. J. L. Smith "Smudge" (Germany) - See all my reviews
I was recommend this book by a friend and am really pleased with it. My husband is in the Army and frequently goes away and my 7 year old son find this difficult to deal with. He was always getting angry and lashing out. When this book arrived we sat down together and read through the first 2 chapters together and worked through the exercises. They were easy to discuss with him and he enjoyed working through the book, often asking to work through the next chapter. It gave us helpful tips on how to control his anger and how to change his thinking to stop him getting angry. would really recommend this book to children who find it hard to express themselves, it is also helpful to the parent aswell.

5.0 out of 5 stars good practical help for mini hotheads, 29 Jun 2010
Becky P (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a self-help book for any child who keeps losing their temper. There is great guidance on ways to deal with situations, how to look at things differently and find solutions and - excellent - how to move on! There are brilliant bits where your child draws and writes their own ideas into the book . My 8-year-old loved this aspect. Some of it is a bit information overload, but I think you have to pick and choose from the coping strategies offered and help your child to focus on what works for them. We read the book together and I learned a lot! I am changing my ways too and trying to remember to 'drop the prickly ball'...! I would definitely recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars What to Do When Your Temper Flares, 8 April 2013
The book does cover the aspects of anger management required, however, as the style is very American, there are aspects of the activities that are not useful. However, it is a very positive book and is written in a very light-hearted way without trivialising the subject matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars bought for my 11 yr old grandson, 22 Jan 2012
The early indications are that this book is proving very helpful in assisting children to understand the futility of anger and helps them adopt alternative attitudes to achieving what they want. The car parallels struck a chord with my grandson and so far I think that this is a very useful book as a starter for children of this age to develop social learning skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daughter asked me to get this., 12 Dec 2012
This was bought to help my grandson overcome his trials and tribulations at school, along with 3 other books which we hope will help him out. I know he is trying to read the books as I saw them on his bed yesterday, and we talked about the bullies and fairweather friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 26 Jun 2013
I bought this book to work through with my 8 year old son after searching for books on children's anger and reading other reviews. The book has lots of opportunities for children's input to keep them interested. It is very practical, which is what I wanted. The book has given my son and I a framework to discuss his anger (and other people's too!). This in itself was a big thing. My son's behaviour has changed immensely recently and I am sure that spending time with him talking about it with this book has been a big part. When anger takes hold we both know key words etc from the book that have helped make any flare ups much smaller as well. When he packed his bag and left home for 5 minutes I know it was his way of escaping the giant vaccum cleaner! (We know what I mean!) I have encouraged others in the family to have a read so we can be consistent and all benefit from the book's approach and ideas. Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for explaining anger and how to cope, 27 May 2014
Seems to have had an impact. We have only got about a third of the way through but my son who is 5 can control his anger better. Would be good for up to about 10 years old.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›