5.0 out of 5 stars Outstandingly Good
This is a beautifully bound and published Bible.
It's ideal for both public reading and for private study.
It's bulkier than some other study Bibles, but I wouldn't swap it for anything else, such is the quality of it's notes.
An outstanding Bible - for scholars and casual readers alike.
Published on 27 Mar 2010 by Gordon J. Stewart

3.0 out of 5 stars What does it mean by 'Study'?
This is on my Kindle and my Tablet. Next to the NASB, I like this version very much.

But the 'study' part of it is disappointing. It gives cross references, but following them takes you away from the body text and it's difficult to find your way back.

Also, there are no historical or explanatory notes, as there are in my hard copy NASB. A little...
Published 9 months ago by Mrs. L. M. Morse

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstandingly Good, 27 Mar 2010
This is a beautifully bound and published Bible.
It's ideal for both public reading and for private study.
An outstanding Bible - for scholars and casual readers alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 9 Nov 2010
J. Taylor - See all my reviews
I have just treated myself to this edition to mark my admission and licensing as a Reader in the Church of England. I have studied Theology for four years to reach this stage and the ESV is not actually the version recommended by the English universities. However (and that's a big HOWEVER) I wish I had chosen this version, and this particular edition, at the start of my studies. The notes are extremely helpful and develop a deeper understanding of the individual texts. Also each of the scriptural books has a concise but comprehensive introduction, complete with charts and diagrams to reinforce the learning. I personally also like the layout and the differentiation between text and notes; I like the quality of the paper and also the soft leather binding. I just know this Bible will be a comfortable and supporting friend over the years of ministry to come.

Over the years I have acquired a shelf-full of Bibles but none 'tick quite so many boxes'. The drawbacks are - the size and weight but then all the study Bibles are by necessity heavy and bulky - and to an Englishman the American spellings can irritate.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent help to study, 8 Jun 2009
Michael Dickens "Mike" (Narthampton, England) - See all my reviews
The print is clear and easily readable. The comment are useful and concise. Notes are well written. The only draback is American spellings in the text. An UK-English version wouldbe welcomed. It would be also useful to have details of print size and style in the description of Bibles and works of reference in the dscription of the product. If possible a full size example of type fece of the text would be useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars masterpiece, 24 Nov 2008
The best study bible I have ever owned - the ESV text being essentially literal is accurate not simplistic yet accessible for the average reader. The notes, maps and articles far surpass those I have read in any other study Bible for their depth and quality. If you want a bible that draws you in to further deeper study this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars ESV Study Bible, 17 Oct 2009
Nyall Davies (Diss UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ESV Study Bible (Hardcover)
The ESV is an excellent translation. I have never been fond of the NIV as it appears to deliberately turn sentences around to get away from previous translations that follow the order of the Greek text. The NIV is also a phrase for phrase translation and, as a result removes ambiguities or alternative renderings of many verses. These alterantives often have value. The ESV is a word for word translation and is thus more transparent, letting me see the original more clearly. I have been a user of the RSV for forty years and thought I would be continuing to use it. I have easily switched to the ESV. Authorised/KJ and NKJ users could easily do the same.
Those that have been brought up on the NIV will find it more difficult and may even think that the ESV doesn't read right.
The study notes are brilliant but make the book bulky and heavy. A small truck should easily cope with the weight. Going back to the study notes, I will give you an example. I have long since thought that the passage in Isaiah six, often headed 'the commissioning of Isaiah' is actually Isaiah's eaves dropping on a conversation within the Trinity and should be headed, "The comissioning of Jesus." I have never heard anybody preach this and am often looked on askance when I susggest it. It's there in the ESV study notes. These notes also have the advantage of being a relief from boredom during many sermons. They are thorough and have many maps and diagrams. Especially in the New Testament they occupy more space that the text itself. Many advantages if you can carry it around.
Nyall Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars ESV Study Bible Review, 10 Nov 2009
S. Gunn (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Excellent study bible. First impressions are that it is very detailed in its commentary. The inclusion of maps and other supporting historical information help set the Biblical scene and give the reader an understanding of the context in which the Biblical story has been played out.

5.0 out of 5 stars ESV study bible via Kindle, 4 Jan 2011
This review is from: ESV Study Bible (Kindle Edition)
I hope that the following review will help prospective purchasers. I give the Kindle to PC five stars as it provides a clear format on screen, with choice of page colour (black, white, tinted)and also a great flexibility of viewing options. The Kindle only version is more restricted and although good is only four stars by comparison. It may be just usage but I find that with the Kindle version I only read as though it were a book without notes, while with the Kindle to PC version I refer to the notes with much greater ease, not just the cross references but also the study notes. Having previously purchased a hard copy ESV bible eligible for the free ESV study download I would strongly recommend this above both the above Kindle versions. That download is available outside the USA and, although it is a very large download to PC, it is a wonderful tool. (One needs to consult the ESV website to find which books contain this offer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks set to be THE study bible to have, 28 Nov 2008
Mr. R. C. Mallett (Bedfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
I already have a couple of ESV Study Bibles (Scofield and Reformation) as I really like the translation of the ESV, but this is better.

Unusually, it prints the text (in 9pt type) in a single column (like ordinary books) with the cross references in the left margin, and study notes below in two columns in smaller type.

Also unusual (and very welcome) is that it has colour maps (where relevant) on the same page as the text, as well as a map section on thicker paper at the back.

The other bonus is that you get a code number that gives you access to the online text, notes, maps and diagrams; plus you can personalise your notes online (though I haven't tried that yet).

People say it's too big at 2750 pages; but it is more manageable than (for example) the New Interpreters Study Bible (NRSV) which has fewer pages, but in a wider format.

I can see this being THE study bible that others will have to try to emulate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could Be Exactly The Instrument We Need Right Now..., 9 July 2009
M. Maxwell-carr (UK) - See all my reviews
If we are honest in the sight of our God, we need to know our Old Testaments better. Some of us just simply need to know the whole Bible better. Well, here you have some great help - the ESV Study Bible is thoroughly dedicated to helping readers get to grips with the entire word of God. OT books come alive in all their relevance!

It contains extensive introductions, which set the scene for the reading of each particular biblical book. Everything you could imagine a biblical introduction should contain, it is found here: how this book of the Bible fits into the theme of Salvation; how the literary structure of this book works and why; who wrote it; when; where - almost everything! These are the best introductions to the books of the Bible I've ever found. Very accurate, very helpful indeed. Plus, at the end of each introduction there is always a full outline of the structure of the book. For me personally, I have found the introductions of this Study Bible to be the most helpful part of the entire book. I don't read from this study Bible daily; I use another Bible. But in going through the OT the last couple of times, I have read the introductions of each biblical book from this Bible. Do you know what this has done for me? It has clearly shown me why each book is in the Bible! For this alone, I would recommend this Study Bible. Reading these introductions is the quickest way to get a broad overview and proper picture of each of the OT books, and to see their relevance for us.

It puts the text, not in two columns on one page, but in one single column - as it should be!

It contains good cross-references (though some may find the letters within the text unhelpful).

The biblical text is a lovely and very comfortable size. Others seem to think so also. The notes are far smaller, showing us that those who published this work do not consider their notes and additions to be more important than the biblical text, though they are very able scholars.

In the study section for the notes, it brilliantly breaks the text up into its sections. The structures of the biblical books can be clearly seen. The notes have been written by lovers of God and experts in the book they have been assigned to comment upon. It is like a running commentary. The notes include anything from key Greek and Hebrew words within the text, to difficult words, to application - it's very well done. It is also very readable and interesting and certainly not too complex at all. It has clearly been checked time and time again to make sure it is as accurate and faithful to God as possible. It is essential not just for new, but also for experienced believers.

It contains maps on the page of the scene. For example: let us imagine that you are reading some of the battles King David had; on the pages of his battles, the ESV Study Bible contains the maps! You need not go to the back of the Bible. Yet, also at the back of the Bible are a collection of superb maps. It may bother you that the names of places on the maps at the back are not listed anywhere in the study bible. That is, if you want to find where Padan-Aram is, you can't go to a page in the study Bible and find a map reference and then look at the maps at the back. This is perhaps a negative.

For difficult issues, such as the Millennium, the ESV gives all views and puts forth which views use which scriptures to back-up their claim, explaining them well. It is a very interesting approach, although I think the Study Bible itself has ultimately decided to thrust forth those great Reformed doctrines concerning salvation (which is great!) and they tend towards a more Amillennial stance. But please do not let this put those of you who disagree off. Like I said, it is very fair to all millennial views, presenting them accurately and faithfully. The study Bible takes a firm position on fundamental doctrines, like the Deity of Jesus and the full effective power of his work on the cross, and how only faith justifies us. But for secondary issues, it tends to present the views fairly. As far as I can tell, very little is said concerning Calvinism and Arminianism in this study Bible - probably a good thing, since this issue often causes division. This study bible wants to be helpful to both calvinists and arminians and certainly the scholars involved in this bible were of both persuasions.

At the back, it contains a collection of the times the Old Testament is used by the New. Thus, the reader is led to the conviction that without the Old Testament (and all of it) there would be no New Testament at all. Yes, this is true, even with Leviticus! Also, the creators of this work have included at the back a "History of Salvation Summary", which goes through key Old Testament texts and shows how they point us to Christ and his Work!

If you are unaware concerning the translation itself, the English Standard Version is very good. It is accurate, although, it is not perfect. But having this Study Bible has the advantage of the comments, which explain some Hebrew or Greek words and let you know about controversial passages, e.g. Mark 16.9-20. You sort of feel that you are in safe hands.

One final point is certainly worth you reading this review. The ESV Study Bible contains cracking articles at the back, after Revelation. These articles are very well written, by some extremely well-respected theologians. So, you can read these and understand some more in-depth, yet foundational and very interesting units of Theology. I am at Bible college, but after buying this I remember thinking: "I could have saved myself a lot of money!" Seriously, the entire volume, if you gradually work through it over years, is worth ten times the price it is being generously sold for. You will find a very solid foundation here - far better than most other study bibles on the market.

With the publication of this great title, which explains the wonderful doctrines of our faith and helps a believer to accurately understand those difficult verses, passages and entire books, I believe God might just raise up some youngsters who will "go into all the world and make disciples". We are in such desperate need of this and I pray that your eyes might be opened as you read this fabulous Study Bible, for I believe that God has had His hand upon this publication. May you be blessed.

10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best., 9 July 2009
I have titled this review one of the best, and I mean it.
This study bible is is exquisite. The notes are helpfull in understanding and giving a basic start on many difficult passages. The detailed background information given behind each book of the bible help you give insite into views, situations and really puts alot of what is said in context. The maps enhance the reality of where biblical cities where incomparison with modern day cities. The articles are fantastic and really tackle difficult issues that orthodox bible believing christians want and must fight for so that the doctrine is not distorted (see 2Peter 3:15-16). As well as all this the cross-referencing and concordence that has been improved since the original ESV bibles is brilliant as ever making it even easier to find passages and look up others to back up points or give even more insite in to questions.
With all this plus access to an online version with even more bonus features, it makes me think about changing the title to 'the best'.
I really think that all other study bibles have a new goal to aim towards.

ESV Study Bible, Personal Size (PB) (Esv Bibles)
ESV Study Bible, Personal Size (PB) (Esv Bibles) by Crossway Bibles (Paperback - 17 Feb 2012)
Used & New from: 113.60