5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable for a quid!!!
Not the greatest of quality, obviously a cheap production but lets be fair, the fastest growing bible translation (and very literal translation) for a squid is barmy. As an active partaker in evangelism I cannot believe I stumbled upon this fantastic resource. For the price of the superb ESV Study Bible you get 40 ESV economy bibles which is extra ordinary.
Praise...
Published on 10 May 2012 by C. James

1.0 out of 5 stars Leviticus & Numbers missing
How can you go wrong for a pound?
Impossible you would have thought.
Published on 19 Mar. 2012 by Tim

1.0 out of 5 stars Leviticus & Numbers missing, 19 Mar. 2012
This review is from: ESV The Holy Bible (Paperback)
How can you go wrong for a pound?
Impossible you would have thought.
Were it not for a missing section in this version (halfway through Exodus 21 - end of Numbers!) I would have given this a 5 star rating. For such a cheap price all other things (cheap paper, stiff spine, very small type face etc.) can be overlooked! Indeed you might expect them. It is a Bible for £1. Wow.

BUT I had not expected Crossway to have edited out the end of Exodus, all of Leviticus and most of Numbers!

I ordered 2 and they were both the same. I don't know if this is a widespread mistake with this edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable for a quid!!!, 10 May 2012
C. James - See all my reviews
This review is from: ESV The Holy Bible (Paperback)
Praise God for keeping the hearts at Crossway publishing humble, and for not allowing money to cloud their better judgement.

Got a friend who's interested in Christianity? Then get one of these for them. Actually get twelve of these and then challenge yourself to distribute them to interested souls over the next twelve months. We will start a group on facebook, the 'Economy Bible Challenge'

God bless ye merry Gentlemen, and Ladies.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Bible without Romans - or Leviticus, 10 July 2012
T. Renz (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ESV The Holy Bible (Paperback)
The cheap binding is to be expected at this price but the publisher overlooked that some pages are printed twice and others are entirely missing, leaving out whole Biblical books. I bought ten copies, all of which are faulty. Half miss pages 585-632 (roughly John 12.30-Galatians 5.4), the other half miss pages 41-88 (roughly Exodus 21.22-Numbers 29.3).

5.0 out of 5 stars ESV Economy Bible, 29 Nov. 2011
S. Kim "soli Deo gloria" (South Wales, Europe.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ESV The Holy Bible (Paperback)
Amazing value - now anybody can own a decent English translation of the Holy Bible for only £1!!!

Paper quality is satisfactory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome translation at budget price, 9 July 2011
This review is from: ESV The Holy Bible (Paperback)
ESV translation is awesome. The budget paperback edition for £[] comes with nicely designed cover, kind of glossy feel paperback print of main text of God's Word. Excellent for evangelism and can make a great pew Bible as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value - Great Bible !, 22 Dec. 2011
This review is from: ESV The Holy Bible (Paperback)
I bought this bible so that I could have a comparison copy for study - I normally use a NKJV being Scottish and all. For £1 you could not ask for more. This is a great translation and truly excellent value for money.

Although paperback, covering the edges, spine and covers with sellotape will turn this into a flexible, spalsh-proof bible that should last years. Excellent for missions, start up churches low on money etc.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Low cost decent bible!, 7 Nov. 2012
This review is from: ESV The Holy Bible (Paperback)
I always keep plenty of cheap bibles because I'm always talking about something in the Bible and it means I can share the good book with others but I always have to buy the small new testament versions so that I'm not out of pocket, so I was delighted to find this £1 bible with free delivery and promptly ordered a few. When they arrived I was delighted with the simplicity of the product and how lovely it seemed for the price. I certainly shall be keeping a few of these in stock.

This is an excellent product for someone who is always giving away books - and what better book can you give away than the good book itself?!

3.0 out of 5 stars You can see why it's only a pound..., 5 May 2012
Steve W (Kent, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ESV The Holy Bible (Paperback)
Well, this really is a case of "you get what you pay for". But to be honest, you might be better off paying around a fiver for a better quality Bible.

One issue with it was that the print is quite small. This is not unique to cheaper Bibles, of course, but I imagine it is small so the publisher can pack in more text in less pages, to save on costs.

But the main problem for me was that, being a budget Bible, it is not stitch-bound at the spine but just glued. Not sure how long it would be before pages started falling out; but the issue was that as you open the book up you have to really "push" it open and hold it, to read the text printed near the spine. Especially once you get to the New Testament, which of course is nearly at the end of the book.

On the plus side, the ESV translation seems relatively modern and easy to read. No problems there.

But unless you are really strapped for cash, I would say get a Bible for at least a fiver; or look to the second-hand market for a good quality used Bible.

I bought it from Amazon as I was intrigued as to what a one pound Bible would be like. Well, I got my answer!

In the end, I wrote "£1" on the top of the first page, and gave it to a local charity shop.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap due to printing faults, 17 Feb. 2015
This review is from: ESV The Holy Bible (Paperback)
This edition of 'the good book' is cheap for a reason, it has a number of inconsistencies in the way that it is printed. If fine detail is important to you (and it probably is), then you may be disappointed by the fact that half of the referencing sections are missing i.e. the small numbers dotted throughout each page which are supposed to relate to descriptions at the base of the page providing further explanation of certain terms. Well you will only get about 5 of those references and the rest seem to have been chopped off of the page! This is my first attempt at reading the Bible and I can't help but feel that without the references I may be missing something important. Further to this I am currently only up to Leviticus and have already spotted several grammatical inconsistencies. Maybe this batch of Bibles was printed in error by Crossways and they are trying to make up for money lost by selling them off cheap, who knows? I do feel that the defects should be stated in the product details however, because if I had known about them I would have probably bought myself a different edition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed, 26 Feb. 2013
This review is from: ESV The Holy Bible (Paperback)
If I'd known the price was going to double, I'd have ordered a lot more. As it is, I'm passing them on at cost to children who want Bibles, and they're perfect at the price. Nothing missing from my copies: no bells and whistles, but they're only a pound.

Now they're £2, they become slightly less useful as pocket-money books that I can afford to give away occasionally when a child doesn't have a pound: this might seem miserly, but I'm meeting with a lot of children and I can't afford to replenish my stock of Bibles if I don't recover most of the cost. £2 is very different from £1, in this situation. I might trade up to the next ESV up, which is currently also £2 on Amazon, because I like the introduction better and they're now the same price.

So, I suppose I'm moaning a bit because the £1 offer ended, but it was wonderful while it lasted; I just didn't realise it was a special offer. Nothing wrong with the Bibles, apart from generally cheap paper etc, and the kids liked that they looked like "real" books :)

ESV The Holy Bible
ESV The Holy Bible by Crossway (Paperback - 31 Dec. 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01