5.0 out of 5 stars the best bible for children!
Published on 2 Aug 2006 by Anna Rees

2.0 out of 5 stars Misses the point
Published 22 months ago by JP

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars the best bible for children!, 2 Aug 2006
Having spent many hours reading Christian books to children, this is the best book yet! The illustrations are beautiful, but most importantly this book shows children how God's plan in the Bible fits together. It shows how the whole Bible is pointing to Jesus. My 4 year old daughter wants me to read on and on, and really seems to be grasping the message. A great present , and also a great resource both in the home, and at Sunday school.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just cute stories!, 8 Aug 2007
Dr. Matthew Fletcher (UK) - See all my reviews
This is the best book of children's Bible stories I have found so far. Rather than the usual trite tales with a slight moral bent, this clearly communicates God's plan for the salvation of mankind in a way children (and adults) can understand. What is particularly refreshing is that it doesn't gloss over unpleasant facts like man's rejection of God and God's subsequent anger which are vital to graps if anyone is to understand why they need Jesus. Despite that, the big picture of the Bible is set out in a loving, humble way with gentle challanges to make kids think rather than preaching. If anyone finds this book unpalitable, it is because the gospel is at work in them, not because the book is insensitive or cringe-making. On top of all this the book is very nicely illustrated and makes great bedtime reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear Gospel Presentation, 1 Mar 2008
Jason von Meding (Newcastle, Australia) - See all my reviews
This book is a wonderful resource for explaining God's plan for Salvation through His 'forever King' Jesus Christ. This has been thought provoking reading for our young son, prompting him to ask many questions and even be a witness for Jesus at age 2! He loves to hear the stories and look at the fantastic art work in this book. We have even noticed unsaved friends pick it up and read for themselves the simplicity of the Gospel and learn of the Love of God for them! Every family should have one, I have bought 3 already as gifts! Highly recommended if you can only buy one book for your child get this one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for Children, Brillant for Everyone!, 4 April 2009
As Christians, my wife and I wanted to give our baby boy the best that we had, and that is the gospel, and this book helps us do that. This book helps small and big children understand the big picture of the bible and God's salvation plan.

Every night before our boy goes to bed we read this book with him and rejoice in God's Big Promises together. This is the book for you if you want to give your child a wonderful understanding of the whole bible, and how it fits together. In other words, it clearly links the message of the Old Testament and the New Testament and shows us that the God of Creation is the same as the God of redemption! The illustrations are beautiful, and the text is clear, concise and challenging. Each chapter is self contained, but refers back to the general theme of God's forever king, and links back to earlier chapters where appropriate. Whilst aimed at children, this book is a joy for adults to read too. As we read it to our boy, the book speaks of God's love, judgment, rescue and certain future return. We too have bought multiple copies for friends and family, both believing and non-believing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just bible stories!, 16 July 2008
This isn't just an anthology of disconnected bible stories. It is an introduction to biblical theology, Christology, and soteriology. It is about the "Big Picture" of salvation history. After finishing this bible for the first time my five year old son exclaimed, "The whole bible is about Jesus isn't it Daddy!" What more needs to be said? This book is quite literally the best children's bible that it is possible to buy. Even the illustrations are theologically sound! I can't recommend it more highly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Misses the point, 25 Feb 2013
JP (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Big Picture Story Bible with CD (Hardcover)
We chose this Bible because of the audio CD and to start with were very pleased - it is simply told, not too long, and covers lots of Bible stories while trying to explain some of the big themes that run through the Bible, much in the style of a Graeme Goldsworthy inspired Bible overview..... However, it uses a lot of 'concept' words which were a little over my son's head, and after a closer look I felt it was out of balance.

We learn that God is good, keeps his promises and wants to bless, and also about obedience, sin, punishment, judgement and anger - but God's love is only mentioned in passing, and the words compassion, grace and mercy are not there at all.

It might be good as an 'extra' resource, to show how some stories link together, but I would not recommend this as a child's main Bible, as the Bible's repeated description of God's character, 'gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love' is almost missed out altogether.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most brilliant children's Bible, 1 Nov 2008
D. A. Longstaff "DL" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
I have to say I agree completely with all the other 5 star reviews. This is the most amazing children's Bible I have ever seen (and with four children and their friends I have seen A LOT!). It is the Gospel, it is the tale of God's love for mankind, it is deep yet simple. The words are very well written and the pictures are simply gorgeous. In all it is thoroughly amazing. I have bought one for my family and one for a friend's family. Well worth the money; a great investment and good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Children's Bible, 23 July 2009
D. Skull (uk) - See all my reviews
I would love to recommend this as the best Children's Bible that i have come across! It is a great read from cover to cover and keeps the child's interest as the Big story of the Bible unfolds. Rather than focussing in on the detail and distraction of well loved Bible stories, it focuses all of the attention on the coming of Jesus and what that means for you and me today. I think it's a muct read for parents as well as children!! It is beautifully illustrated and divided into bite size chapters for bedtime stories!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent dedication/christening/birthday present, 21 Mar 2010
Ae Longhurst (UK) - See all my reviews
I took a risk buying this book without having seen it - but it lives up to all the other reviews. Brilliant illustrations and a story telling which is truthful, exciting and full of Christian hope. It's a book which parents will love to read with their children - and might teach adults a thing or two too! Only slight drawback is its weight - a small child might find it heavy to hold.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the big picture on the Bible, 8 Sep 2010
This is the very first bible I used with my daughter. It was able to keep her attention from the age of 18 months. How does it do it? Bright, uncluttered, relevant pictures cover each page and the text is brief and to the point.

But how good is the text? This is not the sort of book that recounts atomised Bible stories. Instead it is a work of biblical theology (yes, really) which traces the big themes of the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. It shows how Jesus is to be found in all the scriptures and it applies these teachings in a plain and practical way to its readers. You will find much the same approach in Graeme Goldsworthy's adult oriented writings.

In fact, the book is so good that, if you are a non-Christian reading this review, this is the book for you if you want to know what the Bible teaches in 90 minutes or less. I would certainly recommend it as a new baby gift. I am sure it is a book we will read again and again as my daughter grows so she can see the big picture of the Bible overarching the Bible stories she hears week by week.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Big Picture Story Bible with CD
Big Picture Story Bible with CD by HELM DAVID (Hardcover - 18 Nov 2010)
Used & New from: £14.01