5.0 out of 5 stars Outstandingly Good
This is a beautifully bound and published Bible.
It's ideal for both public reading and for private study.
It's bulkier than some other study Bibles, but I wouldn't swap it for anything else, such is the quality of it's notes.
An outstanding Bible - for scholars and casual readers alike.
Published on 27 Mar 2010 by Gordon J. Stewart

3.0 out of 5 stars What does it mean by 'Study'?
This is on my Kindle and my Tablet. Next to the NASB, I like this version very much.

But the 'study' part of it is disappointing. It gives cross references, but following them takes you away from the body text and it's difficult to find your way back.

Also, there are no historical or explanatory notes, as there are in my hard copy NASB. A little...
Published 8 months ago by Mrs. L. M. Morse

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstandingly Good, 27 Mar 2010
This is a beautifully bound and published Bible.
It's ideal for both public reading and for private study.
An outstanding Bible - for scholars and casual readers alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 9 Nov 2010
J. Taylor - See all my reviews
I have just treated myself to this edition to mark my admission and licensing as a Reader in the Church of England. I have studied Theology for four years to reach this stage and the ESV is not actually the version recommended by the English universities. However (and that's a big HOWEVER) I wish I had chosen this version, and this particular edition, at the start of my studies. The notes are extremely helpful and develop a deeper understanding of the individual texts. Also each of the scriptural books has a concise but comprehensive introduction, complete with charts and diagrams to reinforce the learning. I personally also like the layout and the differentiation between text and notes; I like the quality of the paper and also the soft leather binding. I just know this Bible will be a comfortable and supporting friend over the years of ministry to come.

Over the years I have acquired a shelf-full of Bibles but none 'tick quite so many boxes'. The drawbacks are - the size and weight but then all the study Bibles are by necessity heavy and bulky - and to an Englishman the American spellings can irritate.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent help to study, 8 Jun 2009
Michael Dickens "Mike" (Narthampton, England) - See all my reviews
The print is clear and easily readable. The comment are useful and concise. Notes are well written. The only draback is American spellings in the text. An UK-English version wouldbe welcomed. It would be also useful to have details of print size and style in the description of Bibles and works of reference in the dscription of the product. If possible a full size example of type fece of the text would be useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 July 2010
I am a new Christian and struggled with reading the bible as I needed an explanation of the text. This is excellent as it's set up with the explanatory notes on the same page as the bible text so you don't have to look things up in a seperate book. I think the explanations are good for people like me who don't know a lot but could also be helpful for people who have been studying the bible for years.

It also has good features such as an introduction to each book where it explains the time it was written and the author and an introduction to what the book is about. It also has a summary of the main events in the book with a timeline. This is handy for getting the main points of the book.

There is also a reading plan designed to get you through the bible in a year if you want to do that.

There also colour maps and diagrams where relevant. It's good to see reproductions of temples and the city of Jerusalem for example.

You also get free access to the online version which is great as it links you automatically to related parts of the bible and you can just click to find the next link rather than shuffle through the pages.

The only negative I found was that the paper is very thin - I think this is a tradeoff as there are so many pages as you have a full bible and explanatory text so if the pages were normal thickness it would probably be extremely heavy and far too thick!

5.0 out of 5 stars masterpiece, 24 Nov 2008
The best study bible I have ever owned - the ESV text being essentially literal is accurate not simplistic yet accessible for the average reader. The notes, maps and articles far surpass those I have read in any other study Bible for their depth and quality. If you want a bible that draws you in to further deeper study this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars ESV Study Bible, 17 Oct 2009
Nyall Davies (Diss UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ESV Study Bible (Hardcover)
The ESV is an excellent translation. I have never been fond of the NIV as it appears to deliberately turn sentences around to get away from previous translations that follow the order of the Greek text. The NIV is also a phrase for phrase translation and, as a result removes ambiguities or alternative renderings of many verses. These alterantives often have value. The ESV is a word for word translation and is thus more transparent, letting me see the original more clearly. I have been a user of the RSV for forty years and thought I would be continuing to use it. I have easily switched to the ESV. Authorised/KJ and NKJ users could easily do the same.
Those that have been brought up on the NIV will find it more difficult and may even think that the ESV doesn't read right.
The study notes are brilliant but make the book bulky and heavy. A small truck should easily cope with the weight. Going back to the study notes, I will give you an example. I have long since thought that the passage in Isaiah six, often headed 'the commissioning of Isaiah' is actually Isaiah's eaves dropping on a conversation within the Trinity and should be headed, "The comissioning of Jesus." I have never heard anybody preach this and am often looked on askance when I susggest it. It's there in the ESV study notes. These notes also have the advantage of being a relief from boredom during many sermons. They are thorough and have many maps and diagrams. Especially in the New Testament they occupy more space that the text itself. Many advantages if you can carry it around.
Nyall Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars ESV Study Bible Review, 10 Nov 2009
S. Gunn (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Excellent study bible. First impressions are that it is very detailed in its commentary. The inclusion of maps and other supporting historical information help set the Biblical scene and give the reader an understanding of the context in which the Biblical story has been played out.

5.0 out of 5 stars ESV study bible via Kindle, 4 Jan 2011
This review is from: ESV Study Bible (Kindle Edition)
I hope that the following review will help prospective purchasers. I give the Kindle to PC five stars as it provides a clear format on screen, with choice of page colour (black, white, tinted)and also a great flexibility of viewing options. The Kindle only version is more restricted and although good is only four stars by comparison. It may be just usage but I find that with the Kindle version I only read as though it were a book without notes, while with the Kindle to PC version I refer to the notes with much greater ease, not just the cross references but also the study notes. Having previously purchased a hard copy ESV bible eligible for the free ESV study download I would strongly recommend this above both the above Kindle versions. That download is available outside the USA and, although it is a very large download to PC, it is a wonderful tool. (One needs to consult the ESV website to find which books contain this offer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks set to be THE study bible to have, 28 Nov 2008
Mr. R. C. Mallett (Bedfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
I already have a couple of ESV Study Bibles (Scofield and Reformation) as I really like the translation of the ESV, but this is better.

Unusually, it prints the text (in 9pt type) in a single column (like ordinary books) with the cross references in the left margin, and study notes below in two columns in smaller type.

Also unusual (and very welcome) is that it has colour maps (where relevant) on the same page as the text, as well as a map section on thicker paper at the back.

The other bonus is that you get a code number that gives you access to the online text, notes, maps and diagrams; plus you can personalise your notes online (though I haven't tried that yet).

People say it's too big at 2750 pages; but it is more manageable than (for example) the New Interpreters Study Bible (NRSV) which has fewer pages, but in a wider format.

I can see this being THE study bible that others will have to try to emulate.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best., 9 July 2009
I have titled this review one of the best, and I mean it.
This study bible is is exquisite. The notes are helpfull in understanding and giving a basic start on many difficult passages. The detailed background information given behind each book of the bible help you give insite into views, situations and really puts alot of what is said in context. The maps enhance the reality of where biblical cities where incomparison with modern day cities. The articles are fantastic and really tackle difficult issues that orthodox bible believing christians want and must fight for so that the doctrine is not distorted (see 2Peter 3:15-16). As well as all this the cross-referencing and concordence that has been improved since the original ESV bibles is brilliant as ever making it even easier to find passages and look up others to back up points or give even more insite in to questions.
With all this plus access to an online version with even more bonus features, it makes me think about changing the title to 'the best'.
I really think that all other study bibles have a new goal to aim towards.

ESV Study Bible
ESV Study Bible by Wayne Grudem (Hardcover - 15 Oct 2008)
Used & New from: 24.64