5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful book for a Christian
As others have said, I was also drawn to this book after seeing a series of debates by William Lane Craig. However, as an agnostic, I felt like this wasn't really meant for me but rather it was meant for Christians to reinforce their fate and allow them to develop a positive case for the existence of God based on actual arguments.

I don't think this book can...
Published on 25 Mar 2009 by Sergio Henrique

3.0 out of 5 stars Intended only for Christians
Published on 20 Nov 2010 by M. Kakkatil

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful book for a Christian, 25 Mar 2009
Sergio Henrique (Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reasonable Faith (Paperback)

I don't think this book can convert an atheist to theism although I personally found it interesting and useful for a better understanding of the Christian case for God.

My choice to rate it with 5 stars is based on what I think the value that this book may have for Christians, it's intended audience. A non-believer will certainly find this book interesting but not necessarily convincing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and understandable., 26 Mar 2013
This review is from: Reasonable Faith (Paperback)
Having just concluded the book I felt obliged to review it and give my appreciation for such a fantastic book. Naturally, as some reviewers have commented, it is not a book which will instantaneously make a Christian out of a non-Christian, but I do feel that the arguments presented are very compelling and Dr. Craig makes a point out of establishing them over the course of many pages. Perhaps I cannot comment, as a believer in Christ, yet it is necessary to understand that it is, as he introduces it himself, a book for the student 'in Seminary'.

The book, note wisely, is not concerned at all with the 'negative' aspect of apologetics (i.e. explaining the problem of evil etc.) but rather the positive aspects (i.e. the arguments for God's existence). Finally, I would just encourage you to buy this book and read it with an open mind!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading for Christians, Still Excellent for Non-Christians, 25 July 2011
Mr. Peter T. Hardy (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reasonable Faith (Paperback)
Other reviewers are entirely correct to emphasise that this a textbook for Christians to learn apologetics from, rather than a book addressed to non-Christians. However, it is not *entirely* inappropriate for a non-believer, especially as it's probably the best Christian apologetics book there is. I read it as an atheist and it did a lot towards my conversion. The most important thing I can say about this book -to the Christian and non-Christian alike- is ignore the first chapter. This suggests treating Bible as infallible which to me is irrational, futile and very off-putting. But from the third chapter onwards it is very reasonable and just keeps getting better.

It gives a very detailed account of the case for God, in addition to other central apologetic concerns. It's not exhaustive, there are plenty of other topics that need to be covered, but they can be found elsewhere (look up my listmania list). Yes it's not perfect, there's plenty of things in there I disagree with, but the central argument is solid. Speaking as a philosophy graduate, there aren't any major fallacies- contrary to what other reviewers have exhorted so emotively. If someone thinks they've found a fallacy why don't they spell it out in detail?

Finally, if you're unsure whether to purchase the book a lot of the same material can be read in articles available on Craig's official website. Here he also responds to e-mailed criticisms of his work on a weekly basis.

3.0 out of 5 stars Intended only for Christians, 20 Nov 2010
M. Kakkatil "mlesliek" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reasonable Faith (Paperback)
I am an atheist and I bought this book because an evangelical friend of mine suggested that it would answer all my question. But like what other reviewers have pointed out this book will not convert an agnostic or atheist to a believer but is intended only for Christians to solidify their beliefs and to come up with "intelligent" answers when debating with an atheist. Didnt serve my purpose but all in all an interesting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable Faith by William Lane Craig, 3 Jun 2013
WLC is a serious Christian thinker, fearless in his willingness to debate Christianity with any Atheist willing to do so. This book is a serious piece of work, covering many of the reasons to believe in God, whilst also considering the objections to faith. The history of apologetics is extensively covered with a very wide bibliography.
Reasonable Faith is not a light read, but it is a great book for anyone interested in Theism, Christianity and reasons to believe.
I thoroughly recommend this to anyone who has to defend the faith in their walk with God.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every now and then in life we come on a ..., 1 Aug 2014
This review is from: Reasonable Faith (Paperback)
Every now and then in life we come on a book which ignites the mind. "Reasonable Faith" is one of those books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Agnostic View, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: Reasonable Faith (Paperback)
I came to this book after watching some of the authors debates online. I've found it refreshing to read and listen to a Christian who uses logic and reason to defend their view.

However, on my part, as the author states, this book can only help you decide that it is likely, based on human reasoning, that god exists. It does not offer proof. I would somewhat agree with the author, in that proof can only be found through first person experience.

It is likely that this book will cement a Christians faith and impress atheists and agnostics. However, I'm not certain it will convert any atheists and agnostics.

I do think, that most Christians should read this book; it would certainly improve the debates between atheists and Christians and, perhaps, atheists may let go of some of their basic misconceptions on this subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 27 Dec 2011
This review is from: Reasonable Faith (Paperback)
As a student studying mathematics I hoped this book would provide logical and well reasoned arguments. I was not disappointed. I have struggled to find good counter arguments to Craig. But the book is aimed at a Christian reader, so if you are an atheist or agnostic when he talks about personal experience and the Holy Spirit near the beginning don't get scared off!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book - Ignore the Butthurt Atheists, 27 Jun 2013
This review is from: Reasonable Faith (Paperback)
I am just writing this view to point out in terms of apologetics this book is brilliant, and contains both great reasoning and evidence for theistic arguments and critique of atheistic arguments. Ignore the one star reviews, they are atheists who are kinda butthurt about how badly they were hit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter bilge, 6 Mar 2013
Telboy (Holywood, Co Down, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Reasonable Faith (Paperback)
I read this book after realising that I had not read much in the way of Christian apologetics, and was in danger of only looking at one side of the argument. All I can say after reading this is that, if this is the best that Christian apologetics can come up with, atheism has absolutely nothing to worry about. Craig blots his copybook right from the beginning, and makes it clear that this is not an objective, dispassionate piece of writing but propaganda - he has already made up his mind what the "truth" is. He rails from the beginning about the "...bitter fruits of secularism", begging the question that secularism is in some way bad or wrong (naturally without presenting any evidence that this is the case), and incorrectly equating secularism with atheism. From then on, the book is a veritable catalogue of question begging, wishful thinking, wish fulfillment, assertions made without evidence, logical fallacies both formal and informal and straw men. Certainly, read this book if you're a Christian and want to memorise some fine-sounding phrases to bandy about. Just don't expect it to hold any water if someone digs a little deeper to see if the fine-sounding phrases make any sense, because they don't.

Reasonable Faith
Reasonable Faith by William Lane Craig (Paperback - 18 July 2008)
15.55