5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book that hooked me for life!
Published on 16 July 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars I think I may be too British for this book
I really wanted to love this book, but sadly, I just couldn't. I think it might be because it uses Welsh myth: I grew up in Wales, and the flavour here just struck me as wrong. Somehow Welsh mythology gets a smell of Disney when you transport it to the USA or Canada. I don't know why. Perhaps because so many of the grimmer bits of Wales get left behind in transit...
Published on 16 Jun. 2010 by Victoria Clare

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book that hooked me for life!, 16 July 1999
This review is from: Moonheart (Newford) (Paperback)
10 years ago, a friend handed me a copy of MOONHEART with the command, "Read this...NOW!" I did and I've been hooked on Charles deLint ever since. Some parts of his work makes me wonder if he has a magic window that lets him see into my life. Charles is also very kind to his fans and WILL respond to email as much as he is able, which makes him one of the really good guys. Looking forward to his next book, -Forests of the Heart-

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Magical Book, 14 Jan. 1998
This review is from: Moonheart (Newford) (Paperback)
In Moonheart, Charles de Lint proves himself to be one of the best urban fantasy authors. This book blends Celtic & Native American folklore with "real" life situations. The narrative grabs ahold of you from the onset and never lets go. The only regret I had was when I reached the last page of the book, and I realized I had reached the end. In all, it is one of my favorite all-time stories, and one that can, and should, be read time and time again without losing its magic or flavor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Urban Faerie at its very best!, 30 Oct. 1997
This review is from: Moonheart (Newford) (Paperback)
This was the first De Lint I discovered, and I still feel that it is his finest work. His adept blending of contemporary Ottawa, music, magic, Celtic mythology as well as Native beliefs are what give this book its multi-level appeal. This novel was my first foray into the "urban faerie" sub-genre of fantasy, and led me to a number of other fine novels. If you like De Lint, I would suggest: Tam Lin by Pamela Dean
War For the Oaks by Emma Bull
Waking the Moon by Elizabeth Hand
and the Borderlands Series by Terry Windling and Ellen Datlow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Multi Orgasmic, 12 Sept. 1999
This review is from: Moonheart (Paperback)
This was the first ever Delint book I bought and I'm still not sick of reading it. This man is one of the few writers who take you along on a rythm into his tale. The writing is lyrical, taliesin is totty and the story is just plain magic. There are a lot of awfully clever ideas in here, the house spirit being just one of them. I particularly like the ordanairiness of the characters in oppose to some god awful black dressed vampire wanna be stumbling into a crypt at night and discovering elves after three spliffs and a pint, which is what some urban fantasy tends to be. if there was more stuff like this on the market, more books would sell.

5.0 out of 5 stars The sort of tale that never grows old; a *magnificent* story, 18 Jan. 2000
This review is from: Moonheart (Paperback)
I bought this book several years ago, and I think I've read it something like 20 times by now and have recommended it to countless friends. That should really say it all! The characters are wonderfully flawed and human, and there's more than enough twists to the tale to keep the reader well hooked. I recently lost most of my paperbacks in a flood; this will be the first one I replace.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Fantasy books I have ever read., 30 Mar. 1999
This review is from: Moonheart (Paperback)
Moon heart is one of those books that you simply cannot put down once you have picked it up. I completely lost track of time. The storytelling was so good and the worlds are blended with such ease that anything seems real. I have read a lot of books of this genre, but rarely one this good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moonheart just may be my favorite fantasy book ever!, 31 Jan. 1997
As the first Charles De Lint book I discovered, Moonheart
turned De Lint into a favorite author of mine forever. His
characters are diverse and likeable, female characters are
never wimps, and he weaves mythologies of several cultures
together deftly.
I've been devouring books since I was a small child, and
my first taste of Moonheart sent me back to the bookstores,
special-ordering everything that could be acquired by De Lint.
If you enjoy fantasy fiction - the kind you can't put down,
Moonheart is a must-have!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Moonheart, 21 Jan. 1998
This review is from: Moonheart (Newford) (Paperback)
I have been looking for this treasure for years, as I let my original get away, (foolish). I did not even know if it was in print. A wonderfull book, that blends youths, on the paths of life, with the legendary world of faery. Indian shamanism to celtic beliefs, all in an inthralling story. I especially loved the gifting ring, and awe inspiring visits into the past. I am gratefull to have found it again, (as no doubt will be my friends, who have continuously asked for it since,) and will snatch it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 19 May 1998
This review is from: Moonheart (Newford) (Paperback)
DeLint's best skill has always been in making the fantasy and real worlds meld seamlessly, and this book remains his masterpiece. Truly a work of beauty. Even if you're not normally into fantasy (I'm more of a hard core SF guy), you will probably like this one.
Unfortunately, some of DeLint's more recent stuff gives the impression that he has run out of ideas. But you'll not go wrong with Moonheart.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantabulous synergy of contemporary life and myth., 18 Mar. 1998
This review is from: Moonheart (Newford) (Paperback)
A superb compesate of true emotion and the unbelievable beauty of Celtic and Native American mythology. I found it gripping, breath taking and heart wrenching at times. The characters are truly human, and this is what you will find most encaptulating. A very in-depth story that will hold you until the very end!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Moonheart
Moonheart by Charles de Lint (Audio CD - Feb. 2013)
Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months