on 2 October 2014
This is by far the best and most portable field guide to the birds of Madagascar and the Indian Ocean Islands which we recommend to all our clients on our Birdfinders birdwatching tours to the region. The first edition was good and the second edition better, but this new fully-revised third edition is the best yet with excellent illustrations, range maps and concise information on identification, habitat and range. A must have for birders visiting this region and excellent value.
on 9 October 2013
Whenever I book a holiday to somewhere new, I look for a bird guide to cover that area as I can't see a bird without wanting to know "what was that?". Couldn't find a "Birds of Madagascar", but a web search did reveal this book. It covers more than just Madagascar, but that's fine - perhaps I'll have another holiday in the region. The book is not too bulky to carry around with you, printed on good quality glossy paper so should be robust for using in the field and, what I really like, has the distribution maps alongside the species descriptions, not hidden away at the back of the book as with many guides. It has the common names of the birds in English and alongside that French, which is the "lingua franca" of the area. There are so many endemics in the region that a birder visiting the area definitely needs a good field guide to separate the vangas, tylas, newtonias, tetrakas, etc. The book points out the distinguishing features, but descriptions are rather brief relying considerably on the drawings, which seem good - but only experience in the field can say how good. Looking forward to testing this guide in the field, but so far it looks pretty good!
on 23 October 2014
This is essentially a completely new book despite the fact that it is called 3rd edition. It is a classical field guide with the range maps and text facing the plates. By far the most convenient way to do it. The plates, all in full colour, are superb, the range maps clear and the texts are concise and most informative. Definitely a top field guide, and well worth buying even if one has no immediate intention to ever visit the area.

Authors are actually both Ian Sinclair and Olivier Langrand.
on 5 December 2013
I took this important book with me to Madagascar for 17 days of looking at the natural world, and found it a bit clumsy to use. Much more difficult to look for a bird whose identity is not known...unlike flicking through a paper version, and although the plates are good (and can be nicely enlarged) you only get a single bird at a time, and never those sheets of several birds belonging to the same group. The maps are useful, but I would have liked in an electronic book to eliminate the islands I was not visiting (perhaps this is unrealistic). The search facility ironically may give you too many references to the bird in question. The search facility requires completely accurate spelling and hyphens, which means you may find an unfamiliar bird difficult to find initially. You certainly would probably not want this with you in the field (unlike the paper version, which I have also used in Madagascar!). Perhaps a new edition of this book would make it easier to use.
on 3 September 2014
Big fan of Ian Sinclairs id books due to the ease, layout and information. My third book by him in the series I have bought for different trips.
on 11 June 2016
Stunning guide to one of the world's lesser known regions of high diversity and startlingly high number of indigenous species . Droolingly authoritive ,covering Madagascar and "neighbours" including Reunion , The Seychelles , Round Island , The Comoros etc. You may well never go anywhere near the Indian Ocean but this will fascinate even the most armchair-bound ornithologist . Illustrations are first rate.
on 22 August 2014
Took a long time to arrive - I ordered three books from different companies on the same day and this one arrived many days after the other two. The book though is very good and I am sure will be useful during our forthcoming holiday to Madagascar.
on 29 November 2014
Really useful and indispensable in the field on a trip to Madagascar. Complete and up to date. Pictures are excellent, but descriptions are a little limited. Good value for money.
on 5 December 2015
I used this in Madagascar and I found it very helpful in Identifying the birds that I had not seen before, I would recommend it to anyone thinking of going there
on 13 June 2014
I think the book is informative and colourful. I look forward to using it when I visit Mauritius next year.