Published 7 months ago by TonyS

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Approach for Me
No longer a full-time developer as I run a business providing a wide variety of IT support services. I just received a commission for a web-based application from a managed services customer and I relished the opportunity to do some programming.

Published 11 months ago by Adso

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tutorial resource for C# developers with no previous ASP.NET experience, 30 July 2014
This review is from: Pro ASP.Net MVC 5 (Expert's Voice in ASP.Net) (Paperback)
I loved this book! I am an experienced C# developer but have never written any ASP.NET applications. The book was pitched just right for me personally, because he introduces and explains all ASP.NET MVC concepts clearly and lucidly. He takes nothing for granted and explains everything in-depth. It is a tutorial-style book, where you really have to follow along by actually coding along with him. In contrast to a lot of similar books, I have found no mistakes or omissions! That's a credit to the author for working hard at making sure the examples worked as stated in the book.
Some readers might find the style irritating, perhaps because they're already experiencd ASP.NET developers, or maybe because they want to skip the Ninject sections, or avoid unit testing etc. But I highly recommend the use of both - after all, as the author explains thoroughly, dependency injection and unit testing are two of the main benefits of the MVC approach, so although they are optional, they're very important.
I think there is a general level of excellence in his writing, clear descriptions, and right pacing. I can highly recommend this book for experienced C# developers who are novice ASP.NET programmers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, missing authentication, 29 Mar. 2014
Mr. T. M. Giles (Staines (the west side) UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pro ASP.Net MVC 5 (Expert's Voice in ASP.Net) (Paperback)
Covers everything I wanted it to except authentication and security. The author mentions that you can go to a web page and download a chapter from a future book to help, as he believes it should have been included in this one. However it is still not available. Bit unfortunate. Otherwise a great reference book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well structured and very thorough tutorial, 10 Feb. 2015
Nicholas V. Dowling "Nick Dowling" (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pro ASP.Net MVC 5 (Expert's Voice in ASP.Net) (Paperback)
If you are familiar with the C# language but are new to web development using ASP.Net MVC and want to learn how to create production quality web applications then this is the book to get. So many books give an overview of a technology using wizards and templates that is sufficient only for creating demo apps. This book shows you how to structure MVC apps correctly from the very beginning, and shows you how the tools that you need to create real applications (dependency injection using Ninject, unit testing using the Visual Studio tools and mocking with Moq) fit with the MVC framework. You may prefer other tools in particular (such as Unity rather than Ninject), but that is not the point – it is how they fit together with ASP MVC that is the key concept.

The book is well structured and very thorough tutorial. Some people may find the pace a little slow, but to my mind that is better than essential concepts being skimmed over. If you are hoping to learn how to knock up a quick and dirty web site then not only would this book not be appropriate but also you would probably be better off opting for a different web technology altogether. ASP.Net MVC aims to solves problems inherent in large scale web applications, and this book shows you how to use the framework correctly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great literature., 26 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Pro ASP.Net MVC 5 (Expert's Voice in ASP.Net) (Paperback)
Great literature. I use it in my education in Web Development.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, I found it easy to follow, 1 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Pro ASP.Net MVC 5 (Expert's Voice in ASP.Net) (Paperback)
Great book, I found it easy to follow, get the examples up and running and going through the theory side of things I was motivated right till the final page. Nice size of a book to read and good writing style !

5.0 out of 5 stars superb tutorial book, 22 April 2014
Goes through different stages of usage very nicely. Only thing is that for security it references another book, so this book isnt enough on it's own given the importance of secure web sites....

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Approach for Me, 5 April 2014
This review is from: Pro ASP.Net MVC 5 (Expert's Voice in ASP.Net) (Paperback)

Things have changed a great deal since I last wrote a MS based web-based app (in dot net 2.0), but having recently written an iOS app which required learning the MVC concept, I didn't think the learning curve to master ASP.NET MVC 5 would be too steep, and I'd be able to get up and running quickly. That has not been the case using this book as my teacher.

Too much of the non-essentials such as unit testing, mocking and dependency injection could have been shoved nearer the back of the book. I wasted an entire afternoon waiting for the nuget.org servers to provide me with the three ninject installations required to learn this book's version of dependency injection. If the author used the visual studio built in DI tool, this would have been unnecessary. Although the author said the ninject chapter was optional, since it was written into the Sports Store application example which takes up a good chunk of the remainder of the book, this is evidently NOT so!

The first useful chapter for me was Chapter 7 which delved into using databases. Its approach was to use the local database, but when I followed the coding instructions, the app crashed because it was trying to find the model db rather than the sportsStore db. This turned out to be because I already had a previous version of SQL Server Express installed on my dev box, which the Entity Framework defaults to using if it finds it present. It took an entire afternoon of frustrating trial and error before this bug was fixed by tweaking connection strings etc. I am not sure if I can blame the author for this or the way the Entity Framework is constructed. But surely a more universal approach must be possible?

It is not uncommon for code examples in these kinds of books to fail since configurations are so varied depending on which tools are being used. What I have found useful with other books is accompanying blogs which enable students which encounter the same problems to obtain fixes from each other. Such a blog would have been extremely useful for this book, but I have been unable to find one at the publisher's website.

I suspect that the most trouble free way of using this book is probably to wipe your development machine, reinstall Windows, then install the latest version of Visual Studio Express. Any other configuration is likely to cause problems, which of course may be educational in themselves!

I am still only in Chapter 7! I will probably amend this assessment as I go along, but so far I have to conclude that I may have learnt MVC 5 quicker if I had tried another book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buying this title will result in you receiving spam, regardless of your advertising preferences, 27 April 2014
One reason I've chosen Amazon as a preferred retailer in the past is that they ask what my advertising preferences are, and have until now been smart enough to respect those preferences. I hate receiving any form of unsolicited email, especially advertising. For the avoidance of doubt - and especially for those deliberately-obtuse self-styled marketing "gurus" with bizarre self-serving interpretations of the word "unsolicited" - 'unsolicited' means I didn't explicitly ask for it, and your email is not directly about a purchase I have made.

In the case of this book (and one other I bought on the same day from the same publisher) my purchase immediately resulted in my being emailed a "Promotional Code", that affords me the golden opportunity to spend yet more money, but only on certain books on entirely unrelated subjects that I wouldn't read if you paid me, and it must be used by yadda yadda.... In other words, it's exactly the same type of desperate annoying unsolicited upselling that physical high street stores like HMV used to engage in endlessly right before they went bust. It's a shame to see that the 'brilliant' marketers that helped HMV, Jessops and other once-leading high street retailers to go out of business now seem to be 'helping' online retailers do the same.

I only need to be bitten once to never purchase from a seller again. This is the last book I'll buy from Apress. I've never had this problem when buying from Wrox or any other vendor. If this is a more general change in spamming policy by Amazon, I'll bin Kindle altogether. It's that simple.

This isn't a good marketing strategy, Amazon or Apress. Trust me on this. Just because you send spam from an email address that you have the cheek to announce doesn't accept incoming email, doesn't mean that customers won't find a way to express our displeasure when you engage in blatant spamming.

No doubt there will be some who complain this review isn't about the book itself. However, reviews are also meant to be about the whole experience of dealing with the vendor and author in question, not just the product itself. In this case, the consumer experience has been less than optimal. If like me you hate spam, I suggest giving this title a miss and choosing one from another publisher. Hopefully one that will respect your marketing preferences and not engage in pointless upselling that serves only to alienate the consumer.

Pro ASP.Net MVC 5 (Expert's Voice in ASP.Net)
Pro ASP.Net MVC 5 (Expert's Voice in ASP.Net) by Adam Freeman (Paperback - 23 Dec. 2013)