Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 January 2013
We are at the moment in time where a book on writing a game using HTML5 and JavaScript is actually really easy to find, there are many books on the subject nowadays. I have read quite a few of them, so when I was asked to Technical Review some of the chapters for this book I wasn't really expecting much more than a basic arcade game. How very wrong I was!

Shankar has written a book that, with ease, explains some quite advanced techniques. I enjoyed the book, especially where he explained how to write node.js code for a multiplayer RTS game which was the most useful introduction to server-side JavaScript that I have ever seen. That is what I find incredible about his writing style, he explains. Most books I have read just list code, he explains how it works and makes it easy to learn.

This book targets professionals, but really I think if you have some experience with programming or coding for the web then you will not have a problem understanding the book. If you are a professional, then well, this is a book that you will actually find useful, and fun!
on 9 June 2014
So I am an artist wanting to learn programming to be able to produce the full package. I am a fan of RTS games in which this book uses an one of the examples. The book is well written and the code written with only a few mistakes or code not matching images in the book. I bought the kindle version of which is very well linked and can easily be followed. On the kindle it self it was harder to see the pictures but on PC or tablet it was much better. For a complete beginner to HTML I found it useful with the start of the book explain basic techniques and breaking down the code. Further on I struggled following some of the code but with some simple Google searches I found what certain sections did or meant. I would suggest getting this book if you have a basic understanding of programming basics. This is also a useful book for other languages, I am actually using c# and a lot of the java script and html can be converted or looked at for an idea of the code structure (minus the canvas etc). I have also contacted the author with questions in which I had quick responses and he seems very willing to help If I had any downside it would be I struggled to find the source code off of Apress's website as it wasn't in the search for some reason. All in all a good book for a beginner/intermediate programmer wanting to read a book on HTML5 that's not so dumbed down but not to difficult to follow either. The fact that it is on Kindle and cheaper than the physical copy is a bonus!
on 14 May 2014
This book teaches you the basics first of HTML5 gaming techniques before plunging you into the developement of 2 games, each one with a step by step process which is easy to follow.
on 28 February 2016
Brought as a gift, very satisfied with item.