5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best iOS 5 introduction
I'm through the first quarter of this book, and I do not often do reviews, but for this book I make an exception. The authors just know what a beginner is looking for, they know what problems you'll likely to have, you'll always get the answers to your questions on time. The example programs are easy to understand yet exciting enough that you type them in.

I...
Published on 12 Feb 2012 by James Onedin

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not "rewritten from scratch"
Published on 22 Mar 2012 by sjk1000

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best iOS 5 introduction, 12 Feb 2012
James Onedin (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

I highly recommend this book. Oh yes, and one more comment on the Kindle edition. There's no issues with the fonts, the new stuff you'll have to add is bold face, I had no issues whatsoever typing in the example code.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done, 8 Feb 2012
I found this book an excellent and informative read. The author(s) style is very engaging and friendly.

It manages three key achievements that are rare in books:

(1) it assumes the reader knows *something*, so doesn't waste pages explaining things that anyone interested could find on google in 10 seconds.

(2) introduces material in manageable incremental steps. Almost all other books I've seen in this area tend to start dumb and after 30 pages skyrocket into the unknown, leaving me to watch the trail and wonder where it's all going.

(3) Avoids trying to go too deep into some bizarre specific point for "those interested", since all that can achieve for beginners is confusion. In other words, it's written for whom it says : beginners.

Well done to the writers. Thoroughly recommended. So much so, I will be looking into other books from these authors.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent book - but kindle version has bugs, 16 Jan 2012
This is a very good book - with latest Xcode 4.2 features included (storyboards, etc) and the kindle version is good ... however, the code snippets (quite an essential part) haven't translated well from the print version to the kindle.
Specifically, there are sections of code that are highlighted in the print version that need to be removed from your own code as the authors show how an app develops ... they are highlighted by strike-through text. This appears as normal text on the kindle. So you have to figure out yourself which bits to remove and which to add.
I would give three stars for the kindle version - and five for the print.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 19 May 2012
This is a fantastic book. I love the format that it is written in - it's easy to follow and practical. It's the kind of book you follow through, cover to cover and build along with each chapter. I personally find I learn the most this way and you get a real sense of accomplishment. One idiot left an extremely unhelpful review saying it's full of mistakes - I disagree with this, and potential buyers should take no notice of this. Yes there are a couple of mistakes, but if you cannot work through them then I would seriously question whether or not you are capable enough to become a software developer. The mistakes are generally small typing errors which you must give some credit to the authors - this is an issue of a book that has been revised many times - the authors aren't perfect.

I've only had the book a few days and I'm already on Chapter 6 - I've been working along with the writers and built a few little apps. Already I've made great progress and I'm understanding the concepts very well.

With regards to Objective C - I strongly recommend against relying on this book to teach you Objective C, and certainly if you are completely new to programming, this is not the book for you. I'm a previous software developer and have come from both a web development and C++ background, so I understand the concepts but some of the Objective C language specifics are new to me. The book does assume you have a working knowledge of Objective C and doesn't really take the time to explain any of the language fundamentals.

Probably one of the only cons of this book I can think of is that it is very verbose. I find that while the writing style of the authors is humorous, they do "waffle on" a bit. But this is OK, it's just that if you are used to a short, snappy and to the point writing style (one good example of this I can think of is Agile Web Development with Rails), then you are probably going to find this book a bit more verbose than what you're used to.

All in all - a fantastic book, laid out in a great style where you "learn by doing" and start at a nice slow, introductory pace. The authors explain everything very well and you gain a great practical knowledge of the concepts involved. However, this isn't the book for you if you are new to programming entirely. If you are a programmer but not Objective C familiar (like me) you should be fine - there are plenty of resources on line you can refer to alongside this book as you follow along.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 28 Feb 2012
I was sceptical about buying this book as I am a true beginner in the iOS world and do not have much programming skills/experience. I had tried a few other tutorials etc and was making basic applications but this book teaches you so much more.

I can't speak for the experienced users out there but for any proper beginners thinking of buying this book it well worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent assistant, 17 Mar 2012
Just the job for me!

Some slight direction assumed leading to incorrect judgement. Now that xCode has been updated, mostly to take into account the new iPad 3, there are a few updates needed in the book to keep up. Some coding is now automatic and when duplicating "Views", for instance from portrait to landscape, the buttons are also duplicated. Don't forget to move your buttons on the duplicated portrait before changing it to landscape or you may not be able to re-position lost buttons.

All-in-all, very good!

Regards
John

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not "rewritten from scratch", 22 Mar 2012
There are some very good chapters here but like a couple of other authors of similar books the chapters reference XCode 4.2 in the introductory text and continue to use the older methods, in particular for storyboarding. It feels like the publishers wanted to get a book published soon after XCode 4.2's release but didn't really care whether it was fit for purpose. I gave it 2 out of 5 because as I was working through it, I couldn't trust that the text was appropriate for what I needed to learn, and I felt a little ripped off having bought it on the basis that it'd been fully updated. Perhaps worth the reduced price, it's debatable whether buying this book now is educational or confusing. However, as I said earlier there are some very good chapters where the subject matter didn't needed revising.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not helpful at all, 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: Beginning IOS 6 Development: Exploring the IOS SDK (Paperback)
Because of a terrible index it's almost impossible to find anything in this book. So, as reference material, it's hopeless.
A good third of the book is devoted to layouts. Quite unnecessarily in my view.
There's nothing at all on the web view interface.
OpenGL is barely touched upon.
Camera integration is skimmed over.
Sensor integration is hardly mentioned.
Every small project features just a single function with no thought whatsoever put into how you'd make a real app's functions work together.
Definitely not worth the price tag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough And Accessible, 26 July 2013
I'm catching up on the latest iOs innovations (until iOs 7...) and this was a great book for catching up. The author builds your confidence and ability through a series of exercises. After following through and trying all the examples in this book, you will be ready to code your own iOs 6 app. I would recommend getting an Objective C tutorial book first as this is not covered in detail in this book. Watch out for the odd error in the text which is left over from previous versions where ARC was not available to developers. That last sentence will make a lot more sense once you've read the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introductory textbook, 30 Jun 2013
Although I am an experienced developer (more than twenty years experience in a variety of languages and frameworks) I have always thought the learning curve for objective-C and iPhone development too steep for my taste. The few times I have made an 'Hello World' under the guide of introductory textbooks I concluded that perhaps this was a technique that I was growing too old for. I am happy to say that this book has changed that grim future.

Instead of delving right into the aspects that make the iPhone the iPhone (like responsive design, multiple orientations and location based services), this books starts out by describing the most fundamental building blocks of iOS, like outlets and actions. From then on it's on to ever increasing complex UI-elements, starting at buttons, going from pickers to tables and subviews. Giving practical hands-on code to make the things work you are offered the opportunity to get to know your way around xcode, its quirks and balances and different aspects that make it so different from Eclipse or vi. More complex topics, such as data persistence and using the camera and sensors, are introduced beginning the second half of the book, so only after you know your way around.

Coming from a background in software-analysis, I have to say that some of the code in the book should perhaps be organized in a different manner (such as to reduce code duplication and complexity and to get rid of those switches), but for demonstration purposes these minor deficiencies do not stand in the way of getting the message across - actually doing some refactoring on some parts of the code based allowed me to get more understanding of what was going on.

I did this book in two weekends flat, typing out (and eventually understanding) every line of code and now I feel comfortable enough to start developing my own apps (I have a need for one or two, which is why I restarted learning this in the first place) and will definitely be going over the examples in this book again in the process. Also I will make this book obligatory for the next semester, when I will be teaching about Web and Mobile Development at our university.

Beginning IOS 6 Development: Exploring the IOS SDK
Beginning IOS 6 Development: Exploring the IOS SDK by Jeff LaMarche (Paperback - 9 Jan 2013)
20.68