4.0 out of 5 stars Educational, but very boring and full of mistakes, 30 May 2013
This review is from: The Definitive Guide to HTML5 (Paperback)
I've read just over half of this book, but I've come across a large amount of typos, spelling mistakes and code errors.

The reason this book has so many pages is because each example listing has the same nauseating HTML repeated over and over. The book repeats the phrase 'I Like apples and Oranges' 40 times all in all for example; this guy is nuts !

Having said that I'm certainly discovering a thing or two and despite the poor error checking and sadomasochistic examples, the book promises to be a thorough treatment of modern day web development.

There are some overview chapters on CSS, Javascript and HTML but the book is aimed at experienced developers who are looking to get up to speed with the latest advances. I think you will become quite confused if you try to start learning web development from scratch with this book.

The example code can be freely downloaded and although not presented with a nice index page as with other books, is fairly easy to use.

I fully intend to soldier on with this one and will update this review when I get to the end :-)

Update: 16/06/13

just finished this today and looking forward to going back to run the example code on my Dev, machine, ( 'doing is learning' as they say) .
I would recommend this book as a refresher and update for those wanting to learn HTML5 and who already know the basics.
It strikes quite a good balance in fact between being a 'book about HTML5' and 'a book about web Development'.
Topics are explained clearly and sections are laid out so that they progress logically, building on the same example code.
I think the reader will also benefit from the voice of experience here, albeit not the most imaginative mind when it comes to creating example HTML !

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Adam Freeman!, 29 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Definitive Guide to HTML5 (Paperback)
What a book! What a tome! This comprehensive resource for HTML5 & CSS3 is a truly formidable undertaking. It successfully explains a huge spectrum of of the web development jungle, in a consistent, thoughtful & accessible style. Sure enough, the examples are ugly as ever, but the functionality is well illustrated.

A gods end for beginners and professionals alike, this book is the one you'll turn to again and again for the next two or so years - thank you Adam Freeman. This is what I've been looking for.

4.0 out of 5 stars good coverage and much smaller on kindle, 27 Jan 2014
I have HTML and javascript references on my kindle - good coverage of the topics and I dont have all the weight of the paper versions

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Read!, 14 May 2013
This review is from: The Definitive Guide to HTML5 (Paperback)
Great book, I was struggling before, it easy to understand and helped a great deal! I would recommendd this product to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very excellent book., 26 Mar 2013
Roland Pullen - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Definitive Guide to HTML5 (Paperback)
I am an experience web site designer and writer but wanted to move forward technologically. This book has been invaluable to fill out areas I have previously skimmed over and taking me forward in CSS, HTML and Javascript. A well written and excellent book, if necessarily large. Highly recommended, glad I bought it, spent many hours buried in it.

The Definitive Guide to HTML5
The Definitive Guide to HTML5 by Adam Freeman (Paperback - 22 Dec 2011)
33.36