5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for any programming beginner
Published on 14 July 2012 by Tommo

3.0 out of 5 stars typos in a programming book for beginners
Published on 22 Jan. 2012 by yannguyt

3.0 out of 5 stars typos in a programming book for beginners, 22 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Objective-C for Absolute Beginners: iPhone, iPad and Mac Programming Made Easy (Paperback)
I really like this book. For a non programmer to start of without having to type code you don't understand by learning a little 3d animation app first is a great idea. The examples are fun and you'll actually be making apps before you know it. But anyone who learns programming will learn how to type because typos break your program. The amount of typos that have had me pulling my hair out by the time I got to chapter 9 is just inexcusable for a programming book. Its real shame because compared to other "for beginner" books this one gets the tone right.

The Xcelme site it advertises doesn't have the updated code a reviewer of the previous edition claimed there was. I couldn't get into the forums to comment and didn't see any feedback on this there.. I have recommended this book to a friend already because of the way it eases you in but be ready to resort to the internet when the errors won't go away..

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for any programming beginner, 14 July 2012
I bought this book to allow me to get on the iOS application development bandwagon. I had previously done some elementary programming in secondary school though this was many years ago and using a now pretty much obsolete language (Visual Basic 6). The book is well organised and takes you through the basics of programming in any language, though there is a focus on object orientated approaches (as this is an Objective-C book). The book has a number of fun exercises throughout and you really feel you are making progress in understanding how to write applications in Objective-C. I would recommend spending an additional $97 (about £46) and register for the xcelme.com introduction to OOP course as it allows you to use the book as a study aid in addition to the online training videos. You also have to opportunity to directly ask the author questions and build your Objective-C knowledge further.

Overall an excellent book for the programming beginner.

2.0 out of 5 stars Book by people who can do but can't teach, 30 May 2013
This book is certainly for absolute beginners. I have programmed before but that was many years ago so I felt it was better to start from the beginning. Though for me the book started a little too simply.

The biggest problem I had with this book was how poorly written it is. You need to take into account that the authors are American and are incapable of explaining anything without resorting to an analogy. This is fine until the analogys contained in this volume start to make even simple ideas appear complex. This annoyance is further heightened when they introduce concepts and terms then quickly tell you they will explain them properly in a later chapter. This must happen at least three or four times every chapter, it is almost akin to a murder mystery novel with a cliffhanger on every page.

Ironically having a logical mind helps you be a better programmer but is a hindrance to reading this book. Saying all this, the book has helped me and the authors clearing know their subject.

4.0 out of 5 stars Accessible-even to non techies, 30 May 2012
Mr. A. D. Parnell (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I have seen many books on this subject but they all assume a prior level of knowledge and are therefore of little use if you have no previous background (like me). This book assumed absolutely no knowledge and is an interesting and informative introduction to writing your own apps. It's not designed to provide you with all the knowledge you'll ever need but is a good start. I found though that I had to press the mental 'I believe' button on some items until I was someway into the book eg pointers are used from the chapter 4, but not properly explained until chapter 13. It is these small areas that stop it otherwise gaining a 5 star recommend. I would suggest you read it twice- the first time to get an overall understanding then once again to fully assimilate the knowledge.

Objective-C for Absolute Beginners: iPhone, iPad and Mac Programming Made Easy