Pro Puppet (Expert's Voice in Open Source)
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£47.39+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 28 March 2013
I was really excited that James Turnbull was updating and expanding his original "Pulling Strings with Puppet".

However working through the many examples, I was quickly struck by how much of the syntax was riddled with typos and in some places simply wrong. Did anyone who was proof reading or acting as a technical reviewer actually try Mr. Turnbull's examples? I seriously doubt it!

What should have been a great book for getting you up and running with some great basic building blocks for your configuration management services while teaching you some cool new ways of doing things with Puppet, instead becomes a series of tiresome trawls through the errata, Server Fault forums, the puppet mailing list and bug tracker; as you try to work out why code you copied from the book fails to run.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 18 February 2013
Its a good book to get you going. But you will be disappointed if you hope to know puppet after reading the book. You can say I know a lot more about puppet. I think it gives you a good foundation of information so you can start looking on the internet for more. I guess as a dev. I was hoping to find more in terms of patterns best practices and organisation of files/ modules/ etc.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again