Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 October 2010
The book feels rushed... There are many mistakes; The example code in the book is sometimes wrong, so following the instructions will give you errors. You can of corse download the correct code from the web site but with added lines which are not explained. This adds to the confusion.

There are many typography and sentence errors too - though you can understand them and they do not effect the learning... but it ruins it for me a little.

I like this book... stick with it... read a bunch of chapters, then go back and read it again.

As an alternative check out "Learn C on the Mac" and "Learn Objective-C on the Mac" (both Apress). Though the journey may seem to take you longer, and it's a little more expensive...but you get such a better understanding of programming on the Mac. They were well written, light hearted guides to coding.
on 11 October 2010
There are so many missed opportunities in this book.

Agree with other reviewers it is a chaotic mess of chapters often out of sequence. I too could not find the NSMutableDictionary reference in Ch6 and it now appears in ch 8. Hexadecimal is just thrown in the middle of a chapter and not used again. Xcode is repeatedly explained for the beginner after being expected to use it without explanation in earlier chapters

The first half of the book is wasted on learning ALICE a simple program to learn OOP. I skipped over that. For a while I thought yes this is really readable and repeats key concepts but everything is confusingly out of place. Often chapters repeat entire concepts. Having 3 authors I think has caused all 3 to write independently and the editors have just thrown this all together.

I can see how this book could be rewritten and actually be very good.

For the complete beginner I recommend Learn C on the mac (a fantastic book) then one of the other obj C texts mentioned elsewhere.

If this was any other sort of commodity I would be asking for my money back.
on 9 October 2010
It started of okay, then seemed to repeat itself, then go back to the beginning and then descended into a disorganised mess.

There are numerous errors in the text, for example references to code examples are wrong. There are internal references to previous chapters that are wrong, e.g. on page 131, "if you can't remember the details of NSMutableDictionary from Chapter 6", when Chapter 6 didn't even mention NSMutableDictionary - poor proof reading.

Why can't the publishers give the book to someone to work through !!

Rushed out to meet a wave of demand for iPhone/iPad developers. Poorly done.
on 30 May 2011
Despite what the title suggests - this is not for absolute beginners. I have never before written applications using Objective-C but I do have a background in software development and testing and this was difficult to get through. There are many mistakes in the code examples in the book (I ended up correcting the examples in the book so as to avoid confusion) and there are even silly spelling mistakes. This book also does not really teach much about the structure, syntax and available options/commands within the Objective-C language. Avoid!
on 7 October 2010
This book has been really poorly put together, chapters all over the place. Its like the author has written the book with no structure in mind. Just wrote a load of chapters in random order then slapped them all together. You write a load of objective-c with x-code, then 5 chapters in it "writing your first program in x-code" followed by a chapter called, "The basics of programming in Objective-C. Its just all over the place. This book really frustrated me, jumping back and forward. The only good thing i will say about this book is the way it describes how to attack a programming problem on paper first etc.

I've bought a lot of books now on Objective-C, 5 infact, and the one that really nailed it for me is "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" by Stephen Kochan.

Don't waste your time and money with this book, Go for the Stephen Kochan book, I'm not a programmer but its the book I keep going back to and is really the book that has helped me the most.
on 28 January 2011
I wish I'd read the other reviews before buying this!
I have programming experience (lite) in C++ and I found this book impossible to use as a guide to learning objective C.
The problems are:
1) Jargon, jargon and more jargon.
2) Strangely, it is often over-simple and just patronising.
3) Like all bad computer books, it teaches you only how to do the examples in the book, and gives you no real understanding of the subject so it is impossible to strike out on your own.
Just don't waste your money. Any suggestions for alternative books would be welcomed!
on 27 December 2011
I want to learn Objective-C and why waste my time with Alice? Considerable number of chapters are dedicated to a government funded project called Alice, which authors assume would make readers understand the programming concepts much easier. This was a fundamental mistake of course. The second very important problem I repeatedly came across is typos and mistakes. For instance, chapter 14 page "Java and C++ have a feature called multiple inheritance". Java doesn't support multiple inheritance. Instead, Java language has a feature called Interfaces. Avoiding multiple inheritance was a crucial design decision for Java. I presume the Apress has an editorial process which should assure that such important mistakes doesn't happen, and plus I wonder what the technical reviewer was doing? I should also give credit to some of the highlights of technical brilliance which are lost in the unorganized jungle.