5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, But...
This book is really first rate. One of the best books on .Net I have read to date (and I've read quite a few...)

Published on 7 Oct 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much of everything, not enough of anything
I feel bad giving this three stars, given that all but one of the other reviewers gave it five, but I was really disappointed in this book.

Published on 10 Feb 2011 by Yossu

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, But..., 7 Oct 2010
This review is from: Pro C# 2010 and the .NET 4 Platform (Expert's Voice in .NET) (Paperback)

It does suffer from the same problem of many of the .Net 4.0 books though. There needs to be a separate companion book that serves as an upgrade in the series. So instead of just having a ~1600 page book that covers .Net 1.1,2.0,3.5 and 4.0. I would like to see a companion book that details only the changes between 3.5 and 4.0. Otherwise, if you have already read the 3.5 version of the book, then you're wasting time reading stuff you have read before, lugging around a much heavier book, and paying more for information you already know. Not to mention the trees!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much of everything, not enough of anything, 10 Feb 2011

First impression is that the book is a monster. Weighs a ton, and so presumably contains wads of information. Well, not really. It contains a lot of words, but to be honest, I didn't feel it went into depth on anything.

The book is split into sections:

1) The .NET framework. I found this rather dull. I'm a programmer, and am not really that interested in what goes own down in the depths of the framework. I don't mind a brief description, but this bit was too much for me, but not enough to be a thorough examination of the subject. I rarely, if ever, need to think about the framework itself. I write in C#, I use Visual Studio, and let the IDE handle compiling and linking for me.

2) Basic C#. Fine if you're new to C#, but I'm not, and I suspect most people reading this book won't be either. Oh, if you are new to C#, you probably won't follow much of this, as it doesn't teach C#. I was left wondering who this was aimed at.

3) Advanced C#. I'm obviously a better programmer than I thought, as I didn't find much of this very advanced at all. Interfaces and events are hardly advanced stuff. The one part that really interested me was the section on lambdas, which is something I really want to understand. That was too brief and shallow to be of much use, and didn't really cover much more than I knew from a brief look at sample code around the web.

4) Configuring .NET assemblies. Like the first section, I can't see why I would need to know this stuff. This is the sort of subject that very few people would want to know, and those that did would probably want more detail. I skim-read most of this section as I was bored.

5) The .NET classes. This went through various areas of the class library that comes with .NET, and was a mixture of stuff that's obvious of you've been using .NET for any length of time and a few extras. I did learn some stuff here, but not that much. To my dismay, it included a whopping 125 pages on ADO.NET, which puzzled me as I don't see many people using it on new projects nowadays. With the advent of the Entity Framework (which is covered, but not in much detail), who writes SQL any more? OK, so maybe some people do, but I see most new project development using EF, as it's way better.

6) WPF - This was actually pretty good. I had only had a cursory look at WPF before, and hadn't got the hang of it. This was a nice introduction, but to be honest, it would have been far better to have spent the money on Pro WPF in C# 2010 (Expert's Voice in .NET), which is slightly thinner (although not much), but is a first-rate book aimed at WPF.

7) ASP.NET. Again, not much new here. Maybe if you've never done it before it would be good, but if you've spent any time writing ASP.NET web sites, you won't find much here.

So, I was very disappointed with this book. I think I would have been much better off with the Pro WPF book and a book purely on C#. Most of this book would have been better of staying as trees for my part.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 July 2010
If you want an excellent book on c# and the .net platform then buy this book as it's a first class piece of work. My personal number one book on c#. Easy to understand and read. The only downside is the thickness of the book, if it was published in three volumes it would have been more manageable to hold. If you can get the hardback version all the better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book to learn C# and .NET, 5 July 2010
I've been really impressed by this book.
It covers several argument in a very clear way.
Personally I found very interesting the initial chapter where it depicts the history of Windows programming. I've been involved in this in the last 20 year and I found very interesting this picture.
I found only a drawback: while I'm a communter, the book is a little bit heavy to bring with me even if I have a backpack! :-)

Stefano Chiappa

5.0 out of 5 stars Become a C# expert, 23 Nov 2010
I have been dabbling with C# and web development for a year or so but got this book to really get to grips with C#. It is pitched at exactly the right level for me and feel I am really starting to understand C#. Good programming exercises make the code easy to understand and the explanations are well written. By the time I have worked my way through this book I believe I will have an in-depth knowledge of C# and .NET 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most awesome C# book, 5 July 2010
Simon Mattes - See all my reviews
I've read quite a few Apress books and I'm still impressed with the excellent quality of their PRO line.
This is the most awesome C# book you can find which covers almost EVERY aspect of the .NET 4 platforms and the C# language.
You'll learn about all the positive and negative facets of this technology and even if you're already experienced with C# or VB.net there's still a lot to learn from this book.

I personally don't think that the 1800 pages make this book too huge; there's a lot on information in it and for this price it's worth every penny.

My suggestion: If you really want to learn about C# and .NET 4.0 grab this book and forget about online tutorials; the author's way of teaching you all the different aspects makes you comprehend even the hardest topics without any problems.

2.0 out of 5 stars Painfully verbose and full of padding, 24 May 2012
S. Whatling (London, UK) - See all my reviews
The author's writing style may appeal to some (particularly those more at home with Americana) but personally I found it unbearably verbose and clumsy. The result reads rather like the product of a first year college student writing their first really long essay. A good editor could have cut the word count by 20% without any loss of content. Be prepared to spend a lot of time hitting the "Next page" button rapidly in a frantic search for the next relevant bit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners., 31 July 2011
I wanted to learn C# as my first programming langauge, I have done software development in college with Visual Basic, but that was very very basic, and Visual Basic didn't appeal to me (I enjoy coding, as I know some HTML and CSS). My friend had this book, and he let me borrow it, so I could see what it was like before I bought it, and I feel that I was too comlicated and too long for the information it gave (it took forever to explain one little thing, which inevitably caused the information to go straight from my head when I got up to the next little thing).

I am not going to say it is a terrible book, because it may not be for someone more advanced, but for me, a beginner, it is just too long and gives too much irrelevant information for a beginner to understand.

I have however found C# Yellow Book 2010 by Rob Miles, very good for absolute beginners, and as it is free, there is not much to complain about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for a Kindle, 1 Dec 2010
This is a big book and will take a lot of time to read and digest. A number of reviews speak of the sheer size of the 'wooden' edition. I agree, its not easy to carry around (especially with a 17" laptop). It works well on a Kindle and, given the quality of the book, you can justify the purchace of a kindle on this book alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best there is ! Buy this before any other book on C#, 28 Nov 2010
Mr. Gordon Norrie "The Bald Man" (East Lothian, UK) - See all my reviews
Having purchased a number of books on C# and .NET (from 2.0 to 4.0), this is, by far, the best book I've come across. I really can't emphasise enough how well-structured the book is and how clear and concise the explanations of concepts in programming are. Mr Troelsen really does deserve an awful lot of accolades for producing such an outstanding text.

Speaking as someone who comes from a VB background, Mr Troelsen has made learning this language far less arduous. Many thanks !

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Pro C# 2010 and the .NET 4 Platform (Expert's Voice in .NET)
Pro C# 2010 and the .NET 4 Platform (Expert's Voice in .NET) by Andrew Troelsen (Paperback - 23 Sep 2011)