5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy Book, Easy Read, 27 Mar 2010
This review is from: Beginning Ubuntu Linux (Paperback)
First tried Ubuntu 6.xx, then 8.04 and now 9.10 and find I use it now more than Windows. But I have to explain Ubuntu to my grand children and answer their questions when they use my computer so I need some technical appreciation. This is it. The book is about 43 mm thick but it is easy to read, lets just hope it sinks in!

I find it useful, it gives a detailed instruction for doing anything and sticks to the graphic user interface when it can but also gives the same attention to detail if a command line operation is needed.

I've made notes of the parts that I use but I am also going to read it from cover to cover again. I ought to contribute to Ubuntu and I hope this will give me the confidence to offer my services.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal beginner book to accompany an ideal UNIX OS for a novice., 22 Jan 2010
This review is from: Beginning Ubuntu Linux (Paperback)
I bought this book after taking the 3rd edition from my university library. It contains a good number of updates and alterations of certain chapters from the previous edition(s).

Personally I found the vast majority of it too beginner level - but this is in no way an issue, it just means that I might find more use in the intermediate level books as only chapters 4 and 7 were/are of use to me! And if you are indeed a beginner to Ubuntu (which as linux operating system is very ideal for beginners!) you will find this book of much use!

Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bye Bye Microsoft, 1 Jan 2010
This review is from: Beginning Ubuntu Linux (Paperback)
If you want to know how to use and get the best out of Ubuntu, then this is the book for you. It leads you by the hand through setup, file system, applications and tuning your system. Very easy to follow and understand. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book for the begginer, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: Beginning Ubuntu Linux (Paperback)
I found this book easy to use to get me started with Linux. I now have a Laptop running Linux and as this is very old I am amazed at how fast it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ubuntu linux, 7 Mar 2012
Mr. N. Falkiner "Reniklaf" (West Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beginning Ubuntu Linux (Paperback)
An excellent introduction to a system I have been going to try for some time now but coud not find a suitable book, (for beginners.) Although it deals with version 10.04 the principles are the same and I was able to tackle a more upto date book on version 11.10, thanks to this book.
Well done!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic stuff but great quality, 16 Sep 2010
N. Ryall - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beginning Ubuntu Linux (Paperback)
As previously mentioned, the content of most of this book won't get you even remotely near an expert level but nevertheless, I found this book to be an excellent introduction to Linux. It features a great history of Linux/Unix and a detailed introduction to the basic shell commands. The rest of the book mainly focuses on the GNOME desktop and how to use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and uncomplicated, 6 Sep 2010
Mr. R. S. Preisner "gimpnovice" (Blackpool UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beginning Ubuntu Linux (Paperback)
I am still reading this book, am about half way through. My first impressions are that it takes all the fear out of trying out this o.s. that I have never used before. I find it very easy to understand, and I like the fact that I can take out of it as much information as I need to get up and running and then refer back for any more information on a need to know basis

Beginning Ubuntu Linux
Beginning Ubuntu Linux by K; Channelle, A; Sicam, J Thomas (Paperback - 24 Aug 2009)