5.0 out of 5 stars Good intro to object orientated PHP
Read a couple of other books, did not really understand OOP and how to use it, this book sorted that out.

Good concepts chapter and several chapters working through practical examples.
Published on 22 Jan 2011 by A. Perry

2.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended for beginners trying to learn PHP OOP
Published 14 months ago by Ben Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended for beginners trying to learn PHP OOP, 21 April 2013
This review is from: PHP Object - Oriented Solutions (Paperback)
Over the past 8 months I have been teaching myself PHP and after deciding that I should start using an MVC framework I decided to purchase this book as a way of getting into OOP PHP. I am a recent computer science graduate so this was not the first time I had come into contact with OOP concepts. Unfortunately, I did not feel that this book did a good job of explaining the main concepts of OOP nor that the classes the author picked to be much help in explaining what is a difficult subject for newcomers to grasp.

The first 2 chapters cover all of the OOP theory and syntax used throughout the rest of the book. These chapters are very dense and move quickly with basic examples on each of the new concepts introduced. The author states that he does not expect the reader to understand everything in the chapters and that they should be used as a reference as they reader continues. I do not feel like this was a good decision by the author especially given that the following chapters throw you in at the deep end rather than slowly building complexity.

The following chapter has you building a Date class in which you are effectively wrapping existing PHP functionality in your own custom class. In so doing, the author spends a large portion of the chapter explaining the in-built DateTime and DateTimeZone classes in a great deal of complexity. Given that this chapter will for many be the first class that they create, all of this extra information only stands to muddy the already murky water. The author would have been much better off creating a basic class which did not involve introducing more complexity at an early stage.

The next 2 chapters are much the same, introducing us to the built in validation methods and the remote file connection functions. At least a third of each of these chapters is spent going through the minutia of the respective built in PHP functionality.

Chapters 6 and 7 are spent discussing XML and SPL iterators, whilst useful, these 2 chapters contain nowhere near enough OOP to warrant inclusion and are only covered as the final 2 chapters rely on them.

If you have stuck with it this far you are rewarded with what I believe to be the strongest chapters in the book. You are guided through building a class that outputs XML from a database and then extend upon class allowing you to create your own RSS feed. In doing the author covers implementing an interface, utilising different types of exceptions and extending a class. They succeed where the other chapters fail because they focuses only upon creating and testing the classes and not on introducing other PHP functionality.

I think these chapters highlights the authors main failings with this book, he should have concentrated on building complexity with classes that did not need any additional knowledge in order to make, gradually introducing OOP concepts as he went, rather than including them all in two very dense chapters at the start of the book.

In addition, I found the book to have a number of errors within the code, and the authors site, to which he refers throughout the book (friendsofed.com), is currently down, making the chapter on remote file connection particularly hard.

If you are looking for a gentle introduction to object orientated PHP this book is not for you. It got complex much too quickly and spent as much time explaining complex inbuilt PHP functionality than it spent on teaching you OOP. Unfortunately, I do not know of a book that does a better job but I'm sure there must be one out there, keep searching...

5.0 out of 5 stars Good intro to object orientated PHP, 22 Jan 2011
A. Perry - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP Object - Oriented Solutions (Paperback)

Good concepts chapter and several chapters working through practical examples.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got me started on OOPHP, 30 July 2012
This review is from: PHP Object - Oriented Solutions (Paperback)
I was looking for a book to get me started in the field of Object-Oriented PHP and this book did the job just fine.

Having been developing in PHP for a few years I needed to get to grips with the OO side of things and bought this book to help get me started.

I read it cover to cover and worked through the examples provided and was up and running and developing in OO PHP within no time at all.

Highly recommend to anyone looking to learn OO PHP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, accurate and easy to learn from, 10 Jan 2014
G. D. Kendall (UK) - See all my reviews
My own background is that I was confident in PHP and could do pretty much whatever I needed to. PHP O-O Solutions isn't a book for people who want to go direct to OOP programmming in PHP without learning the basics - but then no book ever will be. You'll need to know PHP and be practiced in it, or at the very least thoroughly capable in a similar language, before you can make good use of this book. That said, it is outstandingly clear and easy to learn from if you want to move from procedural to OOP. David Powers makes an effort to explain and consciously avoids using a particular analogy (often used by other authors), reasoning that PHP is about the web and so a direct explanation in terms of what you do when making a web app would be better. That works for me. The pace is good, explanations are clear, and it's a thorough guide to getting started that I'm enjoying working through. Just about the only possible criticism - which is really just a point to note - is that it isn't really a book of 'solutions', or at least it isn't as far as I've read. What this is is a first class tutorial course and how-to guide that you can learn from

3.0 out of 5 stars Covers a lot of useful ground, but it's not a smooth ride, 4 Oct 2013
POOS fulfilled the purpose for which I bought it, but I felt I needed to work a bit harder with it than with some of the other programming books I've read recently. The writing style is clear, but it jumps from good basic explanations into really quite complex ideas and examples without paving the way from one to the other.
If you can get through it though, you will end up with a well-rounded understanding of the subject matter as well as some useful programme modules which can be downloaded from the associated website (though note that the urls have changed from when the book was written).

5.0 out of 5 stars Really well presented, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: PHP Object - Oriented Solutions (Paperback)
David Powers writes in a very easy, understandable, way.
The book flows naturally, teaching little by little and ensuring a good grasp of the facts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful Book, 7 April 2013
This review is from: PHP Object - Oriented Solutions (Paperback)
Does everything I expected it to - useful to have to hand; easy to access tips. Recommended to those new to the subject

5.0 out of 5 stars php-oos!, 11 Mar 2013
C4NH4M (ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PHP Object - Oriented Solutions (Paperback)
This book, so far, has really helped me get to grips with the object oriented style of PHP. I am fairly new to the language but am studying both perceedural and oop versions. It's quick paced but not too intimidating :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: PHP Object - Oriented Solutions (Paperback)
A good book, hardly a gripping read but well laid out with clear explanations of each subject together with clear examples where required.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good eye opener, 20 April 2012
This review is from: PHP Object - Oriented Solutions (Paperback)
I've just finished reading this book 'cover to cover' and I can say it was one of the better 'learning PHP' books.

David Powers has a nice writing style which is clear, informative and engaging.

The book, alike most, introduces concepts by slowly walking you through examples stage by stage, so that you can make sense of it when you are presented with the 'full code' at the end of the chapter. Only problem here is that he says the full code is available online, at a certain address, which I couldn't find, so I typed up the examples myself to read through them, which I didn't mind really as I think that was more 'hands on' style learning.

Only little downside 'for me' is that I read this book hoping it would prime me to walk straight into learning a framework, however, after searching round, I've realized, 1) there are too many to choose from 2) there doesn't seem to be any 'quality' books on here that can 'easily' teach you about them 3) if honest, I've only been learning PHP (and programming for that matter) since January through avidly reading books bought on here, so I think I'm being a little too ambitious really.

Toodles.

PHP Object - Oriented Solutions
PHP Object - Oriented Solutions by David Powers (Paperback - 1 Aug 2008)
29.49