on 15 October 2013
This is a good textbook for students of Astronomy, but I think it's overpriced! The quality of the papers used for printing is not up to the expected standard, as they can be easily torn. The layout on each page (with photos and graphs) can also be confusing to the reader. I personally would also prefer slightly bigger font size. Considering the weight of this book, perhaps it's better to have it printed in 2 parts.
on 30 September 2013
Universe was purchased for my son's university studies as a recommended text. First impressions are that I would like to read it as well. I enjoyed reading short sections of the book. Our common criticism is that the soft back version is rather flimsy. It's a large, weighty book and I would recommend buying the hard back version if available. The CD-ROM was received and works.
on 26 September 2011
This book is the example as to how to teach a complex subject. Excellent with a range of tests ranging from the straight forward to the challenging at the end of each chapter. I thoroughly recommend it.
on 24 April 2012
Well worth the money, I use this book alongside my lecture notes for my Astronomy Degree and find it invaluable. I have tried to find a comparable text elsewhere and failed!
on 5 October 2013
I haven't started the lessons yet but the Contents sections are bizarre and confusing. And the pages and cover are the thinnest sheets I have ever seen by a long way!
on 18 August 2012
While the actual information provided in this book as very comprehensive and detailed I sent it back. I was very dissapopinted with the poor quality of the paper and cover which was nothing more than a free shop catalogue. Being 800 pages it is heavy and would get tatty with very little effort. I was also not keen on the actual graphic style. The text, fonts and colours were very confusing. So many different styles, sizes and colours on one page. The pages are very cluttered and difficult to read. That together with the poor paper makes the book hard to flick through and with so much information it would be hard to use. It's such a pity because the book contains such brilliant information. I hope the publishers will rethink the presentation. Perhaps a hard cover with better quality paper and maybe even a spiral bound book would be soooo much better. For the price and quality it only gets ** two stars for content.
on 10 November 2013
Clear and concise. Nice software on CD. Cover too thin to keep book in nice condition especially as pages are literally paper thin
on 4 September 2011
I have read the previous version and the last one too and I enjoy a lot; the People that approach this book do not need high mathematic to understand the Universe and appreciate the simplicity of it.
I have used for some distance learnig course at the LJMU University as was recomended and I can confirm was a right thing to do.
just the subject is so large that need a large book that every year must be revisited by the authors but is a self consistent book that open a Universe of curiosities and deep questions; it put us in quite with our life and design new borders and prospectives in the human life meaning.
I have present this book to a person that is enthusiast of the subject but has no strong preparation in science and I use it in my lesson of astronomy.
on 25 November 2012
The bible of astronomers, amateur and professional.I would strongly recommend. Clear and noticeable.A good offer for this Christmas. Always useful.
on 24 December 2015