on 1 April 2007
I first heard about Battle Royale when the film was banned from America following the spate of school shootings in the late '90s. When I saw the first volumes of the manga had been released -- and worked on by Keith Giffen, no less! -- I bought them out of curiosity.

They were at once the most disturbing, but also some of the most heart-wrenchingly beautiful, manga I ever found. The level of violence and the gruesome imagery only added poignancy to the deaths of characters you were only just beginning to know when they died. The speed at which characters you'd only just met disappeared forever gave the story the feel of a really good film, dragging you along at breakneck speed, unable to look away for even a second. (The long waits between volumes were harrowing, let me tell you!)

Shuuya, in particular, while fulfilling the perfect cliche of the pretty-boy-rebel-with-a-heart-of-gold, had my heartstrings from the get-go; I wanted so desperately for him to survive. Same for Shinji, and Shogo, and so many others... and the best, and worst, part was, *you really never knew if they would*.

This is 100% FOR ADULTS ONLY. I was suprised to find it sold in regular bookstores in the American Deep South, where I'm from. It's mature in tone but in imagery as well; this is the stuff of real nightmares. But for those who can see beyond the brutality, there's a lot of hope buried in there -- it's definitely worth a look. Highly recommended.
on 7 November 2006
I have not seen the movie version of Battle Royale , so this review is from a fan who hasn't been in contact of other versions of battle royale. ( neither movie or novel )

This title is very dark and explores the dark side of human nature, but the way the story unfolds makes it compelling to read. The way characters are handled is very nicely done too , there are many flashbacks that show what makes each character act the way they do.

Actually this title sort of handles character developement in the reverse way , in comparisson to other manga titles.
Uusually in many manga titles , the general trend is to build an ever expanding cast of characters , and let their personalities develope as the series goes by.
This title does things the exact opposite .... most of the characters you meet , end up dying shortly after you meet them ... so instead of a growing cast of characters , you end up with a shrinking cast of characters .... heh ....
And you usually learn more about alot of the characters through flashback after they die ..... so yeah it's refreshing to see character developement is presented in a sort of backwards fashion.

Unlike alot of manga titles , this series makes great variations in terms of character face design ...... although the typical anime/manga face standards .... still are on the most of the main characters .... it's great to see variation to this range! Alot of these characters are very interesting , although alot of them are freaks.

The art itself is both beautiful and sometimes groutesque ( The art is beautiful , but some of the scenes they're portraying are far from beautiful ! .. heh )!
This title is indeed full of gore as stated by many reviewers have most likley pointed out already. The deaths are both horrible especially many being handled in a realisitic manner.
Although you may be both shocked but might still appreciate the feelings expressed/invoked in these dark artworks.

Anyway another good thing about this title is that it's only 15 volumes long and all have already been released in english.
This title is very intriguing to read and i'm always in anticipation at cliff-hangers, wondering what lies in store in the volumes I have yet to read.
on 29 April 2006
This review refers to volume one of the Battle Royale manga series; a series which was released independently of the movie which came out in Japan some years ago.

When I first picked this manga up I had no idea of the impact it would have on me. Without a doubt this is one of, if not THE, most shocking manga series you will ever read. Firstly it has been given a MATURE rating- and for good reason - which means only over 18s can read this manga. So it is certainly NOT for children.

In comparison to the novel and the movie I can definitely say that this version of Battle Royale is by far my favourite. In saying that I suppose it is a matter of taste. The storyline is intense; a class of 15-year-olds are captured, isolated on an island and forced to kill each other in the sickest, most gruesome reality TV show run by the government in a socially and economically bankrupt dystopia.

In terms of art work this manga most certianly does not disappoint. In fact the art work improves as the series continues!

The storyline follows the class's fears, anxiety, friendships and betrayal, often delving into certain characters pasts which makes this version the most developed and detailed. However, this version does take some getting used to as it contains graphic images of violence and rape, sexual references, language, gore etc, which make it a manga most defintiely not for the faint hearted!

To conclude I'd say you either love it or you hate it.
on 12 February 2005
Having seen the film years ago I was intrigued to find a manga version of the story in a local bookshop. Also I'll admit slightly disappointed at the wrapping preventing me from having a look through it before purchasing.
However, having now read this volume and many of the subsequent ones I have to say that it is very deserving of the mature rating and the wrapping around it. Inside the book is many a scene of visceral horror and violence.
I have to say that without doubt though, this is the first volume of the best manga series I have read. The art is carefully drawn and the emotions on the character's faces are very realistic, as is the violence. Unlike the movie the manga goes into much more detail on every event, as the reader we gain a clear insight into each and every characters' motives and motivations. The story is extremely compelling and the main characters diverse and fun to read about.
The manga is not for the faint hearted (I'm sure you have read that in previous reviews, but it's true) and includes some grotesque close ups of injured/dead people.
I recommend this manga to anyone who is remotely interested in action manga or has ever seen the film and wished for more depth. In these books; you get it.
on 10 October 2006
When I say this manga is for adults only, I don't think you know how much I mean it. The violence in this managa series makes the movie version look like Mary Poppins, this is 18++. Though its ultra violent its a very good manga and one of the most interesting things for me is seeing who dies next & also how they die (don't worry I'm not addicted to death), but if you already know about battle royale you'll know what I mean. I have all 15 volumes of this manga series and also the battle royale movie and comparing the two I'd highly recommend this manga series, it goes so much deeper over the 15 volumes and shows so much more than the movie can and did. So let me state 1 more time, this manga is ULTRA/SUPER/MEGA violent , violence like this can ONLY be shown in THIS manga.
on 4 January 2006
If you have come across this, i expect you know the rough plot, so i won't bore you about how it goes. This was the first manga i bought, mainly because i am in LOVE with Battle Royale...its so ingenious, and i really like the manga in this. The drawings are SOOO detailed you feel almost guilty of bypassing them to need on about more intriguing things. However it's on the short side. I read it all in one car journey that took an hour...and if you know what happens, things can seem a little 'samey' however there are enough new differences, and back story to keep you amused. Do not be put off. I throghouly enjoyed this...and i cannot wait to read the others :D
on 5 October 2004
Battle Royale has been a major hit- as a movie, as a novel, and as its graphic novels. I'm not surprised that this manga has been such a big hit. It's the best manga I have ever read, and my favourite.

For those not familiar with the concept of Battle Royale, a class of pupils are randomly chosen to participate in the `Battle Royale Act'. This basically means they are put on an island, given food, water and weapons, and are told to kill each other. The idea behind this is that it will stop the teenagers who are out-of-control due to lack of discipline. The story follows each of the pupils as we find out who they are, why they have become like they are, and how they're reacting towards Battle Royale.

This is the first book in the collection, and it couldn't get off to a better start. Although this is pretty much the introduction, this is far from dull. Although the characters all play a part, the main character is Shuuya Nanahara, and most of the novel follows his story. We see his class taken for Battle Royale, and his best friend Yoshi shot in the face. The novel ends with a gruesome murder performed by Mitsuko Souma, one of the lead villains.

For a start, the story is fantastic. What could be more entertaining and gripping than pupils dumped on an island, killing each other? Unlike the film, these graphic novels go into a lot of detail about the character's past, and although this sometimes can be just a little boring, it makes the exciting bits twice as entertaining. It follows the story faithfully, and fans of the film will realise that the film isn't exact to the novel.

Next, is the drawing style. This is the best drawing style I have ever seen. A lot of manga or graphic novels have particular drawing styles, which either make the characters all look the same, or make it so that what's happening in each scene isn't very clear. This drawing style is easy to see- everything's clear, and all of the characters look totally different. The gore and blood is excellent- every little detail is there. This makes the book SO much more interesting to read because the pictures are so graphic and realistic.

So, lets get to why these novels have a rating of "18 Mature". In this first book, it shows a rotting corpse, a woman being raped, a boy being shot in the face, and a girl having her neck cut open. All of these images are detailed and realistic; and there's much worse to come in the later novels. With so much violence and sex, I honestly wouldn't recommend this book to anybody aged under 18.

I can't fault this novel at all. The pictures are clear, the drawing style is fantastic, the characters are lovable, the story is mind-blowing, and speech is amazing. This is definitely a series worth reading.
on 29 July 2004
This is the first volume of the Battle Royale manga adaptation of the novel - worked on by the original author, apparently to do things he felt he couldn't do in the original novel. Considering the novel was already pretty brutal, you might have to wonder how worse it could get. Well.. it gets pretty horrific.

The manga adaptation is a non-apologetically brutal retelling of Battle Royale. Expect plenty of murder and rape here. It can be pretty startling if you're not expecting it: but don't put it down thinking its mindless. All of it is ugly, and purposely so. Battle Royale is essentially a character study for most of the students; who buckles and how under the pressure? The crimes committed are merely extensions of the students persona's, with some purposely setting out to kill, others doing so reluctantly, and some flat out refusing. The main characters form a group hoping to escape the game: something that increasingly seems less possible as the timer runs.

The manga goes a lot deeper into characters backstories than the novel does, and there are some tweaks and changes. Seeing Shuya and Yoshi in the orphanage prior to the game and showing bits from their childhood provides some insight into their friendship, which is only slightly explored in the novel.

15-odd volumes follow this one, all of which are brilliant. The art style is great: dark and striking for the most part, but taking on a comical style for some of the more childish students. It's a striking mix at times, but one that works brilliantly in showing the difference between the more mature students.

It's definitely not a book for children, nor for those squeamish, but for those who can take the harsh reality of the world that Battle Royale exists in, it presents a brilliant story - even if you've already seen the film\read the novel.
on 25 April 2010
there are about 16 novels from what I remember reading a few years ago
and instead of some manga's where a few of those novels in-between will get you a tiny bit more through the story,and through the majority rabble on about irrelevant stuff, every book of this is used properly, significantly getting you through the story, I'd say it was because of the large amount of characters in it, and with each one would have a story and a climax whilst lacing it in with the other centre characters stories who are in the same situation, so neither does it keep spiralling off into different stories that have nothing to do with set one
the overall climax of the story is amazing too,very few books do I read where on the blurb it mentions the climax being great and actually turning out to be great. I remember the sheer excitement of buying each of these books (back when I didn't buy on the internet, so where quite hard to find in shops)
nearly every one leaves you with a climax and a cliffhanger so every time I went to buy one it was fun.
The artwork is amazing too,very detailed in every panel,it's sort of a cross between anime and realistic.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I wouldnt've read this book if I hadn't seen the movie, and I have got to say that everything the movie had, the book has loads more; more background info on characters; more gruesome deaths; a more psychotic teacher. The book itself is a lot more descriptive, and the way that the author (Koshun Takami) has written it, is what makes you keep reading on. The only bad thing about this book is the way it ends, because The author hooks you until the end, then you realize you need to buy the rest to find out what happens in the end. If you love this, then I highly recommend the movie