Wicked Appetite
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£7.70+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 19 December 2010
I have read other novels written by Janet Evanovich and I always find her style funny and entertaining but this book was a bit better than I was expecting. This is a simple story but well organized and the action starts off on the first chapter, without the usual long and tedious introduction chapters where characters tell how their parents met and fell in love. It has a lot of good ingredients to make this a charming book for christmas holidays. There is a crazy town full of magical or "unmentionables" and some "questionables" that confuse spells. We have gluttony in all of its possible forms and cupcakes galore. We have a main character that is funny and easy to like and two magical guys. I was not sold in the choice of names, because, come one, the guy is called Diesel and that was a bit too much for me, but he is funny, although too similar to a certain cop in the Stephanie Plum series (yes, I am looking at you Joe Morelli)
I do prefer this book to the S.Plum series, I think the author has achieved a better style here, it is fast, funny and keeps you interested in finding out what will happen next. But, beware, the book deals with the seven sins and guess what? This book is just the beginning, at least there should be six more coming in the near future.
on 20 September 2010
This is the first book I bought by Janet Evanovich. I have read the synopsis of some of her previous books, but never felt compelled to buy them.
However, reading the first few pages of 'Wicked Appetite', I realised that this was going to be a really fun(ny) and entertaining story and bought it.

I was not disappointed. A great and fun story, which made me laugh out loud in several places. Loved the characters of Lizzy and Diesel (I wouldn't mind a bodyguard like Diesel for myself), and adored the character of Gloria aka Glo (hope to see more of her as Lizzy's sidekick).

There were, however, two things I didn't like: One was the monkey: apart from giving the finger every 3 minutes, he didn't do much else. I found him irritating and he didn't add anything important to the story.
And secondly, I didn't care for the neverending cries of "Jeez Louise" which came from Lizzy, who is supposed to be 28 years old, and not 13.
Other than those two things, I really enjoyed the book.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 18 July 2013
Review:

It took me the longest time to finish reading this book. I pick it up and I'll put it down, and then pick it up again after some time. I finally managed to finish it though by cheating and listened to the audiobook format. I would say that the story telling quality is not that compelling. However the story building skills is good. The book has cohesive story structure with a beginning, a middle and an end with a central dilemma which is resolved in the ending even if it also gave teasers for the next book in the series. I like that in a story. Authors like that with a "solid story structure" in their book tends to reel me in as a lifetime fan. One of the reasons I picked this book up was that I had experience reading Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, and I knew that this author has a solid "story building" and humour in her books. So I was so very happy to find out that she has decided to write in my genre, urban fantasy!! The main protagonist though, is too stupid to live although it is kind of part of her character make-up. She's a cook, not a kick-ass ninja. Still it irritated me a little. However, this is book 1 in a series and in my experience, book ones are not always the most brilliant in the series. Besides, for a book 1, Wicked Appetite is a promising start for a new series. Looking forward to reading book 2!

Empirical Evaluation:
Story telling quality = 1.5
Character development = 3
Story itself = 4.5
Ending = 3.5
World building = 4
Cover art = 3.5
Pace = (Approximately 6 hrs and 13 mins listening time.)
Plot = 3
Narrator = 4

Overall Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Janet Evanovich is the well-known author of the Stephanie Plum series of books, and here she begins another series that edges firmly into the paranormal arena. Elizabeth Tucker lives in Marblehead, just north of Boston, and makes cupcakes for a living while living in the house bequeathed to her by Great Aunt Ophelia. Her life is perfectly pleasant but very ordinary when two men walk into it and proceed to turn it upside down. One is Wulf and he is a Bad Man. The other is Diesel, our Alpha Male, who explains to Liz that she is an Unmentionable and has to help him search out the SALIGIA stones (so named because of taking the first initials for the Latin names of the Seven Deadly Sins). Wulf is also looking for the stones and so Liz is caught in a race against time to discover their whereabouts.

I was really looking forward to Wicked Appetite when I first heard about it - I thought it sounded amusing and exciting. Disappointingly, the reverse is true. It is very often extremely unfunny and there was not a hint of excitement to be found within the pages.

I enjoyed a few things in the book - principle amongst them the description of Liz's cupcakes, mostly because it made me hungry to eat some of them. Another large benefit was the slightness of Wicked Appetite, which meant I didn't have to endure it for too long.

There was very little other than that to enjoy. The plot was preposterous; the manner in which it was explained to Liz was paper-thin; the characters were barely two dimensional, let alone three. I couldn't tell you anything about the motivations of Diesel, Liz, Glo, Wulf and any of the rest of the cast of characters. What's more, thanks to the frivolous manner of writing, I couldn't have cared either.

The "humour" was quite often tiresome, rather than funny - I use as an example the monkey Carl. Now, the first time he "gives someone the finger" I did find myself smiling at the idea, but on one page it happened no less than three times. At that point I just wanted to shake said monkey and throw Wicked Appetite across the room.

But I did persevere to the end, although it took all my patience: and I was not rewarded by the climax to this book. It was boring, there was no sense of tension or threat to any of the characters, and I realised (to my horror) that it left a set-up for more novels in this series.

Wicked Appetite can be equated to eating candy floss - seems like a good idea at the time, but leaves you unfulfilled and with a great sense of disappointment.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Wicked Appetite is the first book in the Lizzy and Diesel series by Janet Evanovich. Lizzy Tucker doesn't know that she is a human with special abilities, an Unmentionable, until Diesel turns up in her life. (Diesel first appears in each of the Between the Numbers [BTN] Stephanie Plum novels). Lizzy is a pastry chef with a special talent for cupcakes (Evanovich does love cupcakes!), and, apparently, also for detecting empowered objects. Diesel needs Lizzy to find certain Stones associated with the Seven Deadly Sins, for which his cousin, the evil Gerwulf Grimoire is also searching (Wulf first appears in Plum Spooky). It appears that Lizzy's bakery colleagues are more than Normal humans as well: Glo is an enthusiastic if incompetent spell-caster; Clara was an Unmentionable in years previous. Soon Lizzy's normal life in Marblehead MA (just near Salem) is somehow turned upside down: of the people who hold keys to the Gluttony Stone, one is hexed into gibberish, one's house is blown to smithereens and another's apartment is trashed; Lizzy has also acquired a one-eyed cat and Carl, that annoying monkey from the Plum BTN books. I was prepared to not like this very much as I was getting rather fed up with Stephanie, Lula and Carl in the BTN's, but this series has some fresh new characters and starts off well. The humour relies on Glo's ineptitude with spells, the effects of the Gluttony charms and, unfortunately, Carl's antics (again, I say, lose the monkey, Janet). There are explosions, abductions, flying booms, ferrets and olive oil, gnomes, padlocks, bunnies, many children and lots of food. Apparently there will be at least six more, covering the other deadly sins, Lust being covered in Wicked Business. Funny if a little slow.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Lizzie bakes cupcakes for Dazzle's Bakery in Salem. It is rather a quirky town which has never really got over the witch trials in the seventeenth century. As a result there are some very strange people who live there and some equally strange happenings. Lizzie suddenly finds herself the centre of attention for two very attractive men - one of whom is quite scary and leaves a burn mark on her hand by just touching her. The other one wants to protect her because she has hidden talents.

They are off on a search for some priceless relics which could unleash havoc on the world if they fall into the wrong hands. Put that together with a one-eyed cat called Cat, a monkey called Carl and a bakery assistant called Gloria - or Glo to her friends who doesn't quite understand the book of spells she's just bought and the reader is in for a roller coaster ride.

This isn't quite my usual sort of reading but I found it entertaining and well written and I loved the humour. The characters are marvellously quirky and there are plenty of scenes which involved cupcakes. If you want light entertainment with plenty of magical happenings and lots of marvellous one liners then this could be the book for you. I'm looking forward to reading the next one in the series.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is a very funny and entertaining read about Lizzy, who has inherited a house from her eccentric Great Aunt Opelia and is working in a bakery in Salem. Life is good and she is working on a cookbook she hopes to get published and enjoying baking up gorgeous cupcakes when a black car pulls up outside one morning. Suddenly, Lizzy's life changes forever with the arrival of the dark and sinister Wulf, followed shortly by the gorgeous Diesel. Both men are looking for something and, apparently, Lizzy is one of only two people who can help them find it. When Diesel insists only he can protect Lizzy from Wulf he moves in and suddenly Lizzy's life is becoming crazier by the minute.

Lizzy is a very funny heroine, accompanied by a whole host of characters who give some depth to the story. There is Glo, who causes havoc with her "Ripple's Book of Spells", a woman who can only speak gobbldygook, some victims of various forms of gluttony, a one eyed ninja cat and a monkey with an attitude problem. Great literature it isn't, but it's a fun read and would make ideal holiday reading.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've been reading (and reviewing) Evanovich since the first Stephanie Plum book. If you like this, by the way, you should definitely read the first Plum book, One for the Money. It's way better. If you liked this and wanted to know where Diesel and Carl come from, you should read the Stephanie Plum between the numbers books, which introduce both characters. Or you could just read this as a standalone, fun, frivolous read.

If you, like me, have been hugely disappointed in the last few Plum novels, but still like Evanovich as a writer, this will be a welcome relief. It introduces new characters and new plot lines and allows Evanovich to step out of the stalemate the Plum plotting has clearly become. Lizzie bakes cupcakes for a living. She has inherited a house from her aunt Ophelia just outside Salem, and is sucked into a supernatural adventure with the advent of two men in her life, the evil Wulf, and the naughty but nice Diesel.

Diesel introduces her to a quest to find seven stones that represent the Seven Deadly sins, which if brought together by the forces of evil will apparently unleash armageddon on the world. This first book in what is clearly intended to be a series, is about gluttony, just in case the title didn't give it away.

It is light, silly and amusing. It has the potential to be more. Let's see if Evanovich dares to break out of her previous predictability and develop the series into something dynamite instead of alright.
on 24 March 2011
The first in a new series by the creator of Stephanie Plum. In true Evanovich style, there are some weird and quirky people, and some crazy happenings. Unlike the Plum universe though, this is set in Salem and has a magical/mystical element to it. However, I'm not too sure about it - when my favourite character is a monkey it makes me wonder...............and even though I've finished it and laughed out loud in some places I'm still not 100% sure on the plot, where it was going and what they were doing......never a good thing in my opinion!
on 23 October 2011
As a great fan of the Janet Evanovich books (including the Stefanie Plum numbers and the in-betweens) as well as her other minor series, I was excited to see this book featuring Diesel. But what a disappointment! Clearly written just to churn out another novel that year for another buck according to the now successful formula. Unfortunately it read like a poor version of a Stephanie Plum with the names changed. Wicked Waste of our time and money Ms Evanovich!