5.0 out of 5 stars A must read
Andy Puddicombe, a former Buddhist monk, is recognized as the UK's foremost mindfulness meditation expert. He shares powerful excises, stories and techniques to help calm the chatter in the mind in "Get Some Headspace: How Mindfulness Can Change Your Life in Ten Minutes a Day."
Published on 30 April 2012 by Niki Collins-queen, Author

2.0 out of 5 stars IS IT JUST ME???
Published 8 months ago by Linda Darnell

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 30 April 2012
Niki Collins-queen, Author "author" (Forsyth, Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
He says meditation isn't about becoming a different person. It's about training in awareness, understanding how and why we think and feel the way we do and getting a healthy sense of perspective in the process.
He was drawn to meditation or "headspace" in his early 20s because he felt his mind was permanently switched on, going round and round like a washing machine. In addition to his 'busy head' he felt as though he was always drifting into unnecessary worry, frustration and sadness.
He says he prefers the word 'headspace' because it describes the underlying sense of peace and contentment no matter what emotion might be at play. He says mindfulness is the ability to be present, meditation is the best way to learn the skill and 'headspace' is the outcome.
The theme of "Get Some Headspace" is awareness and an understanding of ourselves and others. It's about developing a gentle curiosity: watching, noticing and observing what's happening in every aspect of our life. It's about finding a sense of ease with ourselves right now, choosing how we see life and how we communicate and relate with others, cultivating kindness, compassion and appreciation towards ourselves and others and developing greater dedication, balance, equanimity, acceptance, presence and composure.
Andy says there are three components of mindfulness training: understanding how to "approach" the technique, how to behave while "practicing" the technique and how to "integrate" that quality of mind into everyday life.
I found Andy's metaphors for the mind helpful. He says the underlying essence of our mind is like a clear blue sky. When the mind is busy with thoughts and feelings the sky is temporarily obscured by the "clouds." He says the blue sky is the headspace. It's always there. Meditation is not about keeping all the clouds at bay. It's more about setting up a deck chair and watching the clouds roll by. It's resting the mind. It's not trying, not doing, just being.
A second helpful image is the mind being like a wild stallion. We need to take it slowly, be gentle and give the horse all the space it needs until it comes to a natural space of rest. If the horse struggles, just loosen the rope again slightly and gently repeat the process.
A third image is a very still clear pool of water. If we throw a pebble in the water it creates a ripple on the surface and it takes awhile for the water to settle. The pool reflects the surface of our minds. If we throw many pebbles in the water it stirs up the bottom and it's impossible to see anything at all. There's no clarity.
If we experience physical discomfort during meditation another helpful exercise is to imagine it's the discomfort of a person we care about. It's an act of extraordinary generosity to sit with their discomfort so they don't have to.
Andy says meditating just ten minutes a day increases productivity, clarity and focus, reduces stress and anxiety, and helps with weight loss, improves sleep and personal relationships.
"Get Some Headspace" (building mind-fitness) also brings us the extraordinary science behind mindfulness meditation. The research shows there is increased blood flow and physical changes in the part of the brain brain that helps to control emotions and behavior. Studies show mindfulness training can be an effective treatment for addictions and eating disorders, enhance peak performance in stressful circumstances, halve the time it takes to get to sleep, improve cognitive skills and alertness, activate parts of the brain related to happiness and reduce the intensity of negative emotions, anxiety and the harmful effects of stress. Mindfulness lowers blood pressure and heart rate and increases oxygen consumption.
"Get Some Headspace" is a must read for beginners and seasoned mindfulness students. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on mindfulness and meditation EVER, 17 Jun 2011
RichardG (Nottingham UK) - See all my reviews
This is the best book on meditation and mindfulness ever written, BY FAR. It is easy to read, free from complex jargon and very engaging.The book is highly motivating, funny and interesting. Andy shares his own experiences of life including time spent as a monk. At no time did I feel that I needed to follow a religious path to benefit from meditation. Everyone can find ten minutes a day to follow this programme. Challenges in meditation are discussed and each challenge is reduced to a speck of dust rather than a mountain to climb. I love the way that Andy sets out the ten minute technique but then goes on to tell the reader how to apply the principles of mindfulness in every day life. This is the first book that I have read that accomplishes both with ease. This book can change your life or...... show you how to do that! Thanks Andy. ( I am off to take Ten) The first few times I tried the 10 minute meditation I found myself CONCENTRATING on my breathing rather than becoming aware. The technique asks that one becames aware of one's breathing and suggests that ones counts 1 on the first inbreath and 2 on the first outbreath etc. up to 10 and then back to one again. I was focusing far too much on the counting rather than a gentle awareness of the breathing. I hope that helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a fantastic read, 9 Jun 2011
The stories that Andy has written brought me tears of both laughter and sadness. Reading about Andy's transformation from uni student to buddhist monk was a very interesting journey to follow! The stories are really inspiring and certainly have helped me to be more mindful in life. I'm really getting a lot out of the techniques that are taught in the book - they are incredibly clear and concise...just what is needed in today's crazy lifestyle! I'll definitely read the book again - it's great to go back and refer to. Thanks Andy!

4.0 out of 5 stars get some headspace, 28 Dec 2011
I purchased this book after completing the online meditations (take 10 and take 15) to enhance my practice.
Andy's book interweaves personal stories with meditation techniques and tips.
Loved this and enjoyed enhancing my practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Meditation Kickstart, 1 Jun 2011
I had been thinking about meditation for quite some time but have been put off by some of the 'spiritual' books out there. I found this an excellent book to get started with. It helped to demystify what meditation actually is and from it, I have a practice which I can bring into my daily life. Excellent stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 minutes time out., 25 May 2011
I can heartily recommend this book by Andy Puddicombe for beginning a practice of meditation. Even the busiest business man, the overburdened mother, the constant commuter can find ten minutes to chill out. In a helpful, down to earth way he introduces us to this simple but profound practice - easing our racing minds and troubling incessant thoughts to an oasis of peaceful, restorative calm. A huge body of research now affirms the benefits of Meditation and Mindfulness - lowering of blood pressure, boosting the immune system, increasing clarity and creativity. In our stress filled, noisy world, with this practice we can create for ourselves, a tranquil stillness, whose benefits build up over time and continued practice. There's no 'mumbo jumbo' or strange postures, but a simple and straightforward method. Andy Puddicombe has distilled his years of meditation as a Buddhist Monk , into a readily accessible ten minute procedure, that anyone can do. I found it easier to do than previous attempts at meditation, and so am continuing with the practice. I feel calmer and more at peace despite a difficult current situation.
Try it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - if you are the busiest person in the world you can still get 10 minutes of meditation per day, 30 Jun 2013
C. Mead (uk) - See all my reviews
I got introduced to Headspace last October when I was flying to Las Vegas on Virgin Atlantic. They had recently updated their Gatwick fleet to have an on-demand entertainment system with lots of choice - and part of that was a meditation channel which was Andy talking about meditation with the cool animations you can see on their website.

I have been following via the android app the take 10 routine, then take 15 and 20 and am now on the "Discovery" series. I had in the past tried the Holosync meditation method which was an hour a day for the last 5 years but gave it up last year as my life just wasn't changing at all.

This book explains meditation very well and certainly dismisses a lot of the preconceptions about it. The stories that Andy tells about his own experience makes it very easy to relate to him - some had me laughing out loud. He comes across as very sincere and caring which makes me want to continue with my meditation to see where it might go.

If you are interested in meditation and want to learn from someone that has REALLY studied it for over a decade then this is the book to get.

2.0 out of 5 stars IS IT JUST ME???, 26 Oct 2013
I have now read this book cover to cover, with great difficulty, as I was so bored by it. It purports to be a book about teaching Mindfulness, but most of it is a straight forward autobiography. Which although interesting, is not what I thought I was buying. I have learned absolutely nothing from this book, and am cross with myself for going against my own judgement of giving up on a book of this type if it is not teaching me something. The book is over 200 pages long, but one has to get to page 90 before there is anything resembling instruction. Even then it is still really Andy Puddicombe relating his experience as a Monk..
There are so many positive reviews of this book, and that's why I bought it, but for me, there are better books out there.....

Since leaving this review, I have found an amazing book on Mindfulness here on Amazon. It's called "Full Catastrophe Living" how to cope with stress, pain and illness using mindfulness meditation, by Jon Kabat-Zin. A friend loaned me her copy, but I am so interested by it, that I wanted my own. It's a big book, but very easy to read, and in layman's language. AND the exercises are at the beginning!! I highly recommend it......

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful first step, 9 Jun 2011
For those already predisposed toward meditation this book offers a wealth of experience, insight and instruction into how to meditate, how it will benefit you and benefit others; it's all written in a style that is thoughtful, natural and flowing but clearly informed. For a beginner to meditation all the above is still true but what should draw people in is the clear structure of the book; it takes you through approach, practice and integration and shows the larger worth of meditating, without ever overhyping itself. It's just a lovely read. I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A whole new outlook, 4 Jun 2011
I have been meditating on and off for years - mostly off though. I've known meditation to me good for me - but the practice always seemed too difficult and the benefits elusive. get some Headspace has totally changed my outlook on meditation. I am actually enjoying meditating for the first time and am reaping the rewards! If you like the idea of meditation but don't enjoy practicing it - this book may change your perception as it did mine.

Get Some Headspace: How Mindfulness Can Change Your Life in Ten Minutes a Day