5.0 out of 5 stars Crime Caper
This has a dash of mellow with the return of Stephanie's school mate Mooner, who amazingly is one of three designated to protect the home and garden of Joe Morelli.
Published 23 days ago by Lorna Francis

Published on 10 July 2008 by Juliette

2.0 out of 5 stars Should have been called FOURTEEN GREEN as this was recycled from earlier books, 10 July 2008
The Plum series is a victim of its own success and I know it must be hard for an author to come up with something new whilst satisfying her readers with the zany situations and clever dialogue that have made Stephanie Plum so successful. That's why smart authors stop when they are on top, but Janet Evanovich has her whole family employed by Evanovich Inc, so I guess she has to keep churning out these books even if they aren't very good any more.

The editing in the latest Plum books is pitiful, and, while recycling might be good for the planet, with novels it should be restricted to the paper and not the plot and dialogue. Janet Evanovich is contracted through to Book No 16, so I hope 15 and 16 will be a substantial improvement on 14.

Fearless Fourteen is not a terrible book, but it is definitely no better than okay. There are some laughs, but it relies too much on old lines and situations which we've heard again and again. Everyone has become silly caricatures.

This book has a plot with totally ridiculous situations, but I'm used to that with the Plum series. I suspend belief and just go with the flow, enjoying Stephanie et al using clever devices and sheer luck to triumph, but it is very contrived this time. In 14 there's a bank robbery, missing millions, kidnapping, search for the millions by the ex-con and others, but the ending was very poor and I felt cheated. It was wrapped up in such a stupid way that if I hadn't borrowed the book from the library, I would have thrown it into the rubbish bin on the train in total disgust.

Stephanie is becoming more self centred, rude and much more difficult to like and Morellie was a total wuss which was so disappoiting.

Instead of reading Fearless Fourteen, try the Mojo Sheepshank books by Linda Lael Miller - Deadly Gamble and Deadly Deceptions. Both excellent books.

3.0 out of 5 stars B minus - must try harder, 17 April 2009
Fiona Howard (London, England) - See all my reviews
After the first twelve books (which I found varied between very good and excellent, culminating in the brilliant Twelve Sharp) I was disappointed by the formulaic Lean Mean Thirteen. In a triumph of optimism over experience, I decided that this must be a blip and was really looking forward to Fearless Fourteen. It breaks my heart to write this, but it was almost a pastiche - really just a Plum-by-numbers - ironic, eh? . Even the dialogue wasn't anywhere near the usual pithy, witty, spot-on writing I'd come to love. Having been so involved with the characters and their foibles in 1 through 12,and even to some extent in 13, I found that I was on the outside looking in and the protagonists somehow came over as shallow and not that credible. Instead of being black comedy crime novels, we have been fobbed off with chick-lit with merely a veneer of evil. Not that it's bad chick-lit but I have always felt that this series was so much more - well-written, wry, observant. The menace that was present in previous novels has disappeared - there is no Ramirez or Abruzzi or Scrogs here, although we must be thankful for small mercies in that there is no Kloughn either And what is Ranger's big dark secret or is the secret that he has no secret? Is there any Batcave proper? And as for the relationship with Ranger, the procrastination is just becoming silly. Stephanie needs to get it together with him big time. Perhaps it's also time she changed her job description slightly - a celebrity columnist picking up on some political scandal endangering body and soul for instance. I so hope that "15" is a return to form by Ms Evanovich and that she shows something of the Plum moral fibre in taking the time to write a really good threatening plot for Sixteen-to-One or whatever it's going to be called. I suspect, however, that Evanovich Inc. no longer needs to worry about readership and it shows. To address the problem people complain about in reviews regarding repetition of character explanation etc., wouldn't it be a good idea if there was a prologue setting the scene and characters which you could skip over if you are an afficionado?

2.0 out of 5 stars Getting old, 9 July 2009
Ian Thomson - See all my reviews
I used to really enjoy reading the Stephanie Plum novels. They were wacky and fun and a great way to escape from real life for a few hours. Unfortunately, they have become stale and Fearless Fourteen was a disappointment. The plot was the same as the previous novels. The action was the same and the jokes seemed somehow not as funny. I read it as quickly as the earlier novels but I think that was because the typeface was much larger, rather than because I couldn't put the book down. Maybe it is time for Stephanie to retire gracefully from Bonds Enforcement?

If you are a fan of the series then I am sure you will buy it anyway (as I did). But this was my last purchase in this series until I read some good reviews here to tell me that Stephanie is back on form again with a totally new story and back with rib-cracking humour.

1.0 out of 5 stars Neither comic nor thriller..., 12 Sep 2009
bloodsimple (nottingham, uk) - See all my reviews
I thought I'd give this book a try. Hmmm. It's always a bad sign when you read a `comic' book without laughing once. It's even worse when you can see where it was intended to be funny, and just wasn't. I believe the point of the books is to combine wit with a pacy storyline. Sadly, no sign of one of those, either. The whole thing stutters forward, in the same way that a drunk will often move forwards for a while. It has no direction, or drama, or real purpose.

It seems to be to be neither one thing nor the other. I see from other reviews that previous Stephanie Plum books were better. Maybe so, but that's a bit like being the smartest bloke in Westlife, isn't it? It's an achievement, but not much of one.

Sadly, I won't be trying another Evanovich. If you want a genuinely funny thriller, try Carl Hiaasen.

3.0 out of 5 stars don't fear fourteen, 20 Dec 2008
Mrs. Jane O'reilly (UK) - See all my reviews
I am a plum fan, having been given One for the Money by a friend of my mums when I was 17. I recently came back to the series and have read it again, and bought 14 as the latest installment. I did read the online reviews first and have to admit, the main reason I wanted to read this one was to see if it really was as bad as the reviews suggested. I've read it in one go today, and am relieved to say its not as bad as I feared. Actually, in a lot of ways, its quite good - silly, funny, uplifting, entertaining. Its certainly not in the same league as 4/5/6 or 12 and I would describe it as a filler, if I'm being totally honest. It lacks tension, and most importantly, its not sexy enough. It does have a strong Morelli leaning, which I am more than happy with, but there are at least two scenes where I feel Evanovich could have really gone to town but didn't and this is a little disappointing - there is a lot of Joe, but not enough Sexy Joe. No mention of the chocolate eyes. Or an exploding car, for that matter. I also think that Stephanies easy acceptance of Joe as a father was a mistake - raging jealousy would have been more in character and given Stephanie an opportunity to really consider her feelings towards him. I was glad of a move away from the stephanie/ranger/joe love triangle which was starting to annoy me a bit, Stephanie at one point tells Ranger the situation needs a rethink and he agrees - and I hope this is a sign from Evanovich that there is going to be a change to come.

Overall - if you read plum for a lightweight, easy, entertaining read, you'll enjoy it, but it isn't as good as the earlier books and there is no getting away from that. I am still looking forward to Plum Spooky and 15 next year though - bring it on!

1.0 out of 5 stars they say that number 13 is unlucky,from now on it is 14, 1 Aug 2009
L. Arnold (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
I wish I had read the other reviews before buying this awful book I would have saved myself some money. I have all up to 14 in the series and really enjoyed reading then, that is up to number 14 which should be called Flopping 14. I was on page 138 and was still waiting for the action to begin, sadly even at the end there was nothing remarkable at all- nothing. I want a refund! I will stop at this number and try to remember the good ones and block out this luke- warm attempt at writing. I do not even think J.E: wrote it herself, it is like a high school student's work.How did this pass the editors and get published?

2.0 out of 5 stars I volunteer to take care of Rex, 25 July 2008
Joseph Haschka (Glendale, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fearless Fourteen (Paperback)
When I was young(er) and foolish, I wouldn't even consider buying a used book. Now that I'm acquiring the wisdom of age and the price of food and gas is escalating, virtually all the books I purchase are second-hand. And FEARLESS FOURTEEN is the poster example of why not to waste good money on a pristine, new copy.

Reading any newest release in the Stephanie Plum series is like eating at the Golden Arches; you always know what you're going to get. But even McDonald's has been known to make radical changes (like offering politically correct healthful salads - to my mind, Yuk!, but that's just me). Author Janet Evanovich apparently doesn't know the meaning of the word "constructive change" and, in the case of this installment, has even lost the concept of "quality". Granted, she must be under enormous pressure from her publisher to keep churning out the Plum adventures, but it could be argued that she just slopped this one out any old way to meet a deadline. It may be time for JE to move on. I know that I am; WHATEVER FIFTEEN won't make it onto my Wish List, new or used, for any price. Free, maybe.

Here, we have the usual regulars of Stephanie, Ranger, Morelli, Lula and Grandma Mazur supplemented by the this-show-only guest cast of eccentric characters. But it didn't really hit me how absurdly silly this recipe has gotten until Zook and Mooner began blasting people with their home-made potato cannon. Moreover, the ending was absolutely flat. And, as has been mentioned by at least one other reviewer, where did the two amputated toes come from?

Plum's career as an accident-prone nabber of bail skippers and her dysfunctional love life only have appeal against a contrasting backdrop of relative normality, even if it's Trenton, NJ normality. But when the context and supporting props of her adventure become as ridiculously slapstick as Stephanie herself, she gets lost in it.

At one point in FEARLESS FOURTEEN, Stephanie asks Morelli to promise to take care of Rex, her pet hamster, should anything happen to her. Oh, please, put a merciful end to Plum now and I'll volunteer to take care of Rex forever.

3.0 out of 5 stars same old, same old, 3 Nov 2008
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
If you like Janet Evanovich as a writer and enjoy the Stephanie Plum stories then you're not going to go far wrong here. The trouble comes if you're looking for the storyline to develop or anything to happen that hasn't already happened.

Yes, they are amusing and the characters are still well written, but there is no forward impetus in these books. In the fourteen adventures Stephanie has had to date she has made no real progress as a character and is increasingly becoming a cariacature, which is a shame, because Evanovich is capable of much better than this.

This is a by rote adventure and yes I do still have affection for these characters, and yes it still makes me chuckle, but that's all. I feel sad about this because I used to wait for the next book to be released with something approaching religious mania and now I am happy to wait and pick it up at the library or wait until it comes out in paperback.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crime Caper, 3 Dec 2014
Morelli's  home is a hive of activity with Zook, houseguest and suspected son of Joes whose mother Loretta, has among other things been  kidnapped.  The basement is frequented by unwanted visitors as roomers  circulate that a possible 9 million dollars from a bank robbery is in the house that he  inherited from his Aunt Rosa.  Ultimately Stephanie  finds a dead body in the basement making Morelli's home a crime sene.  The madness heightens with strangers and grandma Mazur taking to digging  in the garden, hopping to find the hidden heist.  Television crews are setting up with the return of Brenda, now news reporter, at the helm.  Unknown to Morelli's  his garage is currently home to Brenda's cousin and non threatening sticker Gary who has his camper van snugly parked inside.
 Linked with this is  Loretta's brother who has recently been released from a lengthy prison stretch for his part in the bank robbery .
Stephanie whilst also staying with Morelli's  is trying to find Loretta who is being held by the inside man on the bank robbery who kept his identity hidden.
Body parts are being delivered,
Basement concrete flooring is being demolished,
Bedlam reigns in this brilliant addition to the Stephanie Plum series.

1.0 out of 5 stars cashing in on a once brilliant series!, 7 July 2008
Janet must be laughing all the way to the bank! She should be ashamed of herself. She has taken what was a fantastic series and blemished it with this pathetic tale. No real plot, a parody of itself: there is nothing good about this book. I thought the 'in-between the numbers' books were the most pathetic, clearly I was wrong. This book is terrible. I will not be purchasing anymore of her books. Its up to Charlaine Harris to keep series writing going!

Fearless Fourteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel (Stephanie Plum Novels)