5.0 out of 5 stars A triumphant finale to the series, despite a few missteps
The Wheel of Time is finished. That's a statement that's going to take a while to get used to. The first volume of the series, The Eye of the World, was published in January 1990. George Bush Snr. and Margaret Thatcher were still in power and the Cold War was still ongoing. Fourteen books, four million words, eleven thousand pages and over fifty million sales (in North...
Published 22 months ago by A. Whitehead

1.0 out of 5 stars Bah! Meh.. Where was the Sanderson Who Wrote "The Way of Kings"
I am still reeling from disappointment. I thought Brandon Sanderson did a great job on "The Gathering Storm" and "Towers of Midnight" but "A Memory of Light" has left me so disappointed, I don't know how to get it out of my head except to write this dumbo review. Basically, the story didn't have cohesion - there was way too much superfluous stuff...
Published 3 months ago by Judge Tabor

‹ Previous | 1 2 350 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A splendid conclusion to the brilliant Wheel of Time series, 1 Aug 2014
A splendid conclusion to the brilliant Wheel of Time series, ably finished by Brandon Sanderson after the unfortunate death of its creator, Robert Jordan. The complexities of the ongoing plot, stretching back over thousands of exciting pages, here find an enthralling and nail-biting climax that carries the reader to an end that is as satisfying as it is unexpected. This is not the book to start the series - but anyone who has read into the Wheel of Time will find this a fitting end to the story of Rand al'Thor, his companions and all those, friend and foe, whom he met on the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy ending, 13 Jan 2013
M. Cron (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is for both this book and for this series.

I can think of no other book or series of books that has left such an impression on me as the WOT series, from the moment I read EOTW about 15 years ago, I have been hooked, and despite some floundering in the middle of the series, as a body of work and imagination I believe it is without equal in the world of fantasy. It borrows themes and mythology from other series, other cultures and from our own history and melds them all into a world that I truly felt I could visualise and understand.

This final novel is pretty much everything it needed to be; a gigantic battle and a bringing together of all the myriad plots that have been building up over the last 13 books. Some of the endings feel a bit sudden given the time devoted to developing them throughout the series, but that is to be expected in a final novel. I was constantly surprised and saddened by the deaths in this book, particularly of primary characters that I would never have guessed wouldn't have made it to the end. However I felt that it was done well, and each of them made a lasting impression on me; some of the most heart wrenching deaths were of relatively small characters that we have known since the start.

Personally I would have liked a bit more time devoted to the epilogue, It's obvious that RJ wanted us to fill in the ending with our own imaginations, but it would have been nice to have been rewarded with some scenes from the amazing Fourth Age that comes about.

As mentioned in some of the other reviews, there is the odd moment where BS inserts a modern day phrase or word that jars with the rest of the book, but it is very easy to forgive this when you consider the herculean task the poor man had to take on. I think that he has done a superb job of bringing the series to a close and to all those who criticise I would ask you to consider how you would have felt had no-one wished to brave the storm and write an ending, and the story had forever been left unfinished...

A triumphant conclusion and a truly remarkable series.

Thank you Mr Jordan and thank you Mr Sanderson, the WOT has been a huge presence in my life, and I can barely express the sense of wonder and profound enjoyment that I have experienced through reading your story. I think that the tone of the reviews (ignoring the 1-star idiots with e-book rage) are testament to the affection with which both authors are held in the hearts of their fans.

Goodbye Rand, I'll miss you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting end, 12 Jan 2013
A fitting end to a great series. For me it has just the right mix of answers, epic battles, unexpected twists and a few lingering mysteries, just enough to make you think about them after the dust has settled.

Ultimately it feels right. It feels like the sort of book I expected the Wheel of Time to end on. I think if Robert Jordan had lived to write the final books (or book, depending on how he would have split the books between 12 and 14) then it would have turned out much this has. The essence of it would have been much the same, and I think Brandon Sanderson has done a great job in that regard, and I would like to thank both Brandon and Harriet (Robert Jordan's wife and editor) for finishing the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome - Truly, 11 Jan 2013
I just finished the WHEEL OF TIME! Epic is not the word.
WOW.
I feel drained both mentally and emotionally, as though I fought The Last Battle alongside. And in a way, I did.
Thank you, Jordan. You are a large part of the reason I want to write. Without you I believe the world would be a smaller place. Thank you Sanderson for the love and dedication you put into finishing Jordan's work, ensuring this huge ending to the story I love felt satisfying in its conclusion. It has left me feeling the world lives. The Wheel turns.
I am in awe of both of you and everyone who's had a hand in this.
Sincerely,
John.

5.0 out of 5 stars A epic finish to an epic series, 11 Jan 2013
All those books of world and character building pay off in an intense action paced monster of a book. Jordan's creation of an in-depth world really pays off when you have battlefields this large.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best for last!, 11 Jan 2013
In 'A Memory Of Light', Brandon Sanderson brings the legacy of Robert Jordan's epic tale to it's powerful and satisfying conclusion. The future of the world balances upon the edge of a blade as vivid and terrifying battles rage across a landscape painted in the imagination with astounding clarity. As the forces of the light struggle for survival the story line draws the reader ever deeper into the tale as the threads converge on the conclusion of the series. A brilliant book with great pace and depth, well worth the wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant End, 9 Jan 2013
Joe (Winchester) - See all my reviews
A great end to one the greatest stories ever written in my opinion. I cried when i finished the book because although i was pleased that i finally got to read the end, it was as if i was loosing a dear friend. That friend died well. I pay my respects to RJ and thank BS for finishing the story and not leaving us fans hanging. You both did brilliant jobs and i will forever remain thankful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once again......THE BEST, 30 Aug 2014
Clarets Fan (Lancs, England) - See all my reviews
I don't often re-read a series of books, after all you have read once what's the point? But with this!!!!!!!!!! The Wheel of Time series is without doubt the absolute best, biggest, most fantastic, incredible journey I have ever taken. In my own opinion, it is even better than The Lord of the Rings. Such a shame that Mr Jordan could not see the end, but he would have been proud how Brandon Sanderson has finished his masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tai,shar Robert Jordan, 10 Jan 2013
The end of an era - twenty years of my life have just concluded. (What was I doing when I first picked up a tatty paperback from a second hand bookseller all those years ago?)

The Wheel of Time has been a series of epic proportions and this final book has finished it in style. It is lengthy but I don't see how it could have been made any less without 'short changing' the entire structure of the story. Tai,shar indeed.

My thanks to Brandon Sanderson and to Harriet Jordan for not stopping The Wheel in its tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic final chapter, 3 Sep 2014
A well rounded and deserving finish to a story that has journeyed alongside much my life (if you include pre-release re-reads). The journey finally coming to an end in a satisfying manner that felt true to the characters and the story as it was. One day I hope my son takes on this masterpiece, literary work of art.

‹ Previous | 1 2 350 | Next ›

A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time)
A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time) by Brandon Sanderson (Audio CD - 8 Jan 2013)