Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 17 March 2013
An excellent introductory book into the world of Greek Myths. Cleverly split into sections by character, yet also one easy to follow continuing story. Well suited for young learners but perhaps lacking for those seeking more depth and detail.
on 12 August 2014
I chose this book over others of the same ilk because of the awesome artwork, but having read it the writing is interspersed with some real gems of sarcastic humour. Very informative without being too heavy - a fantastic introduction into the world of Greek mythology. And the artwork is just stunning! A really beautiful book. Hats off to National Geographic!
on 20 May 2014
My 10 year old daughter adores this book. It is beautifully illustrated and the stories are well told. In my opinion it's a great introduction to greek mythology, In fact, I am going to gave to read it myself as my daughter knows more than I do!
on 9 July 2013
Very very nicely illustrated book with in depth stories on all gods, goddesses and heroes. Would definitely recommend this this. A great read!
on 5 December 2013
I was disappointed after receiving this book, not with the overall look and quality of the artwork involved but with the unfortunate fact that it is American English and uses terms like "gotten" and "snuck" and has tried to simplify or modernise the stories. An example of this this is where Perseus slays the Kraken but this book changes it to a Whale and this is then changed to a Sea Serpent which is puny when compared to what was one of the "Titans" of mythology.
11 comment18 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 January 2013
This book was just what I needed to immerse myself in the Greek Myths. As a storyteller I found it very useful to take these stories and weave them my own way - they are very descriptive and full of images. The stories flow well from one to the next..
on 21 May 2013
Lovely book, great images and descriptions easy to follow. Plenty of reading material and the kids will love each tale. Even for adults its a cracking book.
on 22 January 2016
Poorly written, lacking in depth or content. This book was bought for a bright 10 year old boy, who has quickly put it aside. We bought this for him, wanting a comprehensive but readable encyclopaedia of Greek Mythology.
However 2/3rds of the content is taken up with overly flowery pictures and the rest is badly written Americanised text. Using the index to look up figures such as Prometheus, to find out his significance brings only a one line passing mention.

The book isn't comprehensive, well written or logically indexed. It may be suitable for younger children wanting more pictures and less depth but not for older children.
on 24 May 2014
The best part of this book is the artwork. The information is basic and in places the information is wrong.
on 2 February 2012
This is such a wonderful book. It is a great introduction of the greek mythology for anyone to read, every chapter is written so that in it's beginning you get a quick summary of the background for the avents described in the chapter or background of the persons in it. This is great if you should want to pick up the book later on to refresh memory. It is fine to read throug the whole book, these summeries did not desturb that pleasure. Greek mythology is not new to me and this book gave me a welcome refreshing reconnecting to my love for it. The absolute beauty of the way it is written is that it makes you want to know more, makes you curious even about things that you know will not be explained any better in real matter. I doubt there is a finer way to introduce myths and legends. And the images are just incredible, they also provoke imagination and curiosity. I bought two copies, one for my doughter and one for a loved one. I think it went well high, wayhigh over my expectation. Sorry my english does not give me opertunity to say all that I should to prais is. Thank you. Also the books arrived quick as lightning.
0Comment29 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse