5.0 out of 5 stars Could not be better
Published on 28 Nov. 2010 by Dinky

3.0 out of 5 stars How much do you need to know (and when)?
Plus sides: This product covers a very broad range of topics and scenarios for the uninitiated.

Published on 2 Jan. 2013 by Edge Beveller

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not be better, 28 Nov. 2010
This review is from: When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need to Survive When Disaster Strikes (Paperback)
I loved this book not only was it a good read, it was also informative interesting and a great way of thinking. This book although is primeraly perparing you for disaster and what to do in event of it, has undertones of a more free thinking self reliant individuals and thats the way i roll. This book is far from tin hat end of the world and more of a thought provoking positive attitude CAN DO book.

I would strongly advise a read of this book on a cold winters day and just see where it takes you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Preppers delight, 9 Jun. 2013
Ok so this is not a book that is going to teach you how to track and hunt a meal, it's not going to teach you how to build a log cabin, nor dig a snow trench shelter because Cody Lundin presumes you have not just crashed into some sub tropical jungle nor are you sharing a plane with some rugby playing pals flying over the Andes. This is a book for normal people going about there normal lives who do not want to follow the James Wesley Rawles way of thinking that the government is out to get you (they are, but thats another review)

The first few chapters I still haven't been able to bring myself to read despite having re-read this book several times, they are far too hippyish for me. Not that they don't have anything to offer it's just that I have spent 18 years in Martial Arts and my self dependency differs somewhat from Lundin's. You will indeed require some mental skills in any disaster and although I have never been in such a situation I have tested my own metal by doing door work, self sleep deprivation and living off the land for two days with no supplies (yeah what a hero I am) I therefore found some long haired hippy telling me about the need to take responsibilty for my life, consensus decision making and self reliance was too much to stomach. This however is a recognition of my own predjudice rather than a reflection upon someone who has done far more than me and bears no reflection upon the book itself. If you have never been in a real situation be it violent or survival then the information about how stress affects you and your motor skills is a real opener for some and I have even used the said info in my own classes about complex surival/defence techniques.

The next few chapters about shelter, water and food are pretty much amazingly detailed, ok he does go off the rails a few times and there are alot of friendly cartoonish characters which I didn't feel the need for, but who cares it's the info content we are looking at here. I have read some books that make me want to curl up in a bunker and never come out again, Lundins light hearted approach makes a scary subject easy to digest. As for another reviewer who talks about sand/charcoal filters, I'm in the same vein as Lundin, yeah it might be a last resort in a end of world scenario, but Lundin is prepping you for maybe three weeks of disaster before the government gets its ass in gear (think Katrina) I'd rather rely on my expensive water filter that sits in the loft unused, than some old pair of jeans filled with sand, think of those people sat on their roofs in new orleans, where were they getting sand and charcoal from?

For shelter, yeah ok Lundin did a Rawles on us and built his own house, not for defense, but making the most of solar radiation (hippies and their Feng Shui again) but he gives great advice on keeping your house warm in the event of power being off for a period of time (gas reliant UK take note, we are only a few years away from power restrictions due to our lack of planning) I've definately taken a look at my own shelter/temperature related issues and although as yet have to get off my backside and do something about it, I'm now aware and informed.

The food subject also gives infomed preppers some usefuls insights, and although I will not be eating rats anytime soon it makes you realise how much food you have in your house, or if you have already stored it how much of it rice/pasta requires cooking when you don't have the power/water to waste. For those of you laughing about your MRE's, I for one don't have hundreds of pounds to spend on them, unless they are self heating you are in the same boat as others and unlike you Lundin has opened MRE's after several years of storage to find some of them have gone rancid. Go check.

The rest of the book has stuff about hygiene, medical, fuel supplies, lighting much more and all of it on a level that doesn't require you to go out and spend a fortune living like a nutter in a cabin in the woods. In fact the chapter on self defence is one of the best I have read in all my years of Martial Arts it's a little extreme for some, but thats the reality of it.

Ok so Cody Lundin is a weirdy, he is probably out there humming some native American mantra as we speak thanking the Earth spirit for his meagre ration of desert rat. That being said, he is extremely well informed has lived on the streets and has done the stuff that most other survival guides only talk about, it's no SAS survival handbook, but after reading this you might go out and buy that next. As a prepper this is one of the best books that I have in my collection on survivalism.

4.0 out of 5 stars Important stuff you need to know, 25 Oct. 2008
Frugal Dougal (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
I've always been concerned over how to survive in times of disrupted energy, food or water supplies. This book provides excellent advice in preparing for, and managing, survival when 'all hell breaks loose'. This is not a survival book in the bushcraft style, but it offers sensible and practical advice for your survival in times of power failure or scarcity of food and water.
A brilliant book.

4.0 out of 5 stars practical and informative, 17 Nov. 2009
D&D - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Of half a dozen books on survival issues, this is my favourite, so far. It's all about how to survive at home, by someone who is a survival instructor, who lived on the streets for a while and who has practiced everything he preaches - for years.

Of some of the others I bought, The Self-Sufficiency Handbook is mainly for the UK and has excellent basic (but not too basic) suggestions that I found most useful, with sections on recycling, going off-mains including generating your own power, organic gardening, animal husbandry, brewing, and preserving produce.

Disaster Survival is compact and covers a very wide range of disasters but is boring. The First Aid Manual covered a wide range of accidents and had lots of pictures, which was good. Organize for Disaster was somewhat over-basic and US-centric but might be worth getting out of the library for a look (if they stock it). Life After Doomsday was so extreme I had to have some soothing rice-pudding while reading it, but if you have any reason to suspect long-term survival problems and looters/attackers, it is amazingly logical, sensible and practical.

This book and the Life After Doomsday book were the least boring to read and therefore their advice is most likely to be remembered, and hence useful, in case of need. However, both require weeks of expenditure and preparation.

3.0 out of 5 stars How much do you need to know (and when)?, 2 Jan. 2013

Down side: I think if you have much existing knowledge of preparedness then the book will not add much to the sum of your knowledge. There are much better and more detailed web site articles on (for example) slow sand filter DIY water purification published by aid charities and free to download. If you are carefully pre-planning (and this book suggests, quite rightly that is what you should do) then a careful search of the net and books on specific topics (water, food storage, first aid etc) is likely to be more fruitful.

If you have no training or background in these sorts of topics then the book is a good starting point. I thought it expensive for the content and the promises made in the blurb but it very much depends on what your starting position is and why and how you need to acquire knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars practical and funny (as funny as it can be), 21 Jan. 2011
Not a Ray Mears type book,but full of positive practical tips for when all hell breaks loose.

This guy practices what he preaches and the bits on the pyschological effects of such traumatic
events made for sober reading.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well, I never knew that!, 22 Mar. 2012
J. C. Day (U.K.) - See all my reviews
I'm not really expecting an 'end of the world' disaster here in N.Wales but I like to be prepared and previous reviews sounded good. I found it very readable, sometimes funny, extremely comprehensive and full of information that was new to me, even though I spent 12 years running a self-sufficient smallholding. He seems to have done his research pretty well and gives technical reasons for everything which I love as I am one of those annoying people who always want to know why and never take anyone's word for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best survival book there is, 26 Nov. 2010
This book is one of the best survival books there is. It's funny and memorable and doesn't just talk about what equipment you need etc, but goes into great detail about the mind set you need to survive. This book should be required reading for everyone going into the 21st century and facing the unknowable threats of climate change, peak oil, resource depletion and economic depression. For a book with this title it's possibly one of the most uplifting books i have read. Brilliant Stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best on the market!, 6 Mar. 2012
John Cronin (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I read this book over a a long weekend last year and I'm only now doing the review. The book, Cody, is "mutt's nuts"! Its the best overall survivial on the market at present. He's been there and bought,woren and made his own T-shirts! He is to survivial what Chuck Norris is to action movies!
The book is so funny! I have found myself laughing out loud to many great comments in the book. Cody is not a fan of people who are "thick stupid" to say the least! I can't blame him. From the openning to the end, its a great witty read. The cartoons support the comments well. Its the first and only book that I have read so far that covers the topic of dead bodies!
Overall, its the best book in any genre that I have ever read! Buy all his books! You'll be glad you did!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book., 14 Nov. 2011
I found this book highly informative. What is basically a very worrying subject is treated with insight and humour and I definately got a lot out of it. Hopefully I and my family will never have to put into practise what I have learned from it, but if the worst happened, we would stand a much better chance of dealing with disaster.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›