5.0 out of 5 stars Logical approach, great value
Published on 13 Sept. 2009 by Maturemusiclover

3.0 out of 5 stars Impressed BUT slight terminology problem
Having recently purchased the full set as we have two children learning at different stages it was cheaper.

The CDs are fantastic support for practice at home after lessons.

Published on 11 July 2012 by Phil

5.0 out of 5 stars Logical approach, great value, 13 Sept. 2009
This review is from: John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course - Complete (Paperback)
In my opinion, this series of books would be excellent for anyone wishing to learn to play the piano, whatever their age. The author gradually introduces all the basics step by step, such as one new note in each piece, notes of various lengths, simple chords, rests and so on. This approach may seem painstakingly slow, but as a complete beginner I found it worked well for me. I did have an excellent piano teacher which makes a difference, but I think the structure of the books would be suited to any competent tutor, even a parent. The accompaniments for many of the pieces make playing them more enjoyable ( so a teacher is useful ), but I suppose you could use the books to teach yourself, using the excellent CDs to hear how the music should be played.
The style of the books including the colourful cartoon characters, is aimed at children, but if you can ignore that aspect, I would strongly recommend them ( I am 56 years of age )....the pieces do get more interesting and fulfilling as the books progress.
Very good value in my opinion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Impressed BUT slight terminology problem, 11 July 2012

The CDs are fantastic support for practice at home after lessons.

But our son came home rather worried as he said ' The words are wrong' The terminology used in the books we have been sent is American not English so instead of saying 'bar' it says 'measure' The name of the notes are all incorrect for UK teaching, It says 'Whole Note' not 'Semibreve', 'Half Note' instead of 'Minim', 'Quarter Note' instead of Crotchet and others which has caused some confussion. Luckily we have a very patient and good teacher who has pencil corrected the words BUT our 8year old is not adapting to the correct words well so we are going to need to cover the incorrect words which is a shame to spoil such nice books. Our daughter who alreday reads music is not having any issues.

So the books are in English writing but American terminology.

5.0 out of 5 stars Piano lessons made easy, 28 Feb. 2011
I bought these books to continue helping my daughter play the piano. We are learning together and the CD's are very helpful and a bonus. Now my seven year old daughter can play and practice by herself when she feels like it. Would recommend this product. Good price as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 12 Jan. 2012
Fantastic - never mind the kids learning - I'm having a ball! Very clear and simple support throughout this book. It takes you by the hand and walks you through each step at your own pace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Title is accurate and the books work! Illustrations are quite amusing., 12 May 2015
My 8 year old son started working his way through book one from the beginning one morning, after i'd left the books oportunistically placed for some time. Within 6 days, he had followed his way through book one, and gained the knowledge in a way that stacked up logically, so he was easily on to book two which took longer to get through but still was enjoyable and kept him interested. Book three is quite a jump - though he is doing this on his own without anyone else's input, at his leisure. I would definitely recommend it as suitable for anyone, it was useful as a recap and the illustrations are quite amusing, they don't get in the way of a more serious flit through it. It does seem very comprehensive, nothing gets missed out. All that said my son is quite an avid learner and doesn't have the distractions of TV and computer games so he has had a really good go at it - it's saved me a fortune in piano lessons and we had a teacher check on his progress and he seemed confident the books are doing the job on their own!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 11 Jan. 2012
I bought & donated the product to a school teaching piano. The product is of excellent quality & value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very easy way to start learning the piano., 14 Jan. 2014
I bought this for one of my children and she's playing nicely with both hands after a couple of months practicing every other day.
The pictures / graphics could be better, but the method is pretty good.
If you're looking for a good way to start learning the piano, this is a very good option.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best piano course for beginners, 24 Sept. 2014
The best piano course for beginners I have found.
Yes it's American, but I tried the English equivalent, and found it inferior.
I use these books for all my start-up piano students. The tunes are so much more interesting, the layout big, the pace slow.
Highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars a good buy, 8 Nov. 2013
very clear and concise with easy steps. Ideal for young beginners.
Only gripe is that it was not clear that it was the American version, and it would be better if UK suppliers, only suppied the English version, or made it very clear what would be sent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very complete piano course and the CD are a great extra, 31 Aug. 2013
I have been using this piano course on my piano clases for a couple of years. It is a great book for kids, easy to understand and with nice and colorful graphics. I am using it myself though! I take it to my piano classes and I use it to practice at home.

John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course - Complete
John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course - Complete by John Thompson (Paperback - 1 Mar. 2009)