4.0 out of 5 stars Latest in the Mephisto Club series
A good read which is difficult to put down although it may be necessary to suspend disbelief from time to time. In addition to the regulars - Detective Jane Rizzoli & forensic pathologist Maura Isles- there are a couple of other returning characters.
Published 22 months ago by S. Finch

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Tess Gerritsen's best by far
This is a cracking reading until about three quarters of the way through and then the plot becomes very far fetched. This is an absolute far cry from The Surgeon etc., and it pains me to say it but I now believe Tess is going the same way as Cornwell did and the books just became implausible.

I have read all of Tess's books and they were some of the best books...
Published 22 months ago by Yorkshire Rose

4.0 out of 5 stars Latest in the Mephisto Club series, 27 Sep 2012
S. Finch (Stratford-upon-Avon) - See all my reviews
For this reason I would recommend you first read the Mephisto Club which introduced readers to the somewhat unbelievable, but powerful, secret society fighting evil - led by the mysterious Anthony Sansone. Also The Killing place which introduces Julian 'Rat' Perkins + also has Sansone heading to the rescue of Dr Isles. Of the three I enjoyed this latest book the most.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another solid read, 21 Aug 2012
You can always depend on Tess Gerritsen for a thrill a minute storyline, gripping characters and an ending that will leave you well and truly satisfied - Last to Die is no exception. Slick, commanding and powerful the book once again draws on the colourful relationship between Boston ME Maura Isles and Detective Jane Rizzoli who still can't escape - no matter how hard she tries to ignore their calls - her weird and unhinged family. Although we don't get to hear much from her parents and Frankie - her brother - it's more than enough to help set the tone for the entire book. Desperate to move on Rizzoli can't escape the clutches of her parents and the detective is called in yet again to help resolve critical familial issues.

That aside the relationship between Maura and Jane develops nicely and although the pair are separated for large chunks of the story Gerritsen still manages to put the two in danger and their personal relationship evolves as a by-product.

The characters are colourful and inviting, I don't think there was one character I didn't like. As with any good murder mystery you spend enough time wondering who will turn out to be the guilty party and why, Last to Die will not disappoint. There are a number of red herrings along the way to steer you down one path or the other - only time will tell if you are walking down the right one. I know I wasn't!

Characters and relationships aside it was the setting that won me over. A former private castle, Evensong is a magnificent building. I was completely blown away by Gerritsen's descriptive powers and the building had quite the effect on me. I loved its atmospheric powers, the lake, the forbidding woods, the derelict cottage and the curious staff but more than anything the writing made me want to stay there, explore the surrounds and secret passageways. Evensong - the building and location - probably captured my imagination more than any location I've read and discovered in the last month or so.

Although like all her novels Last To Die stands alone but to get the most out of this book reading her previous titles would certainly complete the circle. Gerritsen pays reference to previous encounters and although I haven't read all of the Rizzoli and Isles adventures this has certainly made me want to explore her back catalogue.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Tess Gerritsen's best by far, 4 Sep 2012

I have read all of Tess's books and they were some of the best books I have ever read, especially The Bone Garden which was stunning, but I should've stuck by my previous resolve after her last offering (which was just okay) and not read any more by her.

As I say the first three quarters is unputdownable but then it goes down faster than a lead balloon.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite crime thriller of 2012!, 29 Dec 2012
This was, without a doubt my favourite crime thriller of 2012, in fact my favourite in a long long time - and I read a lot of crime thrillers!

I though 'Ice Cold' was going to be hard to beat, but this latest installment from duo Rizzoli & Isles was simply un-put-downable!

Set in a castle / school deep in the Maine countryside. 'Evensong' is a school run by the dark & mega-rich character Anthony Sansone, whom we met in the earlier Mephitso Club books. The school houses 'damaged' kids, who have all at some point in their short lived encountered death of those close to them.

Three children, somehow connected are transferred to the school and are being tracked down by unknown killers, who have already wiped out their families.

It is down to Maura Isles & Jane Rizzoli to keep them safe and find out who is trying to kill them & why.

I just loved the characters in this book and the setting in the castle felt like a real old fashioned murder mystery.

Five stars Tess!

5.0 out of 5 stars Last to Die, 13 Oct 2012
The best book I had read for a long time, it kept me awake at night because I could not put it down. Did not guess who done it, if it had been a book I would have looked at the end, so I was glad I had it on the kindle/iPad .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great grat great, 6 Oct 2012
Mr. A. Cowles (England) - See all my reviews
Yet another winner from Tess Gerritsen. A really brilliant read that led the reader on its journey which when finished left us wanting more. The story concerned the memphis club again and it took us along the twists and turns wondering where we were going next. I really recommend this book which is well worth the time and you will not want to put it down.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor outing for Isles & Rizzoli, 16 Sep 2012
From the mid-point, the story lost its momentum. There was little character development from both Rizzoli and Isles and they both seemed quite pedestrian. The plot was fairly predictable and the twist at the end was not one of awe. I am just glad the story didn't invole aliens which was an option as one of the deceased parents worked at NASA and believed he had found ET. I suspect that publishers are pushing Gerritsen to churn them out now that she has hit the major league, but unfortunately this is the result.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good mystery thriller from Tess Gerritsen, 16 Aug 2012
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Tess Gerritsen is an unusual if not exceptional writer, in that she's been around for a long time but unlike many of her peers she actually seems to be getting better with age. No way can you accuse her of resting on her laurels; she really tries to write a great story every time - and while I admit there have been some 'so-so' efforts now and then, generally speaking she's still at the top of her game.

So how about her latest, Last to Die?

Detective Jane Rizzoli and Medical Examiner Dr Maura Isles must protect three orphans whose foster families have each been murdered. Now hidden away in the mysterious Evensong boarding school, these three children may still be in danger, pursued by a relentless killer. In New York, young teen Claire Ward survived a car crash that killed her foster parents. In New Hampshire, 14-year-old Will survived an explosion that killed his aunt and uncle in their farmhouse. In Boston, 14-year-old Teddy has already survived a massacre a couple of years earlier, one that wiped out his whole family. Now, unbelievably, history repeats itself and his foster family is killed and he finds himself orphaned once more. Rizzoli steps in to investigate, and then Teddy is almost killed yet again. For Rizzoli all thoughts of bad luck and coincidence go out the window - someone is pursuing this boy in the most sickeningly violent way. So she hides him away in what should be the perfect sanctuary, but still someone seems to know where he is. Not only that, but she learns that there are other children whose past lives somehow manage to resemble Teddy's. Rizzoli teams up with Isles to protect him and the other orphans from an unspeakable secret, and catch a psychologically obsessed killer.

Somehow Gerritsen manages to weave some humour into the plot, in the form of Rizzoli's dysfunctional family. At the time it appears it seems out of place even if it is very well written, but at the conclusion its relevance becomes clearer as Maura Isles reflects upon the things that might be missing from her life. There's also a reappearance of Anthony Sansone, who first cropped up in The Mephisto Club a few years ago.

So yes - thumbs up from me. This is an exciting, gripping and mysterious Rizzoli & Isles escapade that pulls the reader in from the opening chapter's mass murders and never loosens its hold until the final thrilling finish, as fans will want to know who's behind the murders, and above all: why? Suspenseful and fast-paced, Last to Die is a terrific murder mystery and, once again, this is one author who keeps getting better with each book she writes.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 13 July 2014
Another amazing book by Tess Gerritsen

3.0 out of 5 stars Formulaic and forgettable., 12 July 2014
Like Cornwell there comes a time when the ideas for the books in this series dry up and you feel you are reading a formulaic book that no longer works. I can remember all the early plots of the early books. I haven't a clue now about this one some months after reading it. Utterly forgettable. Give up Tess and write about something else.

Last to Die (Rizzoli & Isles Novels)
Last to Die (Rizzoli & Isles Novels) by Tess Gerritsen (Audio CD - 25 Jun 2013)
10.56