Alienated:
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:£10.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 7 October 2014
Alienated summary.

Two years ago, the aliens made contact. Now Cara Sweeney is going to be sharing a bathroom with one of them.

Handpicked to host the first-ever L’eihr exchange student, Cara thinks her future is set. Not only does she get a free ride to her dream college, she’ll have inside information about the mysterious L’eihrs that every journalist would kill for. Cara’s blog following is about to skyrocket.

Still, Cara isn’t sure what to think when she meets Aelyx. Humans and L’eihrs have nearly identical DNA, but cold, infuriatingly brilliant Aelyx couldn’t seem more alien. She’s certain about one thing, though: no human boy is this good-looking.

But when Cara’s classmates get swept up by anti-L’eihr paranoia, Midtown High School suddenly isn’t safe anymore. Threatening notes appear in Cara’s locker, and a police officer has to escort her and Aelyx to class.

Cara finds support in the last person she expected. She realizes that Aelyx isn’t just her only friend; she’s fallen hard for him. But Aelyx has been hiding the truth about the purpose of his exchange, and its potentially deadly consequences. Soon Cara will be in for the fight of her life—not just for herself and the boy she loves, but for the future of her planet.

The Review.

I read Alienated early in the summer and I loved it so much. I wanted to do a review on this book as soon as I made my blog. And finally got round to writing one.
First can we just appreciate this beautiful cover? I love it so much.
Before Alienated I have never picked up a science fiction book before, never been fussed. I now thank Melissa for my obsessions with anything Sci Fi and sexy aliens. I really enjoyed this book. It was such a page turner and I finished it within a couple of days. I feel in love with the story from the first chapter. It didn’t take long to get into. Alienated was light, entertaining and romantic. Alienated brought me a good mix of humor and romance. The world building and description of the planet L’eihr was brilliant. It’s beautifully done and with the author’s amazing storytelling skills, you can clearly picture the planet in your head even though we’re in Earth most of the time. The story was easy to read, which is why I finished it so quick. I literally could not put it down.
I like in books when you can relate to the characters. I could really relate to Cara. She wasn’t only clever but very interesting. I haven’t read about a character like her before she was different. I loved the way Cara never went back on her word even when everyone was against her she stays strong and tries her very best to make Aeylex comfortable and to treat him well. I also loved reading her blog posts.
Aaelyx was quite a character. When he first arrives he seems very distant, robotic and he doesn’t give too much away. I love the way he talks to people on earth. He talks down to them which made me chuckle a few times. Cara slowly brings him out of his shell and I began to really love him. I came obsessed to be honest.
I love Cara and Aaelyx relationship. It was one of my favourite to read about. It wasn’t rushed like in some books. It kept at a slow pace. I loved reading scenes when they were together. The chemistry between them was beautifully written.
Overall I really enjoyed this book and I recommend to anyone that likes romance, friendship, aliens, and adventure. This book is perfect.
I give Alienated five out of five stars, there is nothing I would change.
on 9 March 2014
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Disney Book Group and Netgalley.)
16-year-old Cara is chosen to take part in an alien exchange programme, even though she didn’t apply. Deciding to accept, Cara ends up with Aelyx, and a whole lot of trouble from people who believe that the people of earth shouldn’t be fraternising with aliens.
Cara and Aelyx become more than friends, but Cara doesn’t know that Aelyx is secretly plotting against the people of Earth.
Can Cara and Aelyx really be together? What is Aelyx doing? And why are crops suddenly failing?

I’m a little torn over this book, because the first 80% was pants, the next 10% was alright, and the last 10% was pretty cheesy.

I can’t say that I really liked any of the characters in this book all that much. I did think that both Cara and Aelyx came across slightly better in the 10% of this book that was good, but for the majority of the time I didn’t like them. Aelyx had this hidden agenda, which I didn’t appreciate, and Cara was seemed a little stupid at times. I did think it was nice of her to try and cook Aelyx some food that he would like, and I liked the way she stood up for him, but at times she just didn’t take things into consideration that she really should have done, and at times she did things that annoyed me. I thought it was pretty cruel of her to ask her mother to cook a roast, because Aelyx liked ‘bland’ food, and that her mother’s roast was the blandest thing ever.
The rest of the characters in this book came off as childish, irritating, or stupid, and some of them ticked all three of those boxes unfortunately. Even Cara’s parents did some stupid and immature things at times.

The storyline was okay, but to be honest I was just bored most of the time. The first 80% of the book was just dull. Really dull, and I wasn’t impressed at all. We did get a bit more excitement for the next 10% of the book, but then we went back down to mediocre. I’m not even sure what exactly it was, but it just didn’t hold my interest much at all. Even the alien stuff wasn’t all that interesting, and I really wasn’t impressed with the whole blackmail side of things.

The last 20% wasn’t so bad though. We got some action, Cara and Aelyx actually started to be a little nicer, and the story seemed to be going somewhere, right up until the 94% mark when it became pretty unbelievable, and fairly cheesy, and I again wasn’t impressed.
We were then left with a bit of a cliff hanger, and whilst I want to know how the story ends, I’m not sure I could read the next book right away even if it was available, there’s just something about this that bores me and puts me off.
Overall; mostly dull.
5 out of 10.
on 1 July 2015
QUICK REVIEW
Alienated was a joy to read, which is why it was read in a day. It centres around the relationship between a nerdy, redhead human girl and a serious, intelligent, sexy alien guy… and Earth’s desire to send said alien guy packing. While not tremendously deep or realistic (as realistic as alien sci-fi can get), Alienated was so very sweet and actually quite exciting at times. Landers also achieves something quite incredible: writing a spicy couple of scenes while keeping both characters (mostly) clothed and virgins. Yet, underneath all the sugar, you’ll taste the bitterness of prejudice, pulling these two star-crossed lovers apart. (HA, I’m so funny.) If you want a cute, romantic YA –but with aliens and bigots– snatch this book up!

You can find my longer review here: http://danireviewsthings.com/2015/06/30/review-alienated-by-melissa-landers/
on 12 March 2014
I've posted a video review of this book at this link - [...]

This book had me at the blurb alone, sharing a bathroom with an exchange program alien? That sounds different and interesting! After buying the book on Amazon the delivery was messed up and I got sent an E-Book instead of a hard copy. Make a note that I received this E-Book at 11.30 at night when I finally managed to sync my darn kindle. So a few hours later it was 4AM and I had finished the book.
Yes, you heard me correct. I forgot to sleep... Don't get me wrong, I did try and sleep at like 2AM but as I lay down to sleep my brain just kept nagging me to read more. Hence why I was awake till 4AM.
So basically Aelyx is a l'eihr, from another planet and as part of the exchange program himself and two others like him are going to different countries on earth to spend a year with human families and help create an alliance between the planets. Immediately I thought the exchange program idea was new and creative. The human that Aelyx has to live with is Cara and her parents. Cara is a typical overachiever, valadictorian, sporty, ect. I wasn't to keen on the Cara character at first but she really grew on me as I kept on reading.
One huge plus for this book in my eyes is how well it depicts racism and discrimination. If this exchange program between worlds really did exist it wouldn't be smooth sailing at all. There would be groups like HALO causing all kinds of crap like in this book. Humans are racist creatures. Sixty years ago we had segregation and currently we have the big debate with gay marriage, of course humans would also kick up a fuss at an alien coming to earth.
This book is Landers debut into the YA genre, and its a really good debut at that! This book will most defiantly be on my list of best 2014 debuts.
The world building was good, I understood what Landers was trying to get across and neither world came across as completely unrealistic. Sure, I've seen similar stories to this before but they were all written with the writing skills of a monkey, Landers is by far the best.
And may I just say kudos for the reference to the 'that unedited fan-fiction book with all the spanking' sadly that could refer to one of three FanFics that became books that involve spanking...
The story is written in duel POV, which I feel adds a lot to the plot and without it the story would be week and it wouldn't be half the book it is, seeing the story form both Cara's point of view and Aelyx's point of view is really effective.
So Overall...
8.5/10 – well worth the read, no sleep required.
on 1 March 2014
I find it really amusing that the one book I have been really hesitant to read, sure I wouldn't like it, turns out to be the book I love the most. I wasn't completely sold on the cover and after reading the book description on Netgalley I was sure I wouldn't enjoy. I was so incredibly wrong! And I really hate having to admit I'm wrong. This turned out to be one of the funnest, greatest reads that I've read for awhile.

Cara was a great character, she was hilarious and the kind of person that I would want to be friends with. I really enjoyed her sarcastic sense of humour and she really got me laughing at times. But I did get irked by a few of her, what I came to call, Cara-isms: sucktacular, craptacular, ridic (because ridiculous is obviously too ridiculously long to use!). those did get on my nerves after a while. Cara's blog entries were genius, yes this has blog entries! I feel it's because it all feels so familiar, the theme days like FAQ Friday and her little jokes made me smile. It was a really great way to break up the chapters.

Aelyx, oh I don't even know where to begin. Quite honestly, I totally fell for Aelyx, Team Aelyx all the way! I did not realise that the idea of an alien race would seem so appealing. I can only assume that if Twilight managed to make millions of girls all over the world swoon at the idea of vampires, then this definitely has the potential to makes us long for the discovery of an alien race. If this happens, sign me up for the exchange program.Let's hope if they do it's more like Ryan Reynolds in The Nines than E.T.

This: Not This:

Cara and Aelyx's relationship progresses really slowly throughout this book; which I much prefer to those instant 'I love you, you're mine!' relationships you seem to find so often in young adult books now. It feels so real, you can feel the tension between the two of them as if they were standing right in front of you. I was rooting for them the whole time, even when they weren't. It's been quite a long time since I have wanted two characters in a book to get together so badly. Usually the romance takes a back seat to the rest of the story for me.

I really like Cara and Aelyx as characters but if I were to find one fault with this book it would be that the secondary characters don't play too big a role in it. Cara's best friend seemed to have great potential early on to be a funny, likeable character but quickly disappeared. The same for Cara's boyfriend Eric who played the token douche every book needs, someone you can love to hate but sadly he too disappeared rather quickly. This book was Cara and Aelyx, but I don't mind too much as I rather fell in love with them both.

5/5 Stars

*I received a copy of this novel from the author/publisher/publicist via Netgalley in exchange for a free and honest review and received no monetary compensation for this review.

For more reviews & giveawa
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Alienated is a book I've been looking forward to for so long! I heard about it waaaay back at the start of 2013 and have been dying to get my hands on a copy ever since. So, when I came across a copy on Netgalley I just had to request it and then I was even more excited when my request was accepted! I've been trying not to read this book for so long since I wanted to wait until nearer the release date, and it was definitely worth the wait. I absolutely adored this book!

Alienated follows our main character Cara Sweeney who is going to be sharing her house with an alien. The aliens made contact two years ago and Cara has been picked as one of the first to be involved in the L'eihr exchange program. Cara gets a free ride to any college she wants by participating in this exchange and she thinks her future is set. But then Aelyx arrives and Cara isn't sure what to think of him. He looks identical to her, but he couldn't seem more alien. Cara's town starts rioting and petitioning against the L'eihrs and Cara stars to receive threatening notes. Cara and Aelyx start to grow close, but she doesn't know that Aelyx has been hiding something from her. Something that will have deadly consequences.

Right from the start I was hooked because Aliens! Ever since reading The Lorien Legacies and The Lux series, I've became a massive fan of aliens and that's the first thing that drew me to this book (well, second because that cover <3) and I was super excited to read it. Luckily, I wasn't let down by Landers aliens. The L'eihrs were... interesting. They physically resembled humans, but they didn't have the same emotions as humans. It was like they were kind of detached from anything that could invoke emotions, so it was definitely an interesting concept. There were also a few other things we learnt about the L'ehirs but I can't really mention because it'll slightly spoil things, so you'll just have to read it and find out for yourselves.

I really loved Cara. When she first heard that she'd been chosen for the program she initially doesn't want to do it but then the money/scholarship to any college she wants sways her. Obviously you're going to be swayed by the opportunity to get into any college you want and I probably would have done the same. But as the book goes on, Cara starts to learn about Aelyx and the L'eihrs, and realises that she's glad she's taken part in the exchange because she's got to meet Aelyx. Cara is a tough character with a strong spirit and she always fights for what she believes in. She's such a sweet and caring character and goes out of her way to make Aelyx feel at home on Earth. Her blog entries had to be one of my favourite parts of the book though. They were hilarious most of the time and always showed how strongly she supported the L'eihrs.

What can I say about Aelyx. Well, he's an alien, he's snarky, arrogant, sweet and I completely fell for him. I will admit that there were moments when I wanted to shake some sense into him, but for the most part I loved him. Aelyx was completely out of his comfort zone on Earth. He doesn't know anything and it was actually pretty hilarious seeing him integrate into the human world because he was just completely baffled by it. As the book went on, Aelyx developed into such a fantastic character. He was so different from the boy alien that he was at the start of the book and I adored the change in him.

Aelyx and Cara's relationship is now one of my favourites. It took a while for their friendship to develop at the start. Cara instantly liked Aelyx, but Aelyx was holding back and was too focus on his 'mission' to think about making friends. But they're basically thrown together and their friendship is definitely one of my favourites. And then their friendship developed into romance and it was just so adorable. There was just this connection between then and when they both finally acknowledged it, it left me so happy. Melissa Landers can definitely write make out scenes *fans self* I mean, just, wow.

The story line actually surprised me. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. There were a lot more thing going on than I'd anticipated. Obviously I adored seeing Aelyx and Cara's friendship develop, I also enjoyed seeing Aelyx adjusting to life on Earth. Cara was being targeted by the anti-L'eihr and it let to threats and acts of violence against her, so that was definitely interesting to see even if it did make me sick to my stomach that people were willing to take their protests that far. I also enjoyed seeing what Aelyx was doing for his 'mission' even if it did make me want to punch him after the consequences were revealed. I never expected there to be a lot of action in this book, but the ending was craaaaaazy! And I'm not even exaggerating because it totally was and was totally unexpected. But I loved it. I'm super excited for Invaded now because I'm looking forward to learning more about L'eihr and the aliens, plus, I'm looking forward more Aelyx and Cara because they're just adorable.

Overall, I ended up enjoying Alienated a lot more than I thought I would. I loved the aliens, the story line, the romance and everything else about this book. I need to buy my own copy purely to have that pretty cover on my shelf (It's totally not so that I can re-read the make out scenes. Definitely not...) It's definitely one I'd recommend if you're looking for something light and fluffy with a bit of action thrown in because it'd be perfect.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Alienated by Melissa Landers is a fun, fast read with a great story! When Cara is chosen to host an exchange student from L'eihr, a newly discovered planet populated by human-like aliens. She agrees, but doesn't realise what this will mean for her and her family.
I have to say I really enjoyed this book. It was such an interesting concept that had me hooked from the very beginning! It was really interesting to see the extreme prejudice most humans felt towards the L'eihr exchange students.
I also have to mention that while there is romance it is most definitely not of the insta-love variety which I absolutely hate. Cara and Aelyx's feelings developed naturally, especially with Aelyx who disliked humans from the start.
I can't wait for the next instalment in this series, I'm at the edge of my seat waiting to read about L'eihr and what happens next for our protagonists!
on 26 June 2015
Arrived as described
on 1 March 2014
Wow! What a read. I knew it was going to be good, I had high expectations, but words cannot describe how much my expectations were just blown out of the ocean with this book.

The cover is beautiful, colourful, everything I want on my shelf, the story is well written, and I cannot wait for the next one.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I tend to prefer to watch my sci-fi than read it and while I did enjoy Alienated it was slightly too fluffy for me to get truly invested in as I felt confused at times as to whether I was reading a cute and fun contemporary or a solid science fiction novel. I think the fact that I’m thoroughly enjoying Star-crossed, the TV show with the almost identical plot meant Alienated did stay firmly in my favour throughout despite any lukewarm feelings I held as I read.

When aliens called the L’eihr’s make contact with Earth the reaction to their presence is mixed. While their advanced technology and disease curing abilities are thoroughly welcomed in particular by the family of our heroine Cara Sweeney, there is also a definite feeling of unease which is amplified with the announcement of a student exchange programme. When Cara is chosen as student ambassador for the US and must host an alien called Aelyx she is unsure if it’s worth the risk to her family and friends when anti-alien protestors make their presence felt not to mention the fact that Aelyx isn’t exactly the friendliest “little green man” to boot. As time goes on Cara finds that for every difference she and Aelyx share, the most startling discovery is just how alike they are.

I really enjoyed Cara as an MC. I found her to be intelligent, sensible, sweet and funny and both aware of her imperfections and willing to find strength in them. She is really put through the ringer in this novel when she agrees to take part in the exchange programme. She is unceremoniously dumped by both her boyfriend and her best friend, threatened constantly with physical violence and verbal insults and has to watch her family go through the pain of being ostracised by the community. Despite all the hardship she never once wavers in her belief that what she is doing will be beneficial to her race in the long term and is determined to stay strong no matter the cost.

It took me a little longer to really have any feelings of positivity towards Aelyx as at first it was arrogant and dismissive to both Cara and the human race and was willing to put them in danger to achieve his own goals. However as the book went on and he and Cara connected I loved how he grew to be a caring and compassionate person and I loved the relationship he forged with Cara.

Cara and Aelyx’s friendship was definitely the highlight of the book for me and it was refreshing to read a book without insta-love; there is nothing better for me than the slow burn as a couple truly get to know each other first and connect on a much deeper level than simply looks and lust. Aelyx and Cara really worked at finding a common ground first to build the foundation of their friendship and I was interested to see how it would develop.

The darker side of the novel and its exploration of racism and prejudice was another highlight for me although at times the overall feeling of “fluffiness” I mentioned before I believe hampered the book from truly exploring this more insidious side of both the humans and aliens however it still managed to hit home and created serious discomfort for me at times as I read some of the acts perpetrated against Cara, Aelyx and those they cared about.

Overall, Alienated is a fun, cute and interesting novel and while I would deem it more to be on the forgettable side and not one to put on the reread shelf I am still definitely interested in finding out what is in store for Cara and Aelyx in the next instalment!