4.0 out of 5 stars 3 Star Story, With a 5 Star Finish.
(Source: I won a hardback copy of this book.)
16-year-old Ruby was taken from her parent's home on her 10th birthday, and taken to a camp for kids with psi abilities.
Published 12 months ago by Sarah

3.0 out of 5 stars I would like this on Kindle!!! - 3 stars just because i cant read it!!
I have read really good reviews of this book - and just hope they soon publish it on kindle as it would be added straight to my library !!
Published 5 months ago by Luci

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 Star Story, With a 5 Star Finish., 6 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Darkest Minds (Hardcover)
(Source: I won a hardback copy of this book.)
One of a small number of kids who actually survived a disease known as IAAN, Ruby had no idea that the American government was afraid of what she could do with her mind, and ended up in camp with around 3000 other kids and held there like a prisoner for 6 years.

After being busted out by a member of a terrorist group intent on using Ruby's abilities for harm, Ruby manages to get away, and ends up with another group of kids in a similar situation.
How long can they run from the government and bounty hunters though? Can Ruby learn to use her abilities to her advantage? And will she ever make it home?

This was a 3 star story, with a 5 star ending.

Ruby was an interesting character. She was strong even when she didn't think that she was, and she was resourceful when things mattered. I felt sorry for her over the way she had been treated by her parents, then by the PSF (people in charge at the camp), and then by plenty of other people. I liked how she became more confident though, and how she began to see the way forward, even when the way forward was hard.

I liked the storyline in this book, but I did feel that it was pretty slow in places. Maybe it was the lack of zombies or something, but I didn't feel the urgency or adrenalin in this story the way I expected to, and although stuff happened, it didn't make me desperate to keep reading, which was a shame.
There were some twists and turns in this story, but I felt like I saw a lot of them coming. The last 10-15% of the story was really good though, it was a shame that the rest of the book couldn't have been the same! The finale of this book had excitement, it had twists and turns, it had drama and cliff-hangers galore, and a final heart-wrenching decision by Ruby which actually hurt to read.

Most of this book felt a little flat to me, but the ending was pretty spectacular. I really didn't get why people loved this book so much until I got to the ending, but I get it now. I really feel quite violent after that ending though - I don't know whether to throw the book, scream and shout, or cry - I am that incensed! After that ending though, I'll definitely be reading the next book.
Overall; a 3 star story, with a 5 star finish.
7.75 out of 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and brilliant!, 6 Feb 2013
My review:

I received The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken as an ARC during BEA 2012 and I have had it on my shelf waiting for me to pick it up. I did pick it up more than once, but decided to read it in the beginning of 2013. Boy, was I glad I did that!

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken is an intriguing novel which is amazingly well written. I loved the world and the characters which author created and I was literally stunned by it. I used to read Science Fiction books seldom, but now, after reading The Darkest Minds and few other YA Science Fiction books, it seems I have turned into the sci-fi fan. Let me rephrase it, I have turned into the fan of YA Sci-fi authors and that definitely includes Alexandra Bracken!

Plot:

The opening scenes of The Darkest Minds take you to rehabilitation camp where you meet Ruby, a sixteen years old teenage girl working. Thurmond, a camp which gathers few thousands of kids who have survived the age ten. There is a virus which either kills you when 10 years old and if you survive this virus, you get abilities which the government is scared of and you are sent to the camps run by military.

Kids are divided into colors according to how dangerous their abilities are considered. Ruby has survived for 6 years by hiding who she really is and which abilities she has. When the leaders of the camp are getting suspicious about her, she is in severe danger. Ruby manages to escape with the help from the member of the League which is a rebellion movement saving the kids. At least that is what they want her to believe. What they don't know is, that Ruby can read minds. Ruby escapes again and while doing her best to not getting caught, she meets a group of kids who are heading to the only place which should be safe for kids - East River.

Things I loved about the book:
I loved the settings - contemporary world where US was a country left out and cut off of any relationships to other countries. It was isolated. Canadians even built a wall on the border! It was horrifying and interesting to read what the country did to their own children: they gave them to authorities, they did not do a thing to save their kids from the camps where the most probable outcome was a death of their children. It was a country where kids were put to camps similar to concentration camps where kids had to do hard work and got killed. It's a world where you can trust no one, none at all - even children.

I admired the author of ending the first book with heart-wrenching cliffhanger. Can't wait to read what will happen in the next book. The world Alexandra Bracken created were dark and horrid and I loved it!

Characters:

I loved how Ruby grew from being a scared and damaged teenager to confident person who knew exactly what to do in order to protect herself and especially persons she loved. I enjoyed the dynamics of the relationship she had with Liam and how protective she was of her friends Zu and Chubs.

Liam was awesome! His hope and positive way of thinking were energizing! He is a guy who is easy to relate to and love.

What is fun about the characters in The Darkest Minds is that they are alive and colorful and fascinating. They all have stories to tell and they add a lot to the unpredictable plot!

Generally:

The Darkest Minds is a great book with wonderful and dark plot and fascinating characters! I truly enjoyed it and recommend it highly!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 24 Feb 2013
L. Rossi "Book eater" (Rome, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Darkest Minds (Hardcover)
This is one of the best books i ve read over the past few years.
The story is unique, nothing i ve read before. It a for teenagers but honestly i m older than that and i enjoyed it. I love get writing style too, very direct, easy going, elaborate at Times. The characters have very distinct personalities. There is a little humour l, a little drama and an ending you Will not expect.
The best part of it all is that bracken makes this dystopian story very real.
I won t go into details with the plot, but trust me when i say this is the new trilogy and i Would not be' surprised if there Will be' a movie about it.
Brillant!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow start, but even better ending!, 8 May 2014
Book Passion for Life (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Darkest Minds (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this once I got into. It did have a slow start but the middle and ending surely made up for it. And I can't wait to read more in the sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant YA dystopian, and a promising start to the series., 8 April 2014
This review is from: The Darkest Minds (Paperback)
I loved every second of this book by young and talented author Alexandra Bracken. The characters are down to earth, funny and relatable which straight away makes the book easy and enjoyable to read, not the mention that our heroine Ruby is as brave and inspiring as any YA heroine should be, and the love interest Liam is one of the best male characters I've ever seen in a book - sweet, protective but also incredibly real.
The story was fast paced and gripping, with an interesting plot plus an ending that left me with quite a few questions - I ordered the sequel straight away!
Overall I loved this book and can't wait to continue the series. Good job, Alex! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars i love it, 27 Mar 2014
where do I start...
I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH! I picked it up through recommendation and was still reading at 2 in the morning the day I got it.
Both the characters (my personal favourite being chubbs) and the story line are really thought provoking and the fact that it is written as a near future occurrence - kids getting crazy powers- clever and unnerving. I really liked how comedic it was, how fast paced and action filled the plot was. Amazing book, and a new favourite for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
This review is from: The Darkest Minds (Paperback)
Excellent product and service. Many thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good start, 7 Mar 2014
4.5 stars
I really did enjoy this book.
Although in the beginning of the book it started of really slow however toward the ending it blow me away. I was in tears, and really crush Me .The story focused more toward the character of each person in the book and how they overcome against all obstacle
The reason why I gave 4.5 it's because the world building was lacking and it did become confusing at some part

5.0 out of 5 stars 'It’s so easy to get lost in the world created in The Darkest Minds.', 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Darkest Minds (Paperback)
What can I say about The Darkest Minds that will sum up its total awesomeness? I was a little worried about starting it because of how much hype surrounds it, but I wasn’t let down at all and I ended up loving it.

When kids starting coming down with IAAN, and then dying, the remaining children are left with supernatural powers. When Ruby wakes up on her tenth birthday, she has changed, and a freaky accident leads to her being sent to one of the brutal rehabilitation camps. There the kids are sorted into groups and barely survive. Every day brings another struggle. At sixteen, Ruby manages to escape, but is life outside of the camps any easier?

It’s so easy to get lost in the world created in The Darkest Minds. I was so invested in the lives of the characters that I felt what they were feeling. My facial expressions must have been a sight to witness when I read this because the imagery used makes everything feel very realistic. Not to mention that I’m the same age as many of the characters so, if this was real, I would be in the same situation. Let me tell you that I would not survive a day.

The camps reminded me a lot of Nazi concentration camps during the Second World War and there were many similarities – the human testing and the harsh work, for example. I can’t imagine being put into one of the camps, helpless and frightened. The camp that Ruby was in, especially, was extreme and I would have been petrified.

Speaking of Ruby, I loved her. She had so much on her shoulders and I think she’s a truly admirable character. I really want to be best friends with her! Bracken has made her character development very interesting. She comes across as a clueless and nave young girl but there’s a lot going on beneath the surface that we don’t realise. This is the strongest character development I think I may have ever read and Ruby’s arc was so complex. She goes on one heck of a journey throughout this book and I liked that we got to read about her when she was much younger too.

On to the secondary characters… Zu was such a cutie. I’d really like her to be my sister because she’s one of those people who are just so huggable. I’m really curious as to what will happen to her in the next novel and I’m really looking forward to reading more about her.

Chubs is another character who had such a solid character development. There were so many different layers to his character and all were explored in such depth.

I loved Liam so much. Another character who you got to know so well and I became so invested in him. His and Ruby’s chemistry was so believable and it makes me squeal just thinking about it. I LOVED every scene he was in.

I cannot stop gushing about this book. I really hope it’s published in the UK soon because we’re seriously missing out. Bracken has a rare talent that you don’t see very often and I can’t wait to read more by her.

5.0 out of 5 stars i cried, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Darkest Minds (Paperback)
I got this book today and i read it today i am walking around the house hugging it. That is how much i loved this book. Every time i think of it i tear up.

The action. The adventure. Ruby, Liam, Chubbs, Zu.

It was all too much heartbreak and yet i loved every single moment of this book, I literally couldn't put it down. It's a must read.

The Darkest Minds
The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (Paperback - 22 Oct 2013)
5.25