5.0 out of 5 stars great!
I loved this book a great second instalment, can't wait for the third to come out. I got this book super quick even though it could have a very long wait. And it also came in excellent condition, so overall I am very pleased with the delivery and contents of this book!
Published 1 month ago by olly

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay Story, But Way Too Long
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Disney Book Group and Netgalley.)
This is book 2 in the `Darkest Minds' series, and kicks off six months after the end of book 1 `Darkest Minds'.
**Warning - some unavoidable spoilers for book 1 `Darkest minds'.**
Ruby is now working for The Children's League, and...
Published 6 months ago by Sarah

5.0 out of 5 stars great!, 2 Jun 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful story, 17 April 2014
Mrs. R. Fitzgerald "love to read" (Manchester England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Never Fade (Darkest Minds) (Hardcover)
I love it. every twist and turn, the development of the characters' how they grew stronger. I cannot spoil it for the anyone who has not read this book just do yourself a big favor and buy it you can always thank me later.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay Story, But Way Too Long, 13 Jan 2014
**Warning - some unavoidable spoilers for book 1 `Darkest minds'.**
Ruby is now working for The Children's League, and has no idea where Liam is.

When she discovers even more corruption within the organisation, she takes a chance and escapes, only to find herself in more trouble, and still having no idea how to find Liam.
Can Ruby find Liam? Can she avoid the Children's League? And what other evil plans are being constructed?

This was an okay story, but it just felt really long.

Ruby was holding things together quite nicely in this story, even though she missed Liam. It seemed that she was determined to do the right thing, and reserved to her fate as a Children's League member. I liked that she took her responsibilities seriously, but I wasn't impressed that she never regretted using her abilities on Liam at the end of the first book.

The storyline in this was okay, and it was nice to see some old faces from book 1, but this book just felt way too long. Reading in 50 page chunks was fine, but trying to read more than that just dragged. I don't know why, but I just felt that the story was going so slowly, and I could read for an hour and only be 5% further on in the book, and the fact that I still had such a huge portion of the book to go was a bit disheartening.

There was stuff going on in this book, and there was some action, which was good, but again the pace ruined this a bit for me. Even pushing through the last 15% was difficult, which should probably have been the best part of the book. I seriously considered just not finishing I was so fed up by the end. This was a real shame, as I really liked the beginning of the book, and thought it was better than the first.

The ending itself was alright, and there was some action and an unexpected death, I was so bored by this point though that it had less of an effect on me. We were also left with a freaking cliff-hanger, and at the moment I'm not sure whether I can even think about dragging myself through the next book.
Overall; okay story, but way too long.
6.5 out of 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ruby steps up and shows everyone how they do it in Orange..., 24 Oct 2013
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Never Fade (Darkest Minds) (Hardcover)
The second in the The Darkest Mindsseries.
An interesting YA dystopian story with some fresh ideas.
Due to a virus certain DNA has mutated in children and those mutations eventually evolve into powers. The afflicted children are given specific colour codes so they can be identified. Unfortunately this leads to a class culture of sorts, with red being the strongest colour for instance and each colour representing the type of power.
The people who have not been affected by the virus treat the children/teens as a threat. A threat that needs to be contained in camps, tortured and exterminated if need be. Then there are other adult fractions who use the children/teens and their abilities to fight their political battles. Not exactly easy being a hybrid when everyone stops thinking of you as a human and regards you as a monster instead.
Living in a society that is rewarded for handing over any of those lucky enough to escape the camps is difficult, when there is a bounty on your head and any person could be a collaborateur.
Although Ruby and her relationship with Liam is bandied about a lot in this book, the real focus is on Ruby. After experiencing Ruby as the weakest link in book 1 it was quite a pleasant surprise to see her show some strength, dominance and leadership qualities.
In the previous book she viewed other Oranges (her own colour) as power hungry and out of control, because they used their abilities to get what they wanted regardless of the consequences. Now she is confronted with a dilemma, she can either use her powers to save herself and her friends or die with her sense of righteous nobility intact.
Not such a hard decision when your back is against the wall and you really want to live.
Except for Ruby it is the beginning of an inner conflict. She fears the lack of boundaries she acquires when using her powers. The power seems to take over part of her conscious mind and is capable of extreme destruction. A fact she is shocked by and scared of and at the same time deep inside she is in awe of her own power.
I think Vida gets slated for being so hard and unfriendly. Watch this space is all I will say because I can see Ruby and Vida connecting on a level that defies their relationship so far.
I really enjoyed the read and highly recommend it.
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley.

4.0 out of 5 stars Next big thing, great series., 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: Never Fade (Darkest Minds) (Hardcover)
I went into this series not knowing much about it but after finishing The Darkest Minds (The first book in the series) I was addicted, could not put this book down. Cannot wait for the next one.

Never Fade (Darkest Minds)
Never Fade (Darkest Minds) by Alexandra Bracken (Hardcover - 15 Oct 2013)
9.87