Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 27 October 2006
Another great Artemis Fowl story brought to life by Nathaniel Parker with all his wonderful character accents. The smarmy Artemis, muscular Butler, loyal Holly, bumptious Commander Root and Mulch with his prolific bum-flap are all back to entertain us again. This may well be better appreciated if you have heard/read the other Artemis Fowl stories first but does stand alone. Lots of cliff hangers, comedy and emotion as one of the long-standing characters is killed off. Well worth the ordering wait to have the full version rather than the abridged.
on 19 May 2006
I, like many others, feared for the worst when the 3rd book ended with little hope for a 4th.But Eoin Colfer stepped up to the plate once again producing the Opaldeception, possibly the best yet in the series.

There are so many twists, so much action and such wit you'll bereeling by the end. The plot is clever, intriguing and unpredictable. A must read for any Artemis Fowl fan!
on 1 October 2006
Personally I think Eoin Colfer is a great author but with the Artemis Fowl books he has really out done himself. The first book is defenitely the best it's full of suspense, magic and close encounters. From the very fist paragraph it had me hooked, it is definetly a book to read if you like suspense filled action packed, with a little bit of violence, books. It is simply brilliant!!!
on 2 September 2009
I bought this thinking that it was the unabridged version as there was no description to say that it wasn't. There was my first mistake.
When it arrived, the packaging said it was the abridged version. I therefore organised returning the product.
I then tried to update the details of the product on the description using the tools available on Amazon. I received an email stating that they could not add the "abridged" sub note I was wanting to put against the product as they couldn't verify it.
The one star I've given was for the returns policy of Amazon. Very easy to use.
However, I think someone should take the time to check their products and make sure it shows whether it is an abridged or unabridged version.

Sorry for the rant.
on 3 July 2007
This books starts off well with someone very important in the books being killed, and Holly being in the frame for something she would never do. Its easily guessed who the mastermind is... Opal, as in the title. But, like I said it starts of well, and then goes downhill, the main reason being that Opal seems to get dumber as you go through the book and ends up losing because of her sudden obsession with chocolates and because of her even dumber sidekicks she has hired.

But dont get me wrong its a good book, its just that the whole point of the book is Opal's clever plan, and then she suddenly becomes dumb, and of course Artemis is still super clever and wins.

The Next book in the series (Lost Colony) is much, much better.
VINE VOICEon 12 March 2008
Barcode: 9780141315492

...And maybe the best one at that too. Colfer's writing is always a joy to read, his innovative sci-fi/fantasy blend presenting a fantastic backdrop for amazing characters. Artemis and Holly as a duo have been the true stars of the show since i read the first book years ago and i'm so glad to see the series is still going strong in this book. Mulch and Butler are of course fantastic in the comedic element they provide.

In The Opal Deception we also see the return of Opal Koboi. A fascinating villain, she represents a fair match for Artemis's amazing intelligence and as they bounce tricks and plans off each other we get a action-packed, tense thriller of a novel that i whipped through - a proper page turner!
on 19 January 2008
I started to read the Artemis Fowl books when I was 8, my uncle was a great fan and I was stuck with nothing to read in his house but them. I started reading the first book and I don't know what it was, maybe I was too young ro understand properly but I didn't really enjoy them. All the same I read on until I got to the Opal Deception a few years later.

Here Harry Potter (my favourite books ever) met their match!
Artemis Fowl and the Opal Deception is cleverly written, non-stop action and non-stop fun.
Opal Koboi is back with even more determination than before!

I'll say no more, just read the book and you'll see what I mean!!
on 28 July 2006
Eoin Colfer, creater of a masterpiece.

After his previous three books i thought that this book would follow on from a previous plot and make the whole series look completely dreary. How wrong i was.

With things seemingly linking together throughout the book and linking back to previous ones it both keeps the reader thinking, whilst offering a tantalising read which keeps the reader from putting the book down.

The book was so good, i read it in one day. But thats me, im a readoholic and it was more or less a non stop 24 hour job. So there is plenty of reading time! Or am i just a slow reader?

But any true fan of the series, i urge you. Please buy this book!
on 8 May 2011
Like all the Artemis Fowl books Eoin Colfer writes very well, the plots are well thought out. There is no lag in the action. Although it is intended primarily as a book for children it is equally readable by adults, with as much enjoyment. The characters are well rounded out and believable and the setting, although fantasy, is so well written that you could imagine it really happening! Always a good read, as are so many of his books.
on 28 March 2014
I can't believe what a good plot this book has; with a dozen twists and unexpected plans, there is no stopping the chaos Holly and Artemis can get themselves into! I also greatly enjoy the way the book picks up on small to very important details from the previous book e.g: Butler finding it hard to breath because of the kevlar strands in his chest from The Eternity Code. BUY NOW!