TOP 100 REVIEWERon 25 September 2005
Perhaps you have already read one or both of Daniel Goleman's previous books, Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ for Character, Health, and Lifelong Achievement (1995) and Working with Emotional Intelligence (1998). If not, I presume to suggest that you do so before reading this volume in which Goleman, Richard Boyatzis, and Annie McKee develop in much greater depth and with much wider application many of the same core concepts introduced in those earlier works. In fact, as the authors explain in the Preface, this book goes far beyond two articles which appeared even earlier in the Harvard Business Review ("What Makes a Leader" and "Leadership That Gets Results") "to advance a new concept: primal leadership. The fundamental task, we argue, is to prime good feelings in those they lead. That occurs when a leader creates [italics] resonance -- a reservoir of positivity that frees the best in people. At its root, then, the primal job of leadership is emotional."
Goleman, Boyatzis, and McKee carefully organize their material within Three Parts: The Power of Emotional Intelligence, Making Leaders, and Building Emotional Intelligent Organizations. The insights, strategies, and tactics provided are all based on the authors' several decades of real-world experience with all manner of organizations as well as on insights gained through direct and extensive contact with various leaders. In the final chapter, the authors observe: "In sum, the best leadership programs [ones which focus on the process of talent development] are designed for culture, competencies, and even spirit. They adhere to the principles of self-directed change and use a multifaceted approach to the learning and development process itself that focuses on the individual, team, and organization." I am reminded of what the Mahatma Gandhi once asserted: "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." What should be the defining values throughout the inevitably difficult change process?
Goleman, Boyatzis, and McKee are absolutely certain that the most effective leaders "are more values-driven, more flexible and informal, and more open and frank than leaders of old. They are more connected to people and to networks. More especially, they exude resonance: They have genuine passion for their mission, and that passion is contagious. Their enthusiasm and excitement spread spontaneously, invigorating those they lead. And resonance is the key to primal leadership." Does all this describe the kind of person you wish to follow? If so, then become the same kind of leader for others to follow.
Those who share my high regard for this book are urged to check out James O'Toole's The Executive Compass, David Maister's Practice What You Preach, David Whyte's The Heart Aroused, and Larry Bossidy and Ram Charan's Execution: The Discipline of Getting Results.
VINE VOICEon 9 October 2007
It really is - it's the American edition of the same book! So don't buy it if you already have 'The New Leaders' - which is an excellent book by the way.
VINE VOICEon 5 December 2007
In many ways this audio CD is better than the book it is based on. Goleman's writing style can be stodgy, but his audio presentation is very good and it is great to hear the author emphasising the lessons that he thinks are important. Buy this if you use EI in business.
on 6 January 2012
This book first introduced me to the concept of Emotional Intelligence (EQ) and it was not something I had consciously appreciated before, but boy is he right.

I see it time and time again in business, where even extremely intelligent (IQ) people will make a complete mess of a situation, as they are unable to read people correctly or communicate in an effective manner. It can be said they hold a low EQ which can be expressed as lack of empathy, misunderstanding people and miss reading situations etc.

This is why some of the great leaders, have not necessarily been academically brilliant, but they understand people and know how to connect with them in a meaningful way.

The good news is Emotional Intelligence can be grown and this book does a fantastic job in helping the reader develop EQ in a leadership setting.
on 26 February 2014
Having worked within many large and consequently complex organisations, from the public sector to the private commercial businesses, the area that was most often neglected in any sort of training and development were what most leaders referred to as those 'soft skills' or 'people skills' - A favorite phrase I was exposed to was 'you've either got it or you haven't' or 'you can't measure soft skills, so what use is training in them, if you can't see the return on investment'......It's taken me a while and perhaps because I stepped into the abyss, right out of my comfort zone and became my own boss in the biggest adventure of my life thus far.... but at last this book 'Primal leadership' originally written and appealing to the US market, Retitled for the UK market 'New Leaders, Transforming the Art of Leadership' provides the evidence base and framework from which to diagnose those emotional intelligent or unintelligent 'soft skills' we individually and as a team posess, how they impact on our very being and what we can do about it.....

Daniel Golman has successfully collaborated with his peers and colleagues to make the scientific language of research that so often gets in the way of greater understanding, accessible and meaningful with great use of case studies. I originally bought the audio book of this as in my own journey to greater Emotional and Social Intelligence, I recognised my predominant learning style is auditory...it made such an impact on my thinking, I wanted the hard copy so I could read, digest and make notes in the pages....This also lead me to become licensed and accredited to deliver the Emotional and Social Competancy Inventory (ESCI) 360 feedback tool within my own Personal and Professional development programs designed for Sales individuals, teams and Leaders ........ Awesome resource for Leaders who are open to understanding the wider picture and questioning the norms of 'it's always been done this way' thinking.
on 2 July 2008
This audio CD (all 7 of them!) were a real inspiration to me. I will no doubt be listening to them again and again to consolidate and build on the application of Emotional Intelligence. What makes this so captivating is the regular examples of leadership styles within organisations. I have already recommended this audio CD/book to friends and colleagues.
on 22 August 2009
This is a book which gives insights into the good and bad, positive and negative styles of leadership/how to get the best out of your employees and your own working relationships. The style of writing is easy to read and professional.

Throughout the reading of it I have picked up many points for improvement for myself and for clients.
on 28 August 2013
This book really challenges views on how leadership is performed. Quotes mistakes made by CEO's who have misjudged their staffs emotional state and underestimated the impact of their own. Being emotionally intelligent means more effective and resonant leadership whichever job you are leader in. An essential read for managers.
on 2 July 2011
The first book I have read about Emotional Intelligence per se. I found this book an interesting read, which outlined concepts and then related them to real world situations. This clarified the ideas raised by Goleman effectively. A good introductory text to the ideas of EI in the leadership context, many of the theories can be related to other authors such as Covey.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants to get a good overview of the general concepts of EI. Easy to read and understand.
on 1 November 2010
I am a little frustrated that I read The New Leaders over a year ago; it was a great read...in preparation for my dissertation, I then purchased Primal Leadership... reading the book anew...

A mistake and waste of money and time for me!

BUT - the content of either of these books is in fact very well written and insightful.