5.0 out of 5 stars This is a thing of beauty, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: Uzumaki: 3-in-1 Deluxe Edition (Hardcover)
Uzumaki has had several releases over here in past years - which is something of a blessing considering how lucky we are to haev any Junji Ito at all considering most of his catalogue either hasn't made it over here, or is now out of print.

For those who have never encountered it, Uzumaki is a Japanese horror manga in which the main characters find their lives increasingly invaded by spirals - snails, tornadoes, whirlpools. Anything spiral related starts to haunt the town. It's a very creepy read, going in imaginative and freaky directions and often leaving you on the edge of your seat.

This re-release of Uzumaki is by far the best version I've owned so far. It's a large, hardback that includes all three versions of Uzumaki - with the bonus chapter that was included in the original third volume now finally inserted into its proper place in the story. The colour pages make the transition to the hardback too - the contents is exactly as you'd like, no compromises here.

The hardback cover itself is beautiful. Feeling very durable, the artwork on it is creepy and reflects the story - lots of swirls and faces.

If you've never read Uzumaki and it interests you, this is essential. If you already own another edition of Uzumaki, this is still worth the money. It's a thing of beauty to look at.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 6 Aug 2014
This review is from: Uzumaki: 3-in-1 Deluxe Edition (Hardcover)
This book was recommended to me by my boyfriend, Gary and also a Goodreads Member called Billion Star Warrior.

As the book was already on my bookshelf I decided to have a look at it and I completed the whole thing in one sitting! I love manga books anyway but I really enjoyed this one. The element of horror is strong whilst not forced and the story hooks you in.

The beautiful artwork in this book coupled with the narration from Kirie throughout the book is far superior to the film. When I first watched the film I didn't really understand it, having now read the book I will revisit the film and see if it makes any more sense but my current thinking is that it was missing something.

I'm not going to go too far into the story because I don't want to ruin it for anybody but it is about a town called Kurouzu-cho and the characters find themselves surrounded more and more by spirals. Everywhere they look, they find more and more spirals and during this story you will witness what an obsession like that can do to a person.

This is not the first time I've heard of Junji Ito, I have been aware of his other works such as Tomie and Gyo. I have also watched the Tomie films but not read the books, so now that I have read my first Junji Ito book, I will definitely be reading more!

4.0 out of 5 stars My First Ito!, 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: Uzumaki: 3-in-1 Deluxe Edition (Hardcover)
Originally published in 3 volumes this 2010 Japanese horror manga is a twisted ride to read. I love the horror genre but have not sampled much of it in manga yet. If the field can be judged by this book alone, there must be some awesome stuff out there. This is an incredibly disturbing story. There is a bit of a plotting problem with the second volume as the boyfriend just seems to disappear until the end and the chapters become episodic rather than focusing on the goal of the plot. However that all comes back together with the third volume and all answers are revealed to the extent that they can be when the evil is the "power of the spiral". Characters are not developed enough to care about them and their reactions are totally not those of a normal person but perhaps the spiral has been working on them longer than we even realise. LOL These are the things that make me rate the book 4 stars, however, on pure adrenaline and horror shock value I had an incredible read. With each incident becoming more and more freakish and fantastic. This is not a blood and guts horror. There is a bit of blood but it's not from slashing, rather from the disturbing situations that occur. T+ seems a fair enough rating, some 13+ may be ok with it but the imagery is startling and unsettling. The artwork is absolutely brilliant. Overall, the art, imagery and ghoulishness of the story make up for any plotting problems and I fond this a deliciously disturbing Japanese horror story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically Horrible, 8 Aug 2014
This review is from: Uzumaki: 3-in-1 Deluxe Edition (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this short horror manga. The art is fabulous and the story telling is brilliant. I was slowly drawn in to the fantastically horrible world of the village taken over by the power of the spiral.The 3-in-1 Deluxe Edition is of very good quality. A chance find that has pleased me very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars messed up but awesome, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Uzumaki: 3-in-1 Deluxe Edition (Hardcover)
This is one of the best books I have ever bought. Great story line. Quick delivery. Great quality. Obssessed with spirals now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insanity., 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Uzumaki: 3-in-1 Deluxe Edition (Hardcover)
This is my first time reading a manga from Junji Ito and god is this manga disturbing...ly awesome. No but it really is disturbing in a good way (for me) because I've never read a manga quite like this.

I recommend it if you want a short disturbing horror manga that turns people into snails,cannibalism and all sorts of crazy.

4.0 out of 5 stars a joy to, 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: Uzumaki: 3-in-1 Deluxe Edition (Hardcover)
Very very odd, a joy to read

4.0 out of 5 stars spirales, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Uzumaki: 3-in-1 Deluxe Edition (Hardcover)
very nice art, lovely double page pieces, spirals are cool. the snails were cool, the story was very thrilling xd

Uzumaki: 3-in-1 Deluxe Edition
Uzumaki: 3-in-1 Deluxe Edition by Junji Ito (Hardcover - 21 Nov 2013)
14.39