5.0 out of 5 stars I was impressed, to say the least!
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots by Project Itoh -- 5/5 stars

Published 18 months ago by super antpod

3.0 out of 5 stars Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriots DIRECTOR'S CUT!
Published 17 months ago by Hagier

5.0 out of 5 stars I was impressed, to say the least!, 5 Jun 2013
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots by Project Itoh -- 5/5 stars

I was impressed, to say the least. I didn't have very high expectations for this novel, after my experience with the first two Metal Gear Solid novels. The first two novels weren't bad, by any means, but they read like very accurate representations of the first two games, and although I enjoyed those novels, they lacked a voice of their own, in my opinion.

This was different. From the outset the novel was a unique read. I enjoyed the explanations because I felt they did well to tie the first three Metal Gear Solid games in with this novel. The explanations acted as a bridge to understanding. However, a new reader to the Metal Gear series would probably be a bit flummoxed with the number of new characters introduced in this story, which could put them off.

As I continued to read the story slowly unfolded. The action speeded up and there was more to make this story stand out, on its own merits. It had a voice, and a unique message to readers, which felt characteristic of the Metal Gear video games, and which I liked greatly.

The feeling at the end was of satisfaction. I have never played the Metal Gear Solid 4 videogame, but I felt this book answered the questions posed in all three previous games. The same feeling of elation and absorbing interest that I had experienced with those three games was mirrored in this novel. If you want to read a great Metal Gear novel then this is the one. If new readers can get used to the unfamiliar names in the first half of the book then they will probably be interested in the conclusion in this story, which is very interesting and well ... epic.

Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriot

3.0 out of 5 stars Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriots DIRECTOR'S CUT!, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriot (Paperback)
This was the last book written by Project Itoh before he passed away from terminal cancer. And he was a fellow friend of Hideo Kojima and a fan of this great video game franchise. As such, if you're a fan of this writer's work and a fan of Metal Gear then you should probably consider getting this book and reading it if you want a more quick to the point description of the game if you don't actually fancy playing through it again or don't want to.

That said the book itself is very basic and very easy to read that people of all ages can pick it up. One of the things that was most interesting about this book was the deletion of the Beauty and the Beast Unit. They do not appear and thus the book goes on a lot quicker. And there are certain story changes involving Ocelot and other characters. The most important thing to actually remember about this book before purchasing it is that its all told from the point of view of Otacon. In a clever and yet disappointing way we see the story and characters from his eyes or thoughts if you will.

Not bad by any means and alot of understanding gone into what he is feeling and what the other characters are possibly feeling but overall disappointing since you don't really see what makes the other characters tick. But again, if you enjoy reading, enjoy Metal Gear, are a fan of the late Project Itoh then I guess all I can say is this, its a Must Read for those fans. Buy and Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book by a talented author., 16 Jun 2014
Having played the game several times I was expecting the book to just follow it but I was somewhat surprised at how much detail has gone into it. I found the extra info very useful as I didn't catch onto it whilst playing the games in the series and It was cool and nostalgic when it mentioned the past games. This is a book that can be read and enjoyed by anyone so you don't even have to play the games to understand it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 29 May 2013
Sam (Liverpool UK) - See all my reviews
A great read for any Metal Gear fans written by possibly the greatest fan of all. Using Otacon for the narrative viewpoint at first sounds off-putting, but you can't help but warm to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best game-to-novel out there (not highly contested, granted), 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriot (Paperback)
First of all, I am a Metal Gear Solid fan, but I have not played the actual game. So this allowed me to in a sense, 'play' it whilst still not paying the £300-odd for a PS3. As well as telling the (heartbreaking) story of MGS4, it also recaps on the entire series, with flashbacks to Otacon and Snake's past. Otacon narrates, but the aged, dying Snake is still the star of the show. Well worth a read-such a shame the author was taken from the world so soon. I doubt we'll see a Ground Zeroes novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriot (Paperback)
Relatively fast arriving speed. Other than the usual but sad bent edges and a few scratches upon arrival, I think this was a fine buy for the price,

Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriot
Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriot by Project Itoh (Paperback - 5 July 2012)