4.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Dreams and Desires, 3 Feb. 2015
Book Gannet (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a sweet, easy read with a nice Victorian setting. Yes, Melissa is naive, but not irritatingly so given her upbringing. I did find it a little hard to believe that some one as awe-struck, curious and occasionally spirited as she was would have put up with being confined to her rooms for so long, but her wonder at the simplest of things was lovely to read. Just as her slow realisation of the status of her birth being a bad thing was so sad. Poor Melissa.

Then there’s John. What an idiot. I mean that in the nicest possible way, of course, but still… Yep, he’s a fool. I understand him wanting to keep his word to his father and not wanting to damage his father’s reputation and all, given his political leanings, but it took him so long not only to realise what he felt for Melissa, but that he couldn’t let her marry someone else. It’s cute, in a vaguely exasperating way. I did, however, love how his bafflement was reflected in the relationship between his father and Diane, the chaperone. Now that was fun.

Okay, if I wanted to be nitpicky I might question the likelihood of Charles – or any of them – hauling a catfish out of an English stream, and wonder at the chipmunk reference, amongst other Americanisms, but on the whole this was sweet and fun, with a lovely air of innocence and plenty of charm. Perhaps the sinister element was wrapped up too neatly, but I can’t say I disapproved of the ending. In all this was a nice easy historical that made me smile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching and unpredictable story, 10 April 2013
The Mad Lord's Daughter is one of my favorite books. I read a lot of reviews about character building but this one is unique because of the original setup it starts from. I think it is impossible not to fall in love with this story and Melissa, the main character.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slight confusion., 10 Mar. 2015
I like that the thoughts of most of the characters in the novel is revealed.
The prologue was slightly confusing due mainly there were no dates on it, so I wasn't sure the timeframe of the proper story.
Also there was no proper explanation why she was kept isolated. There were a bit of an explanation but I don't think that was enough.
Overall not too bad a novel.. I would recommend it.

Mad Lords Daughter, The
Mad Lords Daughter, The by Jane Goodger (Mass Market Paperback - 7 Aug. 2012)