5.0 out of 5 stars Very addictive. Blades of the Rose, Book Two., 21 Nov. 2010
Detra Fitch (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose) (Mass Market Paperback)
As mankind developed, so did its capacity for destruction and abuse. To keep mankind from annihilating itself, magic needed to be hidden. Even though magic was sheltered in myth and legend, people managed to concentrate it into physical objects that hold great power. Those objects are known as Sources. Most are safely hidden from those that would exploit them, such as the Heirs of Albion. The Heirs believe that Britain and its citizens are superior to all others and should rule the world. They have already managed to get hold of the Primal Source from Africa. It is the oldest and most powerful Source of all. No one knows what horrors will occur should the Heirs manage to unlock its secrets. One group stands and fights the Heirs. They are known as the Blades of the Rose. The Blades believe that no one should rule over all. Where the Heirs pillage, plunder, and slaughter, the Blades help and protect.

London Harcourt never knew that her brother, father, and even her late husband were major players of the Heirs of Albion. The Heirs do not allow women in their elite group. London always thought they worked for the government in some fashion. Her father, Joseph Edgeworth, has a seat within the inner circle and is planning to subjugate the world's magic to British rule. After her smothering marriage and three years of widowhood, London is thrilled to travel with her father to the Greek isles. She only wishes the horrid men around her father were not accompanying them. London is the only known speaker of a dialect of ancient Greek that holds the key to calling down the wrath of the gods. Of course, London has no idea what it is her father wants her to translate. But then she meets Day.

Bennett Day has always had a way with the ladies. After all, a man has to have some stress relief after dodging lethal attacks to protect the Sources. When he meets London, it is obvious she has been kept in the dark as to the destruction the men around her has accomplished and have plans to do in the near future. Can Bennett and his allies open London's eyes to the truth? Once done, will the lovely and brilliant linguist join the Blades against her father? And can Bennett survive the spell London seems to be weaving around his heart?

***** FIVE STARS! This story is a Historical Romance with a touch of the paranormal. I believe that the story also has an "Indiana Jones" flavoring to it. Action, drama, suspense, and romance all blend together to form a whirlwind adventure that kept me super-glued to the pages. Well developed characters, with manners depicted true for their era, and a sold base-plot makes the story very believable. And minor sub-plots keep the story flowing smoothly, enticing readers to continue turning the pages for more. Admirably crafted and very addictive. *****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sea, Sex & Magic!, 5 Oct. 2010
Sea, Sex & Magic! This is exactly how I would sum up this book. I really enjoyed reading Warrior, the first book in the Blades of the Rose series...but Scoundrel...ohhhh Scoundrel was just fantastic! I'm thinking it has to do with the fact that the world, the magic was already known to me, so it took me less time to get into the book. But of course, I'm lying. The real reason lies elsewhere. From the first page, I fell in love with the hero.

I LOVE Bennet Day. There, I've said it. How can I not love him? We start the book with him trying to escape a very angry husband. And all the while, Bennet jokes about it. Ben is a libertine, and I have a thing for naughty libertines *grin* (nahh he's not that bad guys don't worry). And most of all I love his sense of humor. I should stop now because seriously I could go on and on and on about how I love this hero.

There is not one page I didn't like in this book. The story is fast paced and I kept being surprised by all the things happening. This is a real adventure book, I felt like a treasure hunter on a mission. It was FAN-TA-STIC! Zoe Archer mix legends and myths with her own world, and the result is gripping. I had a very hard time closing this book.

Ahem...of course I feel I should warn you...the smex is SO HOT it'll melt you down on the spot! lol Our heroine is not a pure little virgin flower, oh no she knows how to have fun lol. The smex was very steamy, there's this one scene in a temple on an altar... O_O *sits on ice* Ok I can't tell you more but seriously this book will help you stay warm throughout the Winter. *g*

The secondary characters are worth mentioning, and it was pretty funny to see Athena and the Captain always arguing. At the end of the book we meet Catullus Grave, and I can't wait to read his book. But the next book in the series , Rebel, is not about him, it's about Astrid. So I'll have to wait a little longer to read his book. *wink*

Scoundrel is a fantastic (yes I said that 3 times already!) adventure. When I finished it, I felt like I had been sunbathing in Greece with our heroes, and roaming the seas on their boat (with the advantage of not being seasick LOL). Zoe Archer has a talent for making you feel like you really visited all those exotic countries. I can't say it enough, I can't have enough of these books.

I give Scoundrel 5 Bookies

Caroline.
The HEA Lover
[...]

Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose)
Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose) by Zoe Archer (Mass Market Paperback - 5 Nov. 2010)