4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the earlier books

Published 5 months ago by Mrs. K. A. Wheatley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars I needed to have read the others first, 28 Mar 2014
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Princess Labelmaker to the Rescue: An An Origami Yoda Book 5 (Origami Yoda Series) (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have bought the first few books of this series for our upper Key Stage Two readers for their classroom reading corners. I chose them because they looked rather like the Wimpy Kid books the children seem to love, and had lots of geek references that the children would also love. So far, however, I have managed to persuade very few of them to try them. It seems that children fear new things, and until I can crack one child and they love it, the others aren't going anywhere near them.

I was offered this, fifth volume in the series to review for Amazon Vine and thought I ought to give it a go in the hope it would give me more persuasive powers to get others to read it.

I have to say that starting at volume five is not terribly helpful and it is clear from the get go that these books need to be read in order. This continues a long and fairly complex story with lots of in jokes and references to things that have happened in other books. There is little character back story and I spent a lot of the time struggling to figure out what was going on.

Other than that I think it will really appeal to the children I picked these for. Very geeky, lots of jokes, lots of things to do, like origami folding tips in the back to make your own Princess Leia, lots of asides and cartoons and drawings and lots of interesting graphic techniques which make the book more than just a dreary novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the earlier books, 17 July 2014
A. Milne "themilnes" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My sons are Star Wars mad, so when we stumbled across the Origami Yoda series they just had to read them. They are written in quite a similar style to the Wimpy Kid and Tom Gates series - Wimpy Kid my boys aren't too keen on, but Tom Gates they love - and they loved these books at first...but the magic seems to have gradually waned and by this, the fifth book in the series, they simply gave it an "ok". Apparently it's not quite as funny as the first ones and in some places the dialogue got a bit annoying.

Still, this series kept them quiet for a little while and they did enjoy having a go at the origami at the end of each book. If your child is a fan of the Wimpy Kid/Tom Gates style of book...and it helps if they're a Star Wars fan too or else they may not get some of the jokes...then this series could definitely be worth a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars There are lots of wonderfully visual jokes which parody the Star Wars Universe in ..., 17 July 2014
Jack Chakotay "Ender Brazil" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Origami Yoda was a novel concept with much to applaud, Think Lego Star Wars animation with origami and you should immediately get the picture, There are lots of wonderfully visual jokes which parody the Star Wars Universe in the same vein.

Book 5 is no different. By now, the timeline of the Star Wars universe has been subverted enough that Leia- I mean Labelmaker takes center stage. However, for the initiate picking up this book "out of order" this is daunting.

The origami is great fun. (C'mon, Vader made of paper, kid makes that and he's cool). It is a hit for the targeted audience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Princess Labelmaker, 18 Aug 2014
southcoastreviewer "perpetual student" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You need to read these books in order, to unlock the inner-geek in your child. These stories are reasonably complex for the age range they're aimed at, so I would also recommend guided reading from an adult, rather than purchasing the stories and hoping the children can 'run with them'.

Adults will love the in-genre references, which abound throughout the stories. Rewarding reads for all concerned, though they do take a little effort from both parties :)

3.0 out of 5 stars My little star wars fan enjoyed this. It would have been an easier read ..., 14 July 2014
Pompom (Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My little star wars fan enjoyed this. It would have been an easier read though if we had read the others first..... Engaging enough with jokes and even origami to interest the reader.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another hit for fans of the series, but you should read Origami Yoda first, 12 July 2014
Beansmummy (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Another hit with my nearly-11-year-old who has read the rest of the series. Not as good as Origami Yoda or Darth Paper, apparently, but still kept him happily absorbed for a few hours. And then he absolutely had to remake the whole series of paper figures, yet again. Great fun

3.0 out of 5 stars Marmite, 3 July 2014
Keith Lawson (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
One nephew loves it; the other thinks it's rubbish.
As an adult, I would wish the kids to read something that will improve their literacy skills (this isn't it) but recognise they should have some fun reads as well. Looking at other reviews, they confirm this book is "marmite". I don't know of anything similar so I could say "if you like this...then you'll like this". You'll need to let the child see some test pages before you buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was a good idea, 1 July 2014
L. E. Cooper "Lindsey" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My Son didn't really go for this, he did like the finger puppets but he didn't get into the story at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange but good, 26 Jun 2014
Miss "crazyminx" (Coventry) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly, make sure you buy these books in order! This is the fifth in the series, and it'll make a lot less sense if you haven't read the previous ones.

It's definitely an interesting book, and it's written in a really engaging way, with a charming style. The illustrations and different fonts make it fun to read, and the Star Wars themed jokes are pretty good. I found myself laughing occasionally, especially at Yoda!

That said though, this is a really weird book! The whole presence of the hand puppets isn't really explained and makes no sense to me; I'd say this is best for kids and teenagers who don't care about logic!

Worth a look for Star Wars fans; I'd give it 3.5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Number 5, 23 Jun 2014
Me read (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is book number 5 in the Origami Yoda series and although I haven't read the others in the series I was still able to enjoy it as a standalone, although there are a few characters and situations that would make more sense if the earlier books had been read first. It's still a cute book though.

It's very nicely presented and will no doubt appeal to Star Wars fans and anyone who just enjoys a bit of a laugh.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›