4.0 out of 5 stars May the folds be with you
This is the fifth book in the series and so not really the place to start if you’re new to the world of ‘Origami Yoda’. These aren’t really books that work very well as standalone tales. Some sort of indication of this might be useful on the cover, as there is no mention of the fact that this is Book 5.

This volume borrows elements from...
Published 2 months ago by R. C. McGinlay

3.0 out of 5 stars I needed to have read the others first
Published 12 months ago by Mrs. K. A. Wheatley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars I needed to have read the others first, 28 Mar. 2014
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Princess Labelmaker to the Rescue: An An Origami Yoda Book 5 (Origami Yoda Series) (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have bought the first few books of this series for our upper Key Stage Two readers for their classroom reading corners. I chose them because they looked rather like the Wimpy Kid books the children seem to love, and had lots of geek references that the children would also love. So far, however, I have managed to persuade very few of them to try them. It seems that children fear new things, and until I can crack one child and they love it, the others aren't going anywhere near them.

I was offered this, fifth volume in the series to review for Amazon Vine and thought I ought to give it a go in the hope it would give me more persuasive powers to get others to read it.

I have to say that starting at volume five is not terribly helpful and it is clear from the get go that these books need to be read in order. This continues a long and fairly complex story with lots of in jokes and references to things that have happened in other books. There is little character back story and I spent a lot of the time struggling to figure out what was going on.

Other than that I think it will really appeal to the children I picked these for. Very geeky, lots of jokes, lots of things to do, like origami folding tips in the back to make your own Princess Leia, lots of asides and cartoons and drawings and lots of interesting graphic techniques which make the book more than just a dreary novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars May the folds be with you, 20 Jan. 2015
R. C. McGinlay (Ilford, Essex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

This volume borrows elements from ‘Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope’, in that the mysterious Princess Labelmaker gives a case file to Rabbski to explain that the FunTime Menace is not as fun and educational as believed, but is in fact evil. Rabbski and the Alliance go up against the school board in a bid to save both their electives and a field trip to Washington.

What author Tom Angleberger has crafted here is a book aimed at young readers, with elements they can relate to, and mixed in rather bizarre elements of both the ‘Star Wars’ universe and a strange alternative timeline. Take, for example, the chapter ‘The Saga of Luckyyucky’ which opens with James explaining how hard it is to sneak onto the computers in the library to play ‘Deathbourne’. Almost every child will instantly relate to that. Strip out the numerous 'Star Wars' references and what you have is just as strong a tale about school life and childhood friendship.

From a design point of view, I was impressed with the layout of the book. Each page is designed to look like crushed paper and there are numerous drawings and handwritten notes dotted all over the place. I was slightly disappointed that the Tie Fighters and X-Wing doodles in the bottom corner of each page weren’t used to create a flipbook.

The back of the book also includes instructions on how to create your very own origami Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker.

For those that have been following this series from Book 1, this will be a welcome release.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and exciting in equal measures., 14 May 2014
Karen Baxter (Wales UK) - See all my reviews

What is it?
'Princess Labelmaker to the rescue' is the 5th book in the Origami Yoda series written and illustrated by Tom Angleberger. In their continuing fight against Professor Funtime, the gang must rescue u e their comrade Mike, protect their pal Murky from a nasty attack, put on a musical version of "Olivia" Twist and face a final showdown with the school board and Professor Funtime himself! To battle the professor, they'll need to recruit a powerful ally...Principal Rabbski!

Who's it for?
Perfect for readers aged 7 plus. My daughter is 8 and she thoroughly enjoys reading these books, in fact she has every book in the series so far. On occasions I read one of the books with her and I must say ... I have also been known to sneak a little peek when I'm on my own. I have even seen my teenage son reading Princess Labelmaker.

What's good about it?
The Origami Yoda Books are written and illustrated in a notebook format which makes this series of books fun to read.
Each book in the series is of a good length. 'Princess Labelmaker To The Rescue' is 184 pages.
At the back of the book are some pages showing you how to fold (origami style) Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker.
The illustrations are amazing and scattered throughout the book. There are humorous drawings on every page.
Princess Labelmaker is an exciting adventure story.

What's bad about it?
Sometimes the books can be a little confusing, this is mainly because there are so many notes and illustrations on each page that the main storyline is hard to follow, especially for the younger child.

In summing up
An excellent book in a superb series. A must for your child's bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars A review by my son aged 10, 12 Nov. 2014
Amazon Customer "Rich" (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
A short review by Henry Sullivan aged 10

Princess Label Maker to the Rescue is the 6th book in Tom Angleburger's best selling series Origami Yoda. I really enjoyed reading it and I'm sure your children would love it to.

The book is set in an North American middle school, named McQuarrie middle school. It all starts when the principal is sent a collection of stories [from the children's point of view] about a terrible learning program, called FunTime. The culprit of the sending call themselves Princess Label Maker. The stories also include the children, with the help of their Star Wars Origami puppets, help other children with their problems and mishaps. To really understand the book, you have to read the previous books.

Princess Label maker to the rescue! is aimed at 8-14 year olds, like me. It contains some rude words [only swear words to some parents].but can easily be forgiven. As the book has some different writing styles, which younger children may not be able to read. It has plenty of humour to get your children generating ideas for their English lessons [especially nonsense poems].

I think Princess Label maker is one of the BEST Origami Yoda books I have ever read. To conclude I would really encourage you to buy this book if you have a child aged 8-14, because, like me, I believe they will really enjoy reading it from start though to finish.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just .... Confusing and awful., 15 Feb. 2015
A. Cresswell "Bubblefish777 - Born again Diver" (london, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ok this is a review based on my subjective opinion.
I thought I need to make this clear as given there are another 5 books in the series then obviously the author is doing something right and it's appealing to some people but here's why I don't like it.

First I'm not sure what I'm reading here. Is it some kind of Star Wars spoof, amendment, kids adaption, comedy re-write, what? The stories make no sense and I'm unsure what they relate to. It seems to be filled with references to the other books so can I assume you need to have read them first.
There's endless doodles and other irrelevant things going on inside the book. As for Origami .... well no ... apart from some very very rubbish instructions to make a couple of the characters it's certainly not what I was expecting. I was expecting a book giving detailed instructions on how to make many of the characters from the star-wars universe instead you might as well scrunch a sheet of paper into a rough cylindrical shape, draw two eyes on the resulting ball of paper and call it (insert whatever character you think the ball of paper may resemble).

It's all unbelievably bad and didn't hold my attention for very long at all. Bad writing, mis-leading titles and poor instructions for the few tiny bit of available interaction has no endeared this to me at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, 26 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is, according to the child, brilliant. It certainly absorbed her and kept her busy for a number of hours. It is funny and a good read for young readers with an appreciation of Star Wars.

I think it is one of those books that the children need to be of an appropriate age to realise and understand that in places the grammar etc is supposed to be wrong - I would not want a younger child learning from it!

Would recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing if you haven't read the series, 18 May 2014
Michelle Moore (Dartford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As another reviewer has said, it would appear that you need to read these books in order - or at the very least read the first one first. As I started reading, I had no idea what was going on, and I had to come to amazon to read some reviews of the first book to work it out.

I can see two possible solutions - the first would be to make it clear that this is the fifth book in the series, even if by just putting a '5' on the spine. Secondly, include a small introduction, to explain the concept behind the books.

The style of the book does look as if it would attract younger, geeky readers, and possibly older geeky readers too! My 10 year old daughter loves books which are laid out differently, such as Tom Gates and Diary of a Wimpy Kid, so she would probably enjoy this style too.. and anyone interested in Star Wars would appreciate some of the puns and jokes. However, if they look interesting, please buy book 1 first!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the earlier books, 17 July 2014
A. Milne "themilnes" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My sons are Star Wars mad, so when we stumbled across the Origami Yoda series they just had to read them. They are written in quite a similar style to the Wimpy Kid and Tom Gates series - Wimpy Kid my boys aren't too keen on, but Tom Gates they love - and they loved these books at first...but the magic seems to have gradually waned and by this, the fifth book in the series, they simply gave it an "ok". Apparently it's not quite as funny as the first ones and in some places the dialogue got a bit annoying.

Still, this series kept them quiet for a little while and they did enjoy having a go at the origami at the end of each book. If your child is a fan of the Wimpy Kid/Tom Gates style of book...and it helps if they're a Star Wars fan too or else they may not get some of the jokes...then this series could definitely be worth a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good instalment in this series!, 7 April 2014
Viki "Viki" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This review is for: Princess Labelmaker to the Rescue: An Origami Yoda Book (Hardcover)
This Origami Yoga series is really good! My granddaughter loves reading anything she can get her hands on so I thought I would let her try these books.I think she has read each book at least twice already!
She recently told me she really likes this series and the characters in it and the way they try to save everyone. For anyone who is a Star Wars fan (like my son) and wants to have their child/ren into it also, this series is definitely a good idea. She has also been trying origami recently from a Star Wars book of origami that her Dad bought from Amazon and really enjoyed it so she likes the idea of having some in the back of her book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange but good, 26 Jun. 2014
Miss "crazyminx" (Coventry) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly, make sure you buy these books in order! This is the fifth in the series, and it'll make a lot less sense if you haven't read the previous ones.

It's definitely an interesting book, and it's written in a really engaging way, with a charming style. The illustrations and different fonts make it fun to read, and the Star Wars themed jokes are pretty good. I found myself laughing occasionally, especially at Yoda!

That said though, this is a really weird book! The whole presence of the hand puppets isn't really explained and makes no sense to me; I'd say this is best for kids and teenagers who don't care about logic!

Worth a look for Star Wars fans; I'd give it 3.5 stars.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›