Format: Hardcover|Change

on 13 November 2013
I didn't get my copy from amazon i got it from the natural history museum in london and its so much cheaper on amazon. But i honesty don't care it is a pleasure to own just a stunning book, and great quality the cover is beautiful and the the whole book in printed on nice thick paper. its is full of big photographs with lots of detail with plenty of text and captions. The main point i like is how it looks at curiosities from the past to the present, from huge vintage collections to modern artists that have be inspired by these items of wonder. It is the best book i have brought for a long time and some friends and family that have had a look even some who have showed no interest it this subject before have got themselves a copy. I recommend this book very highly and for £20 it is a complete steal for what you get if you are on the fence about this book just go for it and you will know what i mean :)
on 23 January 2014
I am an ethusiast of Wunderkammers so this book is my cup of tea. Beautifull photography and interesting articles.
I also love the graphic design.
on 2 June 2014
Great book. The pictures are beautiful and cover eccentric subjects. I wanted to read a book about this subject as I am interested in what people find to collect and I have a weak spot for storage. This book did not disappoint.
on 22 May 2015
A visual treat on an obscure but fascinating subject. This book takes the history of the Cabinet of Curiosity as a reflection of the social, intellectual and spiritual tone of the particular age. The language can at times be quite esoteric making it less of a casual read than Alexis Turner's Taxidermy but nonetheless it is packed full of wonderful photos and illustrations throughout and is a great companions piece the aforementioned Taxidermy.
on 19 September 2014
a brilliant and beautiful book on a fascinating subject
on 1 April 2016
Fantastic!!!
on 5 May 2016
Beautifully produced. Interesting and comprehensive.
on 4 May 2015
Not what I was expecting. The cover of the book is glorious and beckons, but the text is dull and reads like the author's dissertation I had hoped for a lovely trip into people's curiosity cabinets and interesting stories behind them. What I got was more a text book for study purposes, filled with dates and source references. The inclusion of museum collections is, in my view, cheating. And boring. This is so far from the curious read I was expecting that I am sorry I have parted with my £20. Very disappointed.
on 27 August 2014